Not sure what forum to post --- question about belt drive turntable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 30, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum as I'm sure did - I have no idea where this thread belongs...

I just have a quick question regarding the following retro Crosley CR89 & CR84 Stack-O-Matic Turntables...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

Since these are more "aesthetic pieces" so to speak, I assume they lend more to style than performance... I'm just wondering if these can be wired somehow to my amps and processor to play through my in-wall speakers and sub in conjunction with my HT setup?

Otherwise, is my only listening option via the built-in cabinet stereo speakers and how do you think they'd perform?

I don't have too many vinyl records anymore... a crate full of old 60's/70's soul singles and various indie/undergound excl. EP's & 12's that aren't available in any other format but that's really the extent. Everything else has been replaced by CD. I'm just thinking whether it's stupid to purchase this belt-drive table with such a high-end audio setup I'm running just cause it'd look so damn nice in my livingroom or if I should go with proper tables... what do you guys think?

Also, which of the above 2 models do you think looks nicer?

Thanks!

2. Polydorus

Polydorus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister recently upgraded her player and gave me the old one. It's a Crosley CR-67, radio, tape player and turntable combo. It plays OK but there are NO outputs of any kind. I was wondering about opening it up a installing an jack for sound output. Better check the CR89 & CR84 out to see if they even have an earphone jack.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Marco...both of those are very nice as either talking points or as collectors pieces,but neither would provide anything like the "high-end" sound you say the rest of your system has.

Added to which,the high arm mass,and type of cartridge used by most of these types of player will put paid to most of your vinyl collection in short measure.

By all means have either or both,as fine examples of what they are,but even a £100($200) deck and cheap cartridge will outperform them.

4. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Marco,

those are stunning pieces of vintage equipment, but Alex is right, they're no competition for todays turntables. Even a Project Debut turntable (around £120 over here, I think they're distributed in the US by Sumiko) would give superior sound. If you're really looking for some vintage thrills, you may want to try a Thorens TD124 MK.1, set into it's own plinth and then equipped with a modern tonearm/cartridge, or a Garrard 301/401 rebuilt with similar surgery can both deliver stunning sound.

If I had the room, however, I'd still keep those lovely Crosley's around, they are certain to be of interest to any audio enthusiast.

Best wishes,

Dave