Not sure if I'm doing things right to gain weight

Robi123

Novice Member
Hi everybody, this is my first post..

I am 24, male, I am 183cm tall and weigh 59kg. I've started with weight training at the start of this year (February), with a goal to gain weight and build muscle. I am working out around 4 hours a week on average, in series of 3 days workout followed by a rest day, I am working out until my muscles get exhausted, yet avoiding over exercising.. I'm comitted (or addicted) like never before, but so far (after 7-8 months), I am seeing only little results from that. The results are mainly better body posture (strengthened back muscles), slightly bigger upper body, and arm muscles etc. (I am training my legs for like 2 months actively so far). I wonder if these results are enough because I am gaining no weight at all, I probably gained only a kilo or two since the begining of the year.. I wonder if this process is expected to be this slow, since I'm not using any supplements.. Maybe I'm not eating enough, but when you are not eating enough you could be able to feel it right? Like, you won't have enough enegy to exercise.. Opinions?

fruityloop

Your 6ft and you weigh 59kg? Is that right?
if so you need to eat and then eat again. That’s why your not putting on weight.
how many cals you eating a day? Based on 59kg I bet that’s below 2000 a day.

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
You need to eat surplus of calories, as said above if you're not gaining weight it is 100% diet.

From your stats you just need to eat everything in sight, including your family. Everything you see, eat.

Robi123

Novice Member
I am trying to eat as much as I can, but you simply have so many other responsibilities every day and you can't think of what to eat every 2 hours right? Maybe I should buy some supplements? What should I take? Weight gainer?Protein? Creatine? Or all three?

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
I am trying to eat as much as I can, but you simply have so many other responsibilities every day and you can't think of what to eat every 2 hours right? Maybe I should buy some supplements? What should I take? Weight gainer?Protein? Creatine? Or all three?
Wouldn't bother with a weight gainer, cheaper to make ya own in the blender, and doesn't take long.

Milk is good, have pint of milk with every meal.

Snack on nuts

fruityloop

You can easily make yourself a 1000 calorie shake.
oats, evoo, 2 scoops protein, full fat milk, peanut butter. Plenty of fruit. Mix in a blender, yummy too.

Robi123

Novice Member
I am already making shakes with milk, banana, peanut butter, almonds, and sometimes a raw egg.. But I guess I should do it more often.. but I wonder if I'm working out enough because the 3 days I exercise, I exercise a different group of muscles every day, so together with the rest day, one muscle group is getting exercised every 4 days... is that enough?

fruityloop

It’s not the exercise it’s your calorie input.
Why not track your calories using MyFitnessPal and start eating at least 3000 cals a day.
you need to eat, it’s your diet and nothing else which is why your not putting on weight.

Robi123

Novice Member
Okay, I guess I'll have to eat that much only until I build some muscle mass? Then I return back to normal?

fruityloop

Okay, I guess I'll have to eat that much only until I build some muscle mass? Then I return back to normal?
You keep eating that much till your weigh stalls then you up your cals again by another 200/300.
Lets get you eating first and keep doing what your doing in the gym.
Theres no easy fix in gaining muscle, it takes a long time.
Most of all enjoy what your doing.

roymunsen

If you want to put on quality weight, don't go overboard on increasing calories.

Spend a couple of weeks tracking your calories, be honest. Include all calorific drinks too. When you've got an idea of the amount of calories you're taking in on average, try to consistently raise it by 2-300 per day. Be consistent, hit those calorie goals daily, keep lifting heavy weights.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom