• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Not in area is there anything I can do?

willie45

Standard Member
Hi

I am totally gutted. I had ordered Sky+ to be installed today and then when the engineer called he told me it was no go. The signal is being blocked by two trees in the front garden. I am not in a Freeview area officially but I can get pictures in the winter on most channels although once the leaves get going in Spring it starts to pixelate and cut out.

I am not due to be digitalised until 2012 and even then, I'm worried that somehow the signal might not get through the trees. At the same time, it seems that I'm nearly able to get it now. I have a rooftop aerial with signal booster fitted. Is it likely that I can get some sort of "super aerial," fitted which would allow me to receive the signal or not?

I know this is a difficult question to answer but I am really really fed up about this situation.

Thanks for all help :lease:

Willie

smjxm09

Established Member
So if you have trees in the front garden why can't you have the dish at the back of the house, on a pole looking over the roof top and facing clear sky?

willie45

Standard Member
Very tall trees. The engineer was looking all over the place for some way round the problem but couldn't find one. I assume if there was a solution he would have installed the dish.

Willie

ROYOLD

Prominent Member
You could try a TV booster (one outlet type for highest gain) near to the TV. I use two boosters in line to increase the signal - one close to where the aerial downlead enters the ground floor and another close to the TV & AV equipment.

It may not work very well in your case - depends on how much of the digital signal is being attenuated by the trees.

Suggested as a try & see if it works option.

willie45

Standard Member
Thanks Royold. I suppose I am clutching at straws really. I'm just disappointed that I'm stuck with the 4 analogue channels and a ropey channel 5 at least until 2012 and that even then the trees might stop me getting Freeview properly :(

I will maybe call a local aerial fitter with some experience of the conditions and possible solutions for my area.

Willie

willie45

Standard Member
Not my trees. No cable in the area either. Anyway, I got in touch with a Sky engineer and he checked out my situation privately and seems to have set up t a dish with a pole quite satisfactorily. He has checked the signal and say's all is well. I will have to wait until Sky put a box on the end of the cables he installed to make sure but I am cautiously optimistic.

Willie

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom