Not-so-good Vibrations...!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jimbobgod, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently bought an XLS200, I'm now enjoying the benefits of proper LFE output from my audio system :smashin: The only problem I've found is that with certain soundtracks - 'The Grudge' being a good example - I'm finding that the low frequency vibrations are causing various items of furniture in my living room to rattle! The worst offenders seem to be my coffee table and hifi stand, both of which half glass shelves. I've tried moving the sub, but the room is small-ish and it seems to occur wherever it is placed. Is it just a case of going around sticking bluetak everywhere to counteract this? The last thing I want to go turn my sub down :(

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with mine! Not surprising in my case though, cos it's right next to my glass shelved TV/AV stand. I have to move mine to the other end of the room anyway to stop the interference with my TV (If only these were magnetically shielded :( ). I have the same problem as you though - my bedroom is only about 4m square so even when I put my sub elsewhere, I reckon i'll probably still get vibration problems. It's not too bad though, it only happens when I listen at serious volumes. :D

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Do you know how the vibrations are being transmitted? If it's through the floor rather than the air then some proper isolation might help, something like the Auralex Gramma platform (or more likely, the Auralex Mopads for an XLS200).

Gary Lightfoot did a DIY build on something like this so you could try searching for it.

If the vibrations are being transmitted through the air (seems unlikely unless you listen really loud) then there's not much that can be done I'm afraid. You could see if there are any monstrous room modes that are boosting your output considerably, in that case, moving the sub or perhaps performing some EQ on it with a BFD or similar would help. :)

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plates etc. rattle in the shelf when I crank it up, but that's just demo levels, pretty loud.. Some rubbermat under the sub would be worth trying. I've have mine next to my TV, about 10" away from it. No shielding or interference either.. :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If it rattles in my room, it rolls... out the door.
    :) ...PJ

6. maddog 2

maddog 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's ground-based vibrations as eviljohn says then you could try a plinth underneath the sub with three Michell tenderfeet cones between the floor and the plinth.

Fired Earth do fairly thick limestone tiles which can be used as plinths, either singularly or two bonded together (as I have under my REL sub) for about £15 each.