Not sure what i should do next:One channel pixelation

jezzerr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello:)

Ive had a HD box installed in my living room and that was october time i told the chap when i get heavy rain i loose the signal all together all channels go he hooked it up to his black box and said it was under so when its bad weather i will loose the signal,He then went outside and adjusted the skew on the lnb that seemed to do the job as we had some bad rain in october and no more loosing channels

As the signal problem had gone i decided to go multiroom.

I have now had a second box put in the bedroom by a different installer in november but since wednesday i have noticed a get very slight pixelation go across the screen at first i thought great its raining so thats why,But it happens when there is no rain but not all the time and it only happens on one channel the disney channel,As im still in the month time limit i phoned the installer he came out and checked the bedroom connection with his box and said it is under a bit because the dish is in line with a big tree,He didn't go to the dish to see if it has been moved by the wind which we have had badly,He just said its the tree thats causing it.

The thing is ive never had this problem before he fitted the multiroom box.

Ive had problems with this installer before when i had to have him out a couple of years ago i lost some channels he then told me it was the trees i wasn't having what he said so i complained to sky and another chap came out and replaced the dish and cable and would you belive it all the channels came back.

If it was the tree would it just cause pixelation on one channel when there is no wind rain etc...

Christ, how big's the tree?

Any chance of a pic of the tree vs your house (realise its dark, screenshot of google streetview will do)?

Sounds like BS IMHO but i suppose if the tree is THAT big it could be an issue

Ill see if i can find anything.

Its raining now only light and its happened again on the disney channel,The tree is massive but ive never had any problems like this and the signal shows its all good in the menu.

Right ive been checking what channels are having this split second pixelation so far ive watched BBC1/ ITV without any problems tonight but turning to Disney and Disney+1 i get the pixelation,I started to watch Disney XD and so far ive not sen the pixelation appear.

Without a doubt i can say its not the sky box in the bedroom or the one downstairs,So its got to be the Dish out of alignment or faulty lnb or the tree.

I really cant see why it would be the tree when there is no wind or rain.

So does it sound like it could be the dish just out or faulty lnb,Or if it was either of those would i get it on all or most channels.

Im going to be sending a email to the person who ive been dealing with at the Executive Support Team,But i want to get the right info first.

I dont know what anyone else thinks but i think when the installer came back who should of checked if the dish was out,Or can he tell if its out with his black box he used indoors?

How have you been getting these installers - was it through Sky, with or without the £65 fee - and what was that about "the month time limit"? :confused:

This is the thing i got the box in october for free and install free because my account was messed up,And the multiroom box i had free which was installed for free aswell,So i cant grumble to much about sky its just the one installer ive had problems with and i told my story to the EST and they said they will give me the multiroom box for free+install with all the problems ive had,Never even asked for anything.

The month time limit starts from when you have a box installed and instead of phoning sky up if you have any problems you can phone the installers number and they will come out free no need to get hold of sky.

Just weird thats ive never had any problems with the tree,But i shall have to wait then thanks.

I took a picture out of the window of the tree just below the window is the dish.

tree.jpg

tree-2.jpg

You can use a plastic school protractor with a weight on a piece of cotton to determine the angle. The angle between the top of the tree and the horizon must be less than 22 degrees, to be certain of the signal clearing it.

Looks like the bird's nest might have exacerbated the problem!

Thanks no off to raid the childs pencil case lol

So ive been looking at the signal menu and i see the trasnsport stream is showing 0803 when on disney channels,Im sure i saw a different number showing before,What does this transport number mean and do?

And when i look at the multiroom box its showing 0968 on the disney channel.

Last edited:
Use this to find out for definite whether the tree is in the right direction and is high enough: Dish Pointing.
That last comment makes it sound like bad wiring to one of the machines though.

Thanks for the link.

Well something is not right because the dish is not facing in the same point as what im seeing on the dish pointing website.

Im now sure the installer has moved the dish towards the big tree,where before the dish was pointing to the right of the tree.

I think im going to send a email and just say whats been going on since the installer fitted the multiroom box.

