Not got a clue - advice appreciated

Faust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having recently purchased a Plasma panel, I am now looking at my next project – a more cinematic experience, and I am thinking projector with free standing screen. Now I have to confess at the outset I have no real knowledge of this technology or its limitations so am seeking advice. My idea would be to have a projector and a DVD player for films, and I am hoping I can link this up to my 5.1 AV receiver and maybe my Sky+ box for watching an occasional Sky movie. However, the nearest I could put the projector to the AV receiver and Sky digi box would be about 14 feet away, not sure about cables and the logistics of doing this. Any advice on what I should be looking to buy including price and if I can set this up as described would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Faust, it is easier, when considering projectors, to decide what your budget is first. Whereas the majority of plasma's fall into the £1k - £3k bracket, projectors fall into the £400 - £25k+ bracket.

What are your thoughts?

UrbanT said:
Faust, it is easier, when considering projectors, to decide what your budget is first. Whereas the majority of plasma's fall into the £1k - £3k bracket, projectors fall into the £400 - £25k+ bracket.

What are your thoughts?

£1000 to £1500 for the projector. DLP or LCD, what is the difference? as I said I have not got the first idea about what is possible re: my original post and what is not, I am just trying for a more cinematic experience.

There are some differences in technology between DLP and LCD, so try to get some demos before you decide what to go for because you may find you have a preference - both have pros and cons, and the cons may make one technology unwatchable for you.

There are more LCDs than DLPs within your price range so that might push you towards LCD, but times are changing and there will be more DLPs coming down in price in the coming months so whilst demoing you may find DLP becoming more affordable. 1280 x 720 would be the resolution to aim for if you think you may be getting any Hi Def content to watch in the near future (such as from Sky or Blu Ray or HD DVD).

Most pjs come with a spec sheet that will tell you where they can be placed for a specific screen size, and any good dealer should be able to help you with that.

Gary.

Thanks for that info Gary. Can you help me on whether I can link such a device to my AV 5.1 receiver given the distance, approx 12 to 15 feet, and if I can link into my Sky+ box from that distance, that would only be very occasionally though for Sky.

I don't think you'll have any problems with cable runs of that length, though I would run all video sources directly to the projector to ensure there were as few (or no) connections in between that could cause problems. I would then use the amp to switch to the relevant audio source to match the input I select on the pj.

Gary

Faust said:
Thanks for that info Gary. Can you help me on whether I can link such a device to my AV 5.1 receiver given the distance, approx 12 to 15 feet, and if I can link into my Sky+ box from that distance, that would only be very occasionally though for Sky.

I run a PJ from DVD / Sky via 1 metre component cable to AV-amp, 10 metres to the wall socket, 2 metres behind a wall and a final 20cm to the PJ, no problems what-so-ever. Didn't use *expensive* cables, either, just went for the cheapest 75 ohm cables that I could easily get my hands upon

Mike

I agree with Mike about not having to use expensive cables. I've compared some cables in the past and couldn't see or hear any differences, so you don't have to spend a lot of money on them. I got mine from CPCs but they need a minum order for free delivery (£30?). Prices are very good and some are 'retail packed' for selling on.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom