1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not happy with Front/Rear channel separation... Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dimmy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My listening room's about 4m x 3.8m. Front speakers are Mission 775e/77C1 and the surrounds are direct-radiating standmount 771e's, which are elevated to about a metre above my listening position, and are placed to the direct sides of my listenig position, pretty much in the rear-corners of the room. I sit pretty much against the back wall when listening.

I'm not completely happy with the sense of front to back movement I get with multichannel soundtracks. Whilst there is direction, it at times sounds like an expansion of the stereo soundstage, rather than an actual 'surround' mix.

Would elevating the height of the surround speakers help this? There's some extra space to put them 'higher' up on the walls. Or is this a symptom of having direct-radiating surround speakers? Would diffusing bipolar rears like the 77DS be better? Ideally I'd like to keep the 771e's for the surround channels for the Multichannel Music advantages.

Any advice welcome :).

TIA

Dimmy :).

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,774
    Dimmy...have you used a sound pressure level meter for the setup? The £24 was one of the best investments I made, I thought I set it up ok by hearing but was always a little bit in the same position as yourself...Using an SPL totally transformed, matured is the word I use, the sounds stage and separation....

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have :).

4. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Dimmy, if you haven't already done so, angle the rears so they're firing across the back wall, rather than outwards.

"expanded stereo soundstage" sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade then just do it, your speakers deserve a better amp;)

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I get the same effect and was thinking of changing the rears (m7ds) to direct-radiating speakers.I also have a small room and sit just under the speakers at the back wall.I find that if i sit more into the room it does sound a lot better.I also have a center rear speaker this is on the floor pointing up behind the sofa when this is on it does give a better surround effect.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I probably should have mentioned that. They're firing toward eachother in the listening room, directly 'over' my head, and not out into the room.

"Expanded Stereo Soundstage", I mean, they sometimes sound like the Front L/R sounds are just getting louder, rather than sounds are moving all around me. But perhaps you're right.

I do remember you saying your rear-channels seemed 'louder' when you upgraded your amp, but infact you just realised they were 'Singing'. So perhaps an amp upgrade is the answer. I've been putting it off, putting the Display upgrade first, but maybe I'll borrow one from my local dealer and see if it solves my problems.

Thanks for the input people, and keep the ideas coming :D.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Get yourself a copy of Digital Video Essentials and use it's test tones that are designed to help surround imaging. Basically, they're tones that are in-between each speaker e.g between Front Left and Centre, Centre and Front Right, Front Right and Surround Right, Surround Right and Surround Back Right etc etc etc. Armed with your trusty sound meter (preferably on a tripod) you get them all reading the same spl as the main tones. Just a small tweak left or right to the surround speakers can improve things greatly. :)

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Try turning the 771e's around so they face into the wall.

You can then always turn them back for music.

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Have you tried the speakers at ear level?

As a temporary measure mine are at ear level about 10-20 cm behind my listening seat. I have them pushed back against the side walls facing each other accross the room. It gives a very direct sound to the effects channels so you lose some of the diffuseness or envelopement of the surrounds but that might be what you're looking for.