1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure how to connect DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mojobullfrog, Feb 24, 2005.

1. mojobullfrog

mojobullfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping someone could straighten out something that is probably very straight forward, but has become a bit of a bugbear with me.

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver, together with an
    Hitachi plasma, a Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder (DMR-E75V), and a digital set
    top box (Hotchip ODT-4000 HD.) My aim is to set up the system so the receiver acts as the control centre. The receiver comes with plenty of component and composite inputs.. as well as optical and coaxial inputs... so this part of the stup isn't a problem. The problem is this:

How do I best connect the set top box and dvd/vcr recorder so that I can both record and view the BEST possible signal? (To assist your feedback, I have attached diagrams of the back panel of the set top box and the front and back panels for the dvd/vcr recorder at another page on this site: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191541)

Cheers,

Peter Cassidy, Melbourne, Australia

2. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What are you watching the output on... projector/plasma/TV?? and how many inputs does this have?

The Audio is straightforward... the panasonic DVD only has optical out, so this goes straight to the Onkyo.
    For picture, best signal from the Panasonic will be the "Component" out sockets direct to the Plasma/Projector. The Onkyo supports component switching, so alternatively, Panasonic Component > Onkyo Component In, then take the Component Monitor Out to your display device.
    The Hotchip thing... never heard of that! If its a HD STB, then it should have couple of outputs.., maybe a DVI socket? This will give best picture out to your display.

Cant say much more without knowing what outputs the Hotchip has and what display device you are using.

3. mojobullfrog

mojobullfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guido..

Watching the output on a plasma, which is connected via the component out of the receiver. This isn't a problem.

You can check out 2 digrams of the inputs/outputs for the set top box and dvd at the bottom of the following forum -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191541

This should help! It has a DVI socket... so is this the best thing to use to connect with the DVD? And can you buy a DVI socket that has s-video/audio at the other end? This is the biggest problem: not knowing the best way to connect the STB to the DVD.

Hope this helps.

Peter :)

4. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd steer clear of any s-Video/audio conversion as you have component sockets on the DVD Player. Component signals are better than S-Video.

If you want to use the Onkyo as main switcher, then I would run the following:
    Panasonic DVD/VCR - Video - Component > Onkyo
    Panasonic DVD/VCR - Audio - Optical Digital > Onkyo
    Hotfix STB - Video - Component > Onkyo
    Hotfix STB - Audio - Coaxial Digital (or Optical if you prefer) > Onkyo

Then take Component Monitor out from the Onkyo to plasma. Only Video is going to Plasma and all sound will be handled via Onkyo.

If your plasma has DVI in (not sure about this as we have Hitachi plasma at work that does not) then can also run DVI direct from STB > Plasma. This should give the best picture from the STB to the plasma as digital all the way.

As to recording from the STB on the VCR, as the resolution of VCR is low, composite will be fine for this.. I would run a composite lead (video + Audio L&R) out from the STB to the composite in on the front panel of DVD/VCR.

Hopefully that should do it. There are far more knowledgeable people on here than me! so sure someone else will be along soon :)

5. mojobullfrog

mojobullfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is pretty much the way I've got it setup at the moment (save for the DVI input in the plasma!) So this gives me some confidence that it's setup the right way. Thanks Guido... many thanks for taking the time to let me know your take on things.

:thumbsup: