Not sure what to do in the apartment!

ZAZ

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I have in ceiling installed speakers at my old home but I am moving into an apartment and I honestly don't even know how to begin in setting up a home theater in the apartment. I am also going to need something that can play music from my computer. I am considering a soundbar since I cant install in ceiling system at this apartment. Not really sure what to do! Anyone have any ideas?

More information about your room is needed really, and more specific requirements about what you want the system to do. Any parameters on the looks of the system, or does it need to be discreet like your last one?

As DAVIDF said, we need more info. The dimension of the room are a good place to start.

Depending on the size of the apartment or at least the size of the room the Audio system will be in, will determine how far you want to or can take it.

While it is certainly nice to have a 5.1 Surround system, depending on budget and needs, perhaps a Stereo system would be a better choice. You get more for a fixed budget, though fewer features.

Any modern AV Receiver above a certain minimum standard is going to have Network Streaming. From that you will be able to stream music from your computer and from the Internet. There are also Stereo Amps that have Network Streaming built in.

So, in addition to the Dimensions of the room, we are going to need a working budget. If the budget is low, then I absolutely think a Stereo needs to be considered. If the budget and space are sufficient, then a Surround Sound can be considered.

Answer those questions and we will have a starting point.

Steve/bluewizard

More information about your room is needed really, and more specific requirements about what you want the system to do. Any parameters on the looks of the system, or does it need to be discreet like your last one?
I would like to make it discrete but I am not sure that I can since I can't drill into the walls much.

Room dimensions are 16.6 x 11.6.

As DAVIDF said, we need more info. The dimension of the room are a good place to start.

Depending on the size of the apartment or at least the size of the room the Audio system will be in, will determine how far you want to or can take it.

While it is certainly nice to have a 5.1 Surround system, depending on budget and needs, perhaps a Stereo system would be a better choice. You get more for a fixed budget, though fewer features.

Any modern AV Receiver above a certain minimum standard is going to have Network Streaming. From that you will be able to stream music from your computer and from the Internet. There are also Stereo Amps that have Network Streaming built in.

So, in addition to the Dimensions of the room, we are going to need a working budget. If the budget is low, then I absolutely think a Stereo needs to be considered. If the budget and space are sufficient, then a Surround Sound can be considered.

Answer those questions and we will have a starting point.

Steve/bluewizard

Apartment is like 660 SQ ft. I want to have a 5.1 system but I don't think the lines could be run cleanly. I have a Denon 1912.

Budget I am thinking no more than 1,000.

My biggest concern is the wires!

How about running a 3.1 system so you don't have to worry about cables running around the room?

How about running a 3.1 system so you don't have to worry about cables running around the room?
I would be fine with it as long as the performance is good. I like to listen to a lot of music and care most about that.

I would be fine with it as long as the performance is good. I like to listen to a lot of music and care most about that.
How good the performance needs to be, only you can judge. It's a case of setting up a demo or two and trying out a few systems to see whether they measure up to what you want from the music side of things.

I am looking for something midrange but also keeping in mind the space is small so I don't need anything too powerful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom