Not One Wasted Second; The Pursuit of the Perfect Album - article discussion

Not sure if this has been mentioned:

R-12556105-1537612662-9707.jpeg.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned:

View attachment 1440396
Had the Honour to take a monitor rig into a Rehearsal Room for the rehearsals for one of Mike Oldfield's live outings. Outstanding Musician & a perfect Gentleman.
To put icing on the cake, the Room was in the Studio Complex where Stingray, Thunderbirds etc. were made, so got to see the room where the surface water shots were filmed, with the big curved "sky" backdrop behind. Framed photos of all the main puppets on the wall of the corridor. I was duly in heaven!

You know, the first time I heard that I was disappointed. Listened to it once all the way through then didn't bother listening again for a good few months.
Then when I listened for the second time - wow, I was so blown away. It's still one of my favourite albums (and I still feel stupid about not liking it first time, even after all these years lol)
Just couldn't agree more.
Funny isn't how some music is. Have had the privilege of seeing him twice in concert in the late eighties, around the time of Rain Dogs, but its those Asylum years that do it for me.

His best songs are a music story.
A New Coat of Paint, The Piano Has Been Drinking (not me), Ice Cream Man,
Blue Valentines ( All the way from Philadelphia, To mark the anniversary, Of someone that I used to be )
to name but a few.

Never understood why Tom Waits wasn't more famous, along with Nile Rodgers, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, JJ Cale, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp I feel like I've been listening to him forever.

Blue Valentines...
...To mark the anniversary, Of someone that I used to be )

It doesn't matter how many times I hear that, Audiolab007, it still hits me as one of the greatest and most potent lines ever. So much emotion and backstory, so much personal history, rolled up into just eleven words. Amazing.
I love the Asylum years the best, but I enjoy everything he does - and no, I can't understand why he isn't a household name either. Possibly because he can't be categorised? But then that applies to people like Bowie, Fripp etc as well. Oh well, too much thinking is hurting my brain :)
Less thinking! More listening!

I know they’re already mentioned.
A9219641-B7BC-4C9B-9619-99A74058A121.jpeg
6628CA62-B4F9-4676-B791-CCB7CDE42A0E.jpeg
The Blue Nile, A walk across the rooftops is just fantastic, right from the very first sound you know it’s just different, recorded on Linn hifi records you know it’s going to be a quality recording..... then as typical with them...... 5 years for the next album, HATS, perfection all the way through, the sound quality could not be better, if only they were still going but they were always reclusive so i don’t think they enjoyed the typical music business

David Poe, the Late Album.
Maybe I am biased as I worked with David on several tours, but this Album doesn't put a step wrong for me.

1610960526116.png

A Date With Elvis
The Cramps

1613908835564.png

The songs are short and just keep coming, fusing Rockabilly and Punk in a fashion never equaled. It almost plays the set-list of the coolest disco, changing the songs at just the right moment to reenergise the listener and keep them on their toes. To cap 43 minutes of rock n' roll mania with a cover of the maudlin Charlie Feathers standard "It's Just That Song" is certainly some form of genius.

Lightning in a bottle, and absolutely nothing to skip past. It even beats out Song The Lord Taught Us and Stay Sick for pure consistency.

I’d be very tempted to put “Born to Run” in there. There’s not a duff track on there, and fills me with energy every time I spin it.

Glad to see this thread is still active.

For me, the best live "album" is Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon, London '75. I own the 4LP set and although the package is terrible, it's a truly transformative listening experience. From the up-tempo Born to Run to amazing version of Lost in the Flood.

It's remarkable Springsteen was disappointed with their performance.

Here's a taste:

Thanks for that Cupp, that must have been awesome live. My favourite live album is Deep Purple's Live in Japan, but for me, this is a close second :)

Still play this a lot. Brings back memories of Roundhay Park in the mid 80s

Attachments

• 41kmdEsngDL._AC_.jpg
    41kmdEsngDL._AC_.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 55
Still play this a lot. Brings back memories of Roundhay Park in the mid 80s
Yep, I can happily listen to all 3 from start to end

Glad to see this thread is still active.

For me, the best live "album" is Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon, London '75. I own the 4LP set and although the package is terrible, it's a truly transformative listening experience. From the up-tempo Born to Run to amazing version of Lost in the Flood.

It's remarkable Springsteen was disappointed with their performance.

Here's a taste:

As I was there I have to agree however I was of a tender age that would not be allowed into such things in this day and age.

probably why I have been a life long fan

I bought that Springsteen album based on this thread. It is good and certainly can be listened to without skipping. It shows how much great material he had even at such a relatively early part of his career.

A few personal favourites of mine which I don't skip a track on

Prince - Parade
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
Counting Crows - August & Everything After
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

There are others but reading through the thread they have all been mentioned.

Some ramblings from me...

Shania Twain - Come On Over

It's such a strong album it can hold songs like "That don't impress me much" and "Man, I feel like a woman" back until you get to Side 2, but then of course side 1 opens with "You're still the one".

Belinda Carlisle's Runaway Horses has absolutely no filler on it either.

Annie Lennox - Diva

What would she be able to do outside of Eurythmics, writing songs on her own - launch a solid gold debut album Diva, absolute class form start to end, that's what. Walking on broken glass, Little Bird, Why, the songs, the voice, an absolute joy to listen to.

Agree with the comments on Bowie, it's possible to nominate any or all of his work into this thread.

It took a while for someone to mention the perfect album, but someone finally did on page 10. Its a live album so technically a greatest hits. IMHO the greatest live album ever

UFO: Strangers in the Night

Absolutely no filler at all, a double live album of amazing quality.

Studio album

Argus; Wishbone Ash
Rainbow: Rainbow Rising

I didn’t think I’d have much to contribute to this topic but here we go:

Jean-Michel Jarre‘s Oxygene.

I can only imagine what it must have sounded like in 1976.

Sadly I remember what it sounded like in 1978 🙁
Groundbreaking and fantastic

if it has to be one, then KLF- The White Room.

This recently turned up in my vinyl collection - how that happened I have no idea. Probably got it from a charity shop at some point and never played it. As it goes for up to £90 on eBay I probably won't in case I wreck it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom