Not permitted dish on house. Other options?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gazgits, Jan 11, 2005.

1. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To cut a long story short. I'm not allowed a dish on my house(rented accomadation). Ihave spoken to my next door neighbour who already has a dish fitted and he has said that he wouldn't mind me taking a seperate feed of his dish. I rang SKY and explained that I would like to do this when signing up to a new contract. They insisted that this is not possible. I explained to them that all they would have to do is fit SKY as normal but instead of fitting a dish they would just have to run the cable a little further to my nieghbours dish. Surely this would be simpler than fitting a new dish. They insisted however that this was not permitted. Why is this so.
    The only other option i have is to errect apole in my back garden and run cable down the garden. Could anyone else come up with some other options.

Thank you

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Electrically, it's not a good idea to link two properties by wire, because houses are often fed with different "phases" of the supply, and if a fault condition were to develop, you have the potential (excuse the pun !) of getting a 500V shock !

There are other options. If you have a south-facing window or skylight, you can replace the glass with plastic, and mount a dish behind it. A dish in the garden can be disguised by placing a plastic cloche over it. Of course, you would probably have to install something like this yourself, or find a sympathetic aerial installer.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Can you not have a dish at ground level on a tripod rather than fixed to a wall ?

Also, re Nick's answer I think using a Quad LNB on one dish the two systems would be isolated but there's no way Sky would do this fo you though a local installer might be per$uaded :)

Mike.

4. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thx for your quick reply. Whilst i understand what you said about the phases, surely as it is a semi-detached house we will be taking our supply form the same source and hence the same phase.

5. breng

breng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow, I never knew sucha thing existed, bit pricey though.
    Thanks very much

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe, maybe not. Since most aerial contractors are self-employed, they will be worried about any potential claim for damages caused by something like that. Sky boxes are not earthed, so any leakeage problems in the power supply can cause the braiding of the co-ax to go many volts above earth. Maybe if there's a sat or aerial installer reading this, he might like to comment.

The tripod idea is a good one. Since it is not a "permanent fixture", your landlord can't really object, and planning restrictions do not apply. I have a 1 metre dish in my garden bolted on to a stand fixed to a 18" square paving slab. That's in addition to my Sky dish.