Not happy with the VT30, what next?

AVF Jay

Banned
Took delivery of my 42VT30, it has bad discolouration and I had a shock when I noticed the viewing angle wasn't great looking at it from the top.

Obviously no one stands above a tv to watch it :laugh: but it has bugged me.

I am gutted and I know every tv is going to have issues, but I don't expect a high end tv to have many "issues".

I think the plan is to "downgrade" and then "upgrade" next year. By downgrading I'll be able to live with "issues" more, e.g a cheap samsung set I could live with backlight bleed, but a top end HX923 I couldn't live with a non uniform screen

So anyway, what is a decent set, I'm open to anything plasma, led, lcd the only criteria I have is that it must be no bigger than 42" (bedroom tv you see) and not have bad input lag.

Thanks

mikej

Took delivery of my 42VT30, it has bad discolouration and I had a shock when I noticed the viewing angle wasn't great looking at it from the top.

Obviously no one stands above a tv to watch it :laugh: but it has bugged me.

I am gutted and I know every tv is going to have issues, but I don't expect a high end tv to have many "issues".

The vertical viewing angle limitation is due to the ambient light filter apparently. The GT30 is supposed to be better in this respect. If the TV is suitably angled to your normal viewing position, then there shouldn't be a problem.

My GT30 looks the same whether I sit on the sofa or stand up, so I don't know what kind of weird viewing angle you were trying to look at your TV at to come up with this 'issue' !

AVF Jay

Banned
My GT30 looks the same whether I sit on the sofa or stand up, so I don't know what kind of weird viewing angle you were trying to look at your TV at to come up with this 'issue' !

I had the tv on the floor in the middle of the room, it was plugged in to check for discolouration/blobs before getting it wall mounted.

As I was stood up I noticed the viewing angle.

It's not a problem, as I won't be standing above the tv to watch it obviously, and the viewing angle isn't the reason for my dissatisfaction.

The discolouration is the reason, it's not right for a high end set, if it was minor I would tolerate it.

AlandEi

I believe that claimed viewing angles are side to side rather than above or below, as manufacturers assume the TV will be at, or slightly above eye level... Many posts on here mentioning the anomilies you mention when viewed from above.

Alan.

AVF Jay

Banned
The viewing angle isn't the reason I'm not happy.

The tv was on the floor and as i stood up I noticed it.

Obviously the tv will not be on the floor with me standing up watching it :laugh:

I just wanted to plug the tv in and check for faults rather than get it wall mounted and then find faults.

AVF Jay

Banned
Well known on here for a while and in the review. GT30 is the same if you walk up to it and look up and down, probably more noticeable on the VT as it has a darker filter.

Yeah you're right, I was aware of it from reviews.

As I said though it's not an issue at all, as it won't affect normal viewing.

To be fair, if the discolouration was only visible on a grey slide I wouldn't care either.

All I care about are things that affect my normal everyday viewing.

Anyway anyone got any suggestions to alternatives :)

AVF Jay

Banned
Decided on a d8000.

No way in hell am I messing about with exchanges of the same set, if the samsung has issues then I can't be that unlucky, it's clearly a reflection of crap quality control to get 2 tvs in a row with issues.

If the samsung has issues I'll go tv less in the bedroom and stick with the pio in the front room.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom