Not sure if I should stop cutting weight and now bulk?

Am now 153lbs, and not interested in losing any more, though if I got to 150lbs I recon the mythical 'six pack' might start to make an appearance! My resting HR is now just over 40, so at 40, I recon am physically fitter and leaner than I was 20 :).
Please tell me you’re aware of this being a wee bit abnormal and that you’ve spoken to a doc about it at some point?

Please tell me you’re aware of this being a wee bit abnormal and that you’ve spoken to a doc about it at some point?

Don't worry my wife is a clinical cardiologist with a nearly a chair at the local Uni, and I've done my fair share of been hands on at 999/cardiac arrest calls in ED :).

Amazingly my watch can give a half decent ECG these days, nothing I can see to be worried about.

52203533985_91d21654bf_c_d.jpg

Don't worry my wife is a clinical cardiologist with a nearly a chair at the local Uni, and I've done my fair share of been hands on at 999/cardiac arrest calls in ED :).

Amazingly my watch can give a half decent ECG these days, nothing I can see to be worried about.
Ah, that’s handy :)

There’s just a lot of gym bros who are proud to be bradycardic, as if it’s a badge of honour - especially Peloton/CrossFit types. Generally you have to be incredibly fit to be near 40BPM.

I am far from a gym bro, but I had an issue with it when I was younger and I didn’t realise I wasn’t quite Miguel Indurain.

I also think you might be slightly over training. Recovery and rest is as important as diet and the workout. Weights from home is OK but most will quickly outgrow what you have and will need more weight and variety which some machines can give you. Is there a gym you can join?

If you're not already I would also start tracking your workouts, either on an app or old school pen and paper. Every time try and add a rep or weight. When you can hit say ten bench at 50kg add 5 kg until again you can hit ten. Each session try and get one more rep.

I would suggest each body part only gets trained at most twice a week with two or three days rest in between. Push pull legs works really well for this.

Don't give up though.

☹️☹️☹️

I have broken my elbow this weekend and I'm beyond gutted. Worked so hard since March to get my weight down and tone up. Spent the last 3/4 weeks eating in a calorie surplus to bulk up for muscle growth and finally started to see some good gains.

Yet been told to spend 6 weeks off work (my work is manual using my hands) and the doctor said it could be up to 6 months before I can lift heavy weights again.

No idea what to do now. Feel like all my progress was for nothing

☹️☹️☹️

I have broken my elbow this weekend and I'm beyond gutted. Worked so hard since March to get my weight down and tone up. Spent the last 3/4 weeks eating in a calorie surplus to bulk up for muscle growth and finally started to see some good gains.

Yet been told to spend 6 weeks off work (my work is manual using my hands) and the doctor said it could be up to 6 months before I can lift heavy weights again.

No idea what to do now. Feel like all my progress was for nothing
Gutted for you. This is always a fear of mine, getting injured.

My only advice is to keep your chin up, don't let yourself get into bad habits. Maintain the diet and eating well and as soon as you can get back into the habit of doing some exercise. Even if that's just a daily walk, and once you can do something in the gym without too much arm movement such as sitting on a bike or using the stair machine.

I'm no doctor but I would think you could get back to lifting some weights before 6 months.

Gutted for you. This is always a fear of mine, getting injured.

My only advice is to keep your chin up, don't let yourself get into bad habits. Maintain the diet and eating well and as soon as you can get back into the habit of doing some exercise. Even if that's just a daily walk, and once you can do something in the gym without too much arm movement such as sitting on a bike or using the stair machine.

I'm no doctor but I would think you could get back to lifting some weights before 6 months.

Mate I'm so so gutted. Yeah I don't have big muscles compared to some but I was finally getting happy seeing some progress and that took literally months and months off work.

Now just so worried even if it is say 3/4 months, that still means months of work to get where I am right now.

Not only that, only recently started work at a new company so don't get work sick pay for 6 months. Which means I'll get just SSP pay which is only £99 a week. Will lose around £1200 wages while off. To say I'm stressed is a understatement ha

Is there nothing else you can do at work at some point under a work adjustment plan?

I've read before that if you have built muscle before, building it a second time is quicker, and muscle responds well having been under stress before and grown. Can be reffered to muscle memory. Might be a load of rubbish but you never know.

Have asked my manager about getting me to do anything that doesn't currently involve driving or lifting. I see what happens, he just seemed really moody at me though, so God knows mate.

Yeah hopefully I'll be back into quickly when I can. I know there are more important things going on in the world but arrghhhh haha. So annoying

Yeah will get something started again in a week or so. Did a 3 mile walk today as I usually do around 5 a day when at work.

Just need to get my head sorted, been feeling sorry for myself the last few days, not just as I feel all the hard work I've done was for nothing but always working out how to survive on £99 a week for 6 weeks.

@stu646 Hope things work out overall! Life is S*** often, but you do know what works for your body now. Progress is progress and hard work will always pay off in the end.

Well been 3 weeks and tonight I started to slowly lift weights again. Only 10kg but want to take it slowly and hope I don't injury myself.

Stumbled across your thread looking for similar advice myself, got to say, you've done a great job sticking to it and seeing results, really inspiring. Hope you've been doing ok after breaking your elbow.

2 months ago I started going to the gym for the first time. Now i'm starting to take it a little more seriously and bulk up a bit. I was recommended this smart protein by PhD - i found it hard to gorge myself on foods to 'bulk up' but this feels different, and it's the only one i've found without an aftertaste.

Stumbled across your thread looking for similar advice myself, got to say, you've done a great job sticking to it and seeing results, really inspiring. Hope you've been doing ok after breaking your elbow.

2 months ago I started going to the gym for the first time. Now i'm starting to take it a little more seriously and bulk up a bit. I was recommended this smart protein by PhD - i found it hard to gorge myself on foods to 'bulk up' but this feels different, and it's the only one i've found without an aftertaste.
Who actually recommended it to you?
Its £11 per half kilo!!

Think I’ll stick with what I’m already on thanks.

Right, have attached a photo. One from when I started working out in March this year and a photo from last week.

I broke my elbow in August which meant I lost 8 weeks of training but do you think I've made much progress in terms of looking a little more defined?

Have started eating more this month as I just haven't been eaten no where near enough and I know that won't help me gain muscle.

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_181426.jpg
    IMG_20221031_181426.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 26

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom