Not quite a RTP-12, nor a REL either

IronGiant

Reaction score
I followed Retros thread with great interest and ordered the bits from BK, thanks guys, they arrived today, + useful advice.

This one will be modelled on what I've picked up here, the dimensions of the original REL, blind faith and inspiration.

Oh and lots of begging for advice if it all goes wrong:D

Dave

I posted a page of details, attached too big a jpg of the cutting list and lost the lot.

To cut a long story short, I've communicated with various people and I appear to be building better than a REL Q100e

Thanks Tom, Jackie for checking my cutting list and RichardH for starting me off.

This design is in 22mm MDF, based on retro's posted box drawings, but my dimensions.

Edit: Wow that was terrible, I'll try to get something people can read, or I might have to put it on a website elsewhere

OK, with a little help (Jackie put this together in 20 minutes)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jackie.marchington/subwoofer.htm

22 mm MDF now in house. I got the timber merchant to do the 2 long cuts - it's within 1 mm of spec (shoddy or what :))

Dave

No progress yet, I ordered a cutting jig to help me get the square cuts right, and it's on 45 day back order, so I have to decide whether to wait (unlikely) or trust my set square, eye and tape.

:(

Dave

In the mean time.

If you have a decent heavy door to the room you could cut a hole for the driver in it and have yourself an infinte baffle subwoofer.

Ta dah!:D :clap:

It is something I have thought about, and has been done before.

:D
Nice idea, but our doors here are a fairly nice heavyweight (3-4mm) veneer over not much at all. Typical 70's lightweight veneered doors.

Bonus, it's a detached bungalow, with a nearly 30ft by 19ft living/dining room with the sweet spot sofa 2/3rds of the way down the long axis of the room opposite the projector screen.

Downside: we have to live in it so none of the speakers are in the right place, and the whole lot backs onto our 8 year old son's bedroom.

When I start building, hopefully this weekend, I'll relaunch a new thread.

RTP-12 + RELQ100E > what?

My son is nuts about YU-GI-OH, the card game and cartoon, in this there is a monster that can take on the characteristics of anything it absorbs, its name is :

RELINQUISHED

Seems frighteningly appropriate :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom