1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not such a great picture on my Tosh with cable

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr Crow, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Mr Crow

Mr Crow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all. A little while back I was asking advice on 36" TV's and after reading the stuff here, I got a Tosh 36ZP38 TV and coupled this with the Philips LX9000R system.

Thing is, DVD playback is awesome and I'm in love with the kit I've got. But here's the rub. When viewing cable TV, there are slight verticle lines down the TV - the smaller the viewing size like 4:3, 14:9 - the closer together they are. Also, the image can distort slightly, mostly noticeable on faces. Some cable channels seem better than others and all at different times (could this be a line contention thing???).

The way the kit is connected is scart from cable box to DVD-R, scart from DVD-R to TV. Not RGB, just bog standard scart.

My thinking is this; if the DVD is doing great things, then it must be either a) the cable box is giving duff output and needs an engineer or b) I need better scart cabling.

What do you think?

(Hope this is the right forum for these questions!)

2. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending upon what else you've got connected I would always advise connecting directly to the TV scart rather than using pass through if there are enough scart sockets.

The Tosh has 3 scarts, two of which are RGB, so I would suggest first connecting the Cable box directly to one of the RGB scarts on the TV, bypassing the DVD player. If you get the same problem try a different scart cable and after that try the second RGB scart on the TV just in case the problem lies with the scart socket.

Make sure you're using a good quality scart cable. If you need one, Maplin Electronics have a Thor scart reduced to £19.99 at the moment. Excellent quality cable.

3. Mr Crow

Mr Crow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply - I'll try and juggle the cables. Thing is, the LX9000R is a DVD recorder and therefore I need to connect this to the cable box in order to record from that source don't I?

Taking the tip on the Thor cables though - the one's I've got are the bog-standard one's that came with the kit.

4. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - didn't put 2 & 2 together on the Philips. Has your Cable box got 2 scarts? - in which case one goes to the TV and another to the DVD Recorder? If not then I suppose you'll be stuck with your current setup but a better scart cable may help.

Good luck.

5. Mr Crow

Mr Crow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it just goes to show what a difference decent cabling makes. I invested in a couple of those Thor scarts and all I can say is... wow. Happy camper! Thanks for the tip! :smashin: