Not sure how to integrate a centre speaker into my setup.

Paul87

Standard Member
I currently have a 2.1 setup consisting of a set of AVI ADM9Ts w/ sub. I don't have the space for a 5.1 setup but am considering adding a centre speaker.

The issue I have though is I'm not sure how I would integrate it given I don't have an amp. The ADMs have two digital inputs and I currently run my Sky HD box directly into the first and both my PS3 and Blu Ray player into the second via an Octavia switch.

I've no idea how I would go about sending audio from one source to two different destinations i.e. the ADMs and the centre without an amp. I confess to not knowing much about this type of thing so maybe there's an obvious solution that I'm missing.

Any input much appreciated.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If your BluRay has Analog Audio outs for all 5 or 7 channels, then you might have a source of Center Channel information, but short of that, there is no way to add a Center Channel to what you have.

You might add an additional AV Pre-Amp/Processor, but these are not cheap. Still your speakers aren't cheap either, so it might have the budget for that. An AV Pre-Amp/Processor is very much like a common Surround Sound Receiver. It has all the Digital Inputs, and all the audio/video decoding, but it simply doesn't have power amps.

But, with what you have, I don't see how to add a center channel beyond the one method I mentioned.

Steve/bluewizard

Paul87

Standard Member
If your BluRay has Analog Audio outs for all 5 or 7 channels, then you might have a source of Center Channel information, but short of that, there is no way to add a Center Channel to what you have.

You might add an additional AV Pre-Amp/Processor, but these are not cheap. Still your speakers aren't cheap either, so it might have the budget for that. An AV Pre-Amp/Processor is very much like a common Surround Sound Receiver. It has all the Digital Inputs, and all the audio/video decoding, but it simply doesn't have power amps.

But, with what you have, I don't see how to add a center channel beyond the one method I mentioned.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the info. I'm happy enough with my setup as it is not to bother buying a pre-amp so I don't think I'll bother. Ah well!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom