Not Sure Which Speakers To Get

Dylan555

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have:
Yamaha RXV485 5.1 Amp, 80 Watts Per Channel, 6 ohms, Yamaha RXV485 (Black)
Tibo Edge 450 Front Speakers, 400 Watts, 4-8 ohms, Tibo Edge 450 (Black)
Subwoofer I'm currently wanting to upgrade but right now isn't important.

I'm wanting to get 3 more speakers to make this a proper 5.1 surround sound setup. I don't want to spend too much money. I'm a bit worried though that the wattage might not be strong enough. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Looking at standmount speakers, they're all about 50-100 watts, if I get 50 watt speakers, and then turn my amp up, could this damage the speakers, because my amp is 80 watts? What about ohms, does it matter that my floorstanders are 4-8 ohms when my amp is 6 ohms? Or is this is OK?

Also, just talking about centre speakers, I did buy one a while ago, but I'm not sure if it's no good or if it's OK, I've not used it yet.
This is the speaker: Tannoy Eclipse Centre, 45 Watts Continuous, 180 Watts Peak. Tannoy Eclipse Centre (Black)
I (sort of) know what it means by continuous and peak, it just confuses me because I can't see any other speakers rated like that. I don't really want to buy a new centre speaker, but really I shouldn't have bought it in the first place if I wasn't sure, but if I need to buy a new one then I will.

Also, just talking about wattage for a second, before I got rid of my old LG 5.1 surround sound system about 6 months ago, I usually ran it in 5.1 mode when listening to stereo, so stereo sound would be coming out of all 5 speakers. Can I still do this, even if the centre speaker and rear speakers are a lower wattage than the front speakers? Sorry for such a long post, and thanks a lot (in advance), for the help.

Forget about wattage and ohm loading with speakers. All the speakers you have mentioned can be driven by the Yamaha. No damage will be done they will work just fine. How good your front soundstage will sound may be a different matter as it's always best to have the front three being from the same model range. This helps with the timbre of the soundstage so that it doesn't sound a little off when the sound pans across the fronts.

You will still have the ability to run your stereo music in 5.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom