Not sure how to title this one, so please read on...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nealgs, Feb 5, 2005.

1. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Couldn't think of suitable words for the title, but basically :-

We bought our current dvd player (Pioneer 525) about 5/6yrs ago at a cost of £200-£300 or so(IIRC) from techtronics, fitted with MR mod etc, now, jumping ahead to the present day, what would be the equivalent player.

Can't explain properly, but like PC's then tend to reach a certain price/point wereby it's the performance etc that changes but price is pretty consistant.

IIRC you couldn't get a DVD player for £30 5/6yrs ago (yep, i mean thirty pounds) wereas you can know, with specs exceeding that of the 525, but at the time the 525 was supposedly a top notch player (correct me if i'm wrong)

So, what would be an equivalent level machine now, if you know what I mean (hopefully)

can't explain this one - DOH! :(

cheers
    Gary

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I have the Techtronics 525 too, very pleased with it. I purchased the 575 recently because it has progressive scan / component out. It *is* an improvement vs the 525 (which I feed into my PJ via s-video) but not a massive leap. Pics are more detailed and smoother. And the 575 can play SACD/DVD-A. For 100 quid it's a bargain. I use them both! The 525 especially is perhaps more forgiving of old material, where you don't want to reveal every ounce of detail...PJ

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You could try a Denon 1910 or 2910, (i have the 3910). These players use HDMI and DVI-D (HDCP) to deliver an upscaled 720p or 1080i picture. I was blown away by the new picture which is close to hi def in some movies. (Shrek 2, spider man 2 and other digital effects movies)

Its the biggest change in player quality ive seen so far. Next step up from this I would say is HD-DVD and Blu Ray.