1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not so silky smooth video....what should I do?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by HiZ, Oct 28, 2005.

1. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Im having a slight problem with my graphics on XPMCE2005 and LCD tv.

I can't get the scrolling strap on ITV News/Sky etc to look sexy and smooth like a set top box. I have 2 x BlackGold freeview cards, LCD TV via SVGA and use the on-board Intel 915GM graphics.

I have the option to connect via Component (YUV), DVI-D or SVGA @ 60Hz only. SVGA is the best for PC usage as I get 1:1 1360x768. I've tried DVI and componet at 720@50Hz. None have impressed me too much. Im using Intervideo codecs.

It seems like im running at 30Hz refresh or something...kind of jerky. I understand 60Hz refresh and 50Hz PAL causees issues with long camera pans but thats not what im seeing. Tried the reg. hack to to force video refresh in MCE but did nothing either.

I want to try a new video card just to see but Im short on slots...... Maybe I remove one freeview card just for a test.

My case has 3 slots but my motherboard's first PCI slot is a Express x 1 so I can't use a normal riser and waste the bottom slot with flexi risers. :(

HELP! :lease:

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Which DVD/MPEG2 decoder software are you using?

3. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Intervideo WinDVD

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
  5. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    does this work best with a nvidia graphics card ?

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised you find analogue VGA superior to DVI-D!

It may be worth you trying DVI again with the nVidia codec. Make sure you use the same 1:1 mapping of 1360x768

Dave

7. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I am afraid you will not see smooth motion with PAL video when running at 60Hz.

The frame rate conversion from 25 frames to 60 will always produce unevenly repeated frames which will be visible as motion judder especially on scrolling news tickers.

8. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Better quality doen't always mean 'noise or error free'! DVI, VGA and DVI still produce jerky video....yes there may be less noise on DVI but I have good quality short VGA cable and happy with that. Its not un-watchable...its just not as good a £30 set top box! Additionally DVI/component want to run at 720 so i need to stretch it using the Intel driver.

DVI is a pain in the @ss because when I switch off my TV the video card thinks its no-longer connected. When i switch the tv back on i get nothing. I have to use keyboard shortcut to re-enable DVI output. Contacted Intel to see if I can force DVI output on all the time but no luck. I need a DVI keepalive box. In the old days I'd call it a 75Ohm resistor!

9. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what is the best way to connect your HTPC to your LCD TV? I'm waiting on delivery of a Toshiba 32WLT58 and keep seeing conflicting views of the best way to connect them :lease:

10. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    DVI-D is technically the best as it is digital from your graphics card to the display. No D/A and A/D conversions so less errors and less noise.

As you can read from my experience.....it may not be the best for you. You'll soon find out!

11. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HiZ - although apparently you can't get 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI-HDMI with the Toshiba, which is why people have been saying to me to go the VGA route.

12. andrewpmoore

andrewpmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just got a 20x4 LCD Character Display (blue with white writing) for my HCPC from http://www.watercoolingshop.com for £18 (from the clearance section) comes with parallel cable and molex. Came today after ordering it yesterday.

Came to £18.44, don't know what it's like yet, but hopefully it's ok and at least it was cheap and didn't involve me having to solder (I gave up with my VGA->Scart cable after making a mess)

13. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    How does this help me.......?

Sounds like an advert to me.

14. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Same ere.... good for telly but not so for checking email and the like as you have to stretch 720 or shrink 1080. I have used a DVI HDMI cable succesfuly BTW. Bit annoyed my LCD dont support 50, 75 or 100Hz via SVGA.... That'll learn me for not checking first!

15. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean I'm wasting my time trying to output my HTPC to a LCD that will only accept up to 1024 x 768 at 60HZ? Or am I okay as long as the HTPC is fixed output at 60HZ? Or will the picture vai my HTPC never be all that great?

16. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The issue I mentioned only effects motion, it has no bearing on static image quality.
    It is also only a problem when the frame rate of your material is not equal to or an integer multiple of your screen refresh rate.
    That is displaying NTSC on a 60Hz display is not a problem but displaying PAL or Film will be.
    Some people are more sensitive to this than others.
    It is the same effect as you see watching a film (24fps) from a R1 NTSC(30fps) DVD so all Americans appear to put up with this.
    I don't mean to suggest this will be unwatchable I was just explaining why the news ticker wasn't "sexy and smooth"
    Therefore I would say it is not a "waste of your time" but it is not going to be absolutely perfect.

17. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Additionally I wouldn't feel hard done by it is the norm for LCDs and Plasmas to only accept 60Hz via VGA and DVI, there are only a few exceptions.

18. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just out of interest, my Panny plasma has a 75Hz option but not 50Hz option. In theory should I get a better picture setting the screen refresh to 75Hz instead of the default 60Hz?

19. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification The Crow. Would I be better connecting via DVI-HDMI then and leave the VGA connection for when I want to use the "computer" side of the HTPC?

20. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yes if your playing PAL material .

21. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry I am only familiar with the Pioneer MXE1 so couldn't really say what would be best.
    As I understand it you have a choice of avoiding your panels internal scaling by connecting at native res' but then requiring a frame rate convertion. Or visa versa avoiding a frame rate convert but having to allow a second scaling by the panel.
    As with everything in life, try it and see what you feel suits you.

22. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When I get back to the land of my house i'm going to try hooking up the YUV @ 720/1080 50Hz and tinker with interlaced and progressive settings. May also try the NVidia decoder and see if it helps. Still annoyed its worse than a £30 box from Argos and doesn't support MHEG and CA etc.

23. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What video card are you using as I'm having the same issue? It is a real PITA. I've been reaching behind the set to unplug/replug the hdmi cable in so the lcd panel/video card decides to receive/produce a signal.

24. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - I've tried the VGA and as people have already said the PQ is damn good :) but as The Crow pointed out there are issues with the 50Hz to 60Hz pc input, although playing DVDs through the MCE doesn't seem to have the same problem - great quality.

Tried DVI-HDMI today to see what it was like but for some reason it doesn't fill the screen, but plays in a window surrounded by black. If I change to 1080x720 by forcing 50Hz it overscans so the desktop edges are outside the tv screen. Quality of windows desktop is poor as HiZ had already found out.

This is using ATi and Catalyst.

25. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    On-board Intel 915G. I can use Ctr+Alt+F2 to re-enable it.

26. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Most 32" LCD Tv's are 1366x768 so using 720 will indeed be smaller than the screen. I can use the graphics driver to stretch to fit.

27. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    You should really be using 1280x720 @ 50Hz to use the 720p input setting. You will still have overscan enough to be annoying to operate the windows desktop. But nothing noticeable when you use MCE...The quality of MCE should be really good! You could zoom the overscan out using video card drivers or tinkering with powerstrip if it really bothers you...But my recommendation would be to use the 10ft interface as intended so you have no need for the Windows desktop....