Not much hair left, it’s all been pulled out - Firestick 4K vs Onkyo NR646

DUBious67

Novice Member
Hi all, really hoping someone can help me here, newbie and by no means an AV expert, but a budding student. So I’ve recently built a man cave and wanted plenty of wire free tech in there. Rather than buy a cheap Chinese av receiver, I went for an onkyo nr646 (second hand but pretty much unused) - it works fine with sky q etc
I’ve just brought a 4k fire stick, and initially it worked, but now, I’m getting no signal and occasionally some message on screen about some hdmi 2.2 crap.
the set up is pretty complicated,
inputs - sky q / gaming pc / firestick 4k / google chrome cast / 6 mini consoles (via a hdmi splitter) (snes, nes, mega drive, Atari, neo geo, ps1) Jukebox (touchscreen pc)
output - the main firstly goes to the hdmi matrix which in turn has 2 outputs (projector and 2nd splitter) the secondary splitter then sends to main tv and 4 additional screens

sky q works fine and everything (sound and vision) goes where I want it, but the firestick gives nothing.
I have connected the firestick directly to the tv and it works fine, I’ve tried changing settings on the firestick to reduce the hdmi thingy (i think I turned hdr off)
but I’m really scratching my head and just can’t get it to work.

at one point, 2 days ago, I did have it working, and as far as I can remember, I changed nothing other than adding additional devices, but I’ve tried removing everything and only having the firestick connected And now it still won’t work….. grrrrr any help much appreciated and if you happen to be local, I have a fully stocked bar with free beer to a knowledgable individual and their partner if so desired.
cheers from Dudley U.K……

Barney Gumble

Hi all, really hoping someone can help me here, newbie and by no means an AV expert, but a budding student. So I’ve recently built a man cave and wanted plenty of wire free tech in there. Rather than buy a cheap Chinese av receiver, I went for an onkyo nr646 (second hand but pretty much unused) - it works fine with sky q etc
I’ve just brought a 4k fire stick, and initially it worked, but now, I’m getting no signal and occasionally some message on screen about some hdmi 2.2 crap.
the set up is pretty complicated,
inputs - sky q / gaming pc / firestick 4k / google chrome cast / 6 mini consoles (via a hdmi splitter) (snes, nes, mega drive, Atari, neo geo, ps1) Jukebox (touchscreen pc)
output - the main firstly goes to the hdmi matrix which in turn has 2 outputs (projector and 2nd splitter) the secondary splitter then sends to main tv and 4 additional screens

sky q works fine and everything (sound and vision) goes where I want it, but the firestick gives nothing.
I have connected the firestick directly to the tv and it works fine, I’ve tried changing settings on the firestick to reduce the hdmi thingy (i think I turned hdr off)
but I’m really scratching my head and just can’t get it to work.

at one point, 2 days ago, I did have it working, and as far as I can remember, I changed nothing other than adding additional devices, but I’ve tried removing everything and only having the firestick connected And now it still won’t work….. grrrrr any help much appreciated and if you happen to be local, I have a fully stocked bar with free beer to a knowledgable individual and their partner if so desired.
cheers from Dudley U.K……
Your receiver only has HDMI 2.0a inputs. I suspect this is why you are having issues.

I'm only guessing here, but I suppose it will depend on what content you try and watch as to whether you see anything or not? Maybe somebody better informed will be able to confirm but, it is my understanding you won't see any Dolby Vision content.

It should support HDCP 2.2 without issue.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'some message on screen about some hdmi 2.2 crap' - that will be HDCP and without 'that crap' nothing will work :)

Ensue you are not connecting or disconnecting any HDMI kit with power applied to the devices - it is always best to power off fully before you plug or unplug HDMI kit.

I'd power everything Off at the wall and then connect up Firestick > AVR > a single Display with no other devices attached to the system and confirm that is a stable connection.

'the set up is pretty complicated' - just a touch :).

You are up against it trying to use an AVR as a Hub with multiple Display devices connected to a Matrix (or two) down stream of the AVR.

Is this a Residential or Commercial install?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom