not sure if its a dvd recorder I want or PC....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cmap, Sep 7, 2004.

1. cmap

cmap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the panasonic e55, but my main thing is converting old tapes to dvd.

I see two options - buy a dvd recorder about 220 quid,
    or on my pc -
    buy dvd recorder 50 quid and capture card or hardware solution eg dazzle 50 quid. 100 quid so i feel i should explore it. :)
    Editing might be fun but again I could live with simple copy to copy.

i'm worried about quality issues on the pc route and also my pc is only a 1ghz with 724mb ram and 80gb hard drive and wouldn't want to upgrade too much.

Also I only have a ps2 to play the dvds created with at the moment so i'm worried they won't work, so i feel maybe the recorder is "safer" if more expensive.

cheers for any advice.
    Elaine

2. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What you possibly want is a DVD recorder for your TV and a DVD writer for you PC.

See the sticky at the top of this forum. With something like the Panasonic E55 (£220) and a LG 4120 writer for you PC you should be covered :)

Sounds like your PC would need upgrading to capture video. This way you can record VCR tapes to the DVD recorder on your TV and then move across with the DVD RAM disk to your PC edit and finally burn a DVD-r.

Anyway I am quite new to this and I am sure others here can provide further advice.

Regards

Jerry

3. Emerton

Emerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you want to edit with titling, fancy transitions, and effects you must go for PC with editing software. If you just want to get TV or tapes onto DVD get a standalone recorder, PC's are just too much hassle for staightforward copying. Good DVD recorders are available for less than £150 in some places. Your PC spec is good enough to add a DVD burner at a later date if you wish.

4. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD recorder is the way to go!

I tried DV to PC with firewire and as Emerton said it was too much of a hassle. The quality is not that good unless you have the latest top notch gear and plenty of time.

I have been using a DVD recorder for several months and life is a lot easier. I transferred dozens of old VHS tapes into DVD with good results.

But I do use a PC for DVD copying. So if you do need more copies you still need a PC.

The only reason you want to use a PC is to produce professional looking DVD video, but you do need more up-to-date hardware/software.

If you plan to trasfer DV to DVD, make sure you get one with DV input, you will have more choices if you do not need it.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    With the exception of another HDD I totally disagree that you would need to upgrade your PC to do video capture & editing. RAM is enough and most of the entry level editing packages should run fine on a 1Ghz PC.
    The quality of the PC DVD's should easily be as good, if not better than from a standalone DVD recorder, but this will depend on the software you use.
    PC burner cost from about £30 and a firewire capture card should cost around £10 as (if you have one) you can use a DV camcorder with AV-in (not many of them have this though) to capture from a VCR to camcorder via firewire to the PC, so no expensive analogue capture device required and the quality should be far better than many of the cheap analogue capture devices. Editing software will cost £30 up, or free if you have Windows XP!
    The real disadvantage of going the PC route though is the time it takes. Rendering the AVI files to DVD compatable format will probably take at least a couple of hours for a 1 hour DVD, and that is after the time it takes to capture & edit. But it will offer a lot more flexability and a far cheaper upgrade path for the future to give even more features etc.

Mark.

6. cmap

cmap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    thanks for the input. I think i'll go the dvd recorder route as i like the ease of the all in one solution with a bit of warranty rather than piecemealing a few bits and pieces together - usb or firewire card/capture card/dvd writer and hoping it works and hoping my ps2 can read it etc. cheers.
    Elaine

7. Emerton

Emerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My sons PS2 will only show finalized discs and will not recognize +RW, I don't know about minus format (or 'dash') as its supposed to be called, so check this if its important.