The installer advised me to run a cable of my neighbours lnb because his dis is on the corner of the house and misses the tree,But he said sky wont do that a local firm will have to do it and gave me a name of a company,I even said about putting it on a pole he said nothing.

Last edited:
Dishpointer lets you specify all the parameters including the height and distance of the tree, so if that is NOT an obstacle then it's something else that's causing the problem!
Do get someone back to the fix the dish, and do NOT think of connecting to anyone else's dish.

Hi

Ive just finished typing a email to the person who had arranged for me to have the multiroom box from the executive support team,Nothing to bad just saying how i was getting no problems and now i am etc..

Dont worry i will not be getting anyone out so i can have a feed of my neighbours lnb.

I will keep this thread updated,Fair enough if its the tree but im sure it wasn't pointing towards that tree before i had multiroom installed.

It's news to me that they have an executive support team but you're definitely right to get them to fix it. :thumbsup:
There's a technical and legal reason for not connecting to someone else's dish.

The installer did ask if i get on with my neighbours which i do but i wouldn't even think about asking them in the first place,Really i dont know why he said that as it wasn't a good thing to say IMO.

I sent a email to CS and i wasn't happy with what they said when i was telling them about the problem i had so then i sent the same email to jeremy.darroch and got a reply back from a lady at the bottom of the email it said:

Service Excellence Consultant
Executive Support Team

You're right, it was not a good thing to say.
Ah, the SECs aka Sexies are back - that's good news:thumbsup: - I don't remember them supporting any executives or teams:D but they were always very helpful.

I always had tree troubles particularly in the summer and when it was windy. A few years ago a local guy came and put the dish on a longer pole, which worked well until this last summer when I had to get a tree surgeon in to do some major surgery!

My money is on the tree too!

Well yes it could well be the tree as its facing that way before the installer came the dish was pointing out of the tree line my guess is he moved the dish to where he think it should of been,But i also think it could be a lnb problem.

Remember this is the same installer i had two years ago when i lost some channels and he told me then it was the tree and that was it he left,So i phoned up again and got another installer out and he found the cable had had its days he replaced it and guess what yep all the channels that went missing came back.So you can see why i dont want to take this installer words,Before he came i had perfect signal in really bad weather after he came im getting picture break up when there is no bad weather.

Bit of a wonky line i done but before he came out im soso sure the dish was facing that way
treeedit.jpg

Last edited:
the dish is not facing in the same point as what im seeing on the dish pointing website
That settles the matter, surely?
And it tells you for sure whether or not the tree can be to blame.
If the dish is not aligned on the satellite as shown by dishpointer then it needs to be fixed.
If the tree is not in the line of "sight" and is not to high then there's no point in concerning yourself about it.

It does settle it but if the same installer came out he would tell me its in the right postion,This is why i have asked in the email for the person who fitted the HD box back in october.

Well i shall just sit back and wait for a reply email and see what happens.

Thanks.

Yes, it's up to Sky to get it right and I would imagine they'd have plenty of staff so that you wouldn't get the same employee twice or three times in a row!

_Nice Little Update_

Got a email back in the morning i must say the team are very quick in replying and will sort it out as soon as they can.

First off she said in the email she will be taking £25 off my account this month for my viewing problems,Then in the reply she said she had booked a installer to come out on sunday and hopefully it wont be the same installer thats been saying its the trees,I did reply back saying i cant be here for sunday and it would be pointless if the same installer came out i asked nicely if she could get someone else to come out,I then got another reply back saying she has booked a installer to come wednesday i said that will be fine i cant sort out with work to be home,So i assume she might off found out if someone else can come out instead of the installer who keeps saying its trees.

I assume that English isn't your first language. I really sympathise because I struggle to make myself understood here in Greece. However, you could improve matters by using a full stop and a space to end each sentence.
the dish is not facing in the same point as what im seeing on the dish pointing website.
Do you mean: "not facing in exactly the same direction"? If that were true you would have no signal - not just pixelation. If the dish is more than one degree off line you'll get no signal at all. So my guess is that the tree really is the cause of your problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom