1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Got A Clue!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DiddyDave, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DiddyDave

DiddyDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to change my Sony FD Trinitron 24" TV for an LCD so I can hang it on the wall, and create more space. This is all new to me and I don't know what I’m looking for.

I want something with about the same size screen, not overly expensive, up to £850-£900, but available from a high street retailer (Due to a large amount of vouchers I have).

I want to watch terrestrial TV, DVD's from a DVD player, use a PS2, but most importantly be able to use my PC on it, as I’m trying to get rid of having 2 screens!

I looked at the Philips 23PF9946, and thought it was the kind of thing I’m looking for, I THINK!!!

The long and short is I don't want to feel I have wasted my money.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Without a doubt get the Sharp LC26GA4E...............i've got a feeling people are going to agree with me on this one!

You can pick it up now for about £850, 26" screen size, excellent pic quality, all the connections you need......need i go on?

Ahhhh didn't read that you've got store vouchers........it's sold in Comet for over a grand :eek:

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Vouchers, smouchers if you can save £200 on the interweb then buy undies with the vouchers. :rotfl:

4. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Or give them out as Christmas prezzies for the next few years :thumbsup:

I can just see it "hmmmmmmmmm wonder what we're getting off Dave this year, oh what a suprise........vouchers again!!!"

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Or even try and sell the vouchers on ebay.

6. DiddyDave

DiddyDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went out today and had a look at a few screens. In Currys I noticed a few nice screens. Now 2 screens stood out, the Sharp that most people on here rave about, but was for sale at over £1000!!! The other screen was (don't laugh) a Saisho SX26G1 which was for sale at £649!!

Now I have 2 ways of looking at this...spend £1000 and think I could have got something similar for £649. The other way is I spend £649 and think I should have spent the bit more for the Sharp!

This is my first LCD screen and I can't help thinking that the Saisho would be sufficient for now. To me the picture looked very good, but I’m no expert.

Please somebody tell me if you have ever had any experience of this screen.

7. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I was in the same boat as you, didn't want to spend too much it was a decision between a £700 CRT or a £1000 LCD in the end i thought if i bought the crt i would always have a nagging feeling that i should of paid the extra and plumped for the LCD.............in the end i did.............and i'm sooooooooo glad..............go on do it, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Dont know anything about Saisho products but if you are happy with the picture then go for it. Looking at the spec the backlight seems to have decent life- 50000 hrs ( contrast that with the lifespan of your average plasma 30000).It also a has a fair resolution. My only reservation being there is no HDTV compatability which means you wouldnt be able to get HDTV pictures from dvd players and sky digiboxes that emit them (the latter is set to be released in 2006- so rumour has it). Personally I would rgret not having that which is why I am waiting a year or so before making a purchase.

9. DiddyDave

DiddyDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided after much thinking, to finally get one of the saisho lcds from currys. today is the day!! i have the money in my hand, and i'm going to get one today! (if they have any in stock!!) I will let you all know if this bargin screen is any good.

thanks for all your help!

:smashin: