Not getting freeview channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by H0llY-cs, Feb 1, 2009.

1. H0llY-cs

H0llY-cs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had to cancel all my Sky package shame because I had just booked HD to be fitted. To make things worst my Sky+ box packed up so I'm just using a normal Thompson box when my sub ended I thought I'd still have freeview channels but no I have some but can't get Channel 5 Virgin1 Dave to name a few should I get them?

2. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    With an expired subscription card you should still get C4/FIVE/Sky3/Setanta Sports News (Freesatfromsky)
    BUT NOT
    Dave/Virgin etc.which are subscription channels only on Sky although free on terrestrial Freeview.
    If your Thompson box has not been used for some time, a forced update may be required
    Sky Digibox software - forced downloads

3. markshark

markshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the 'free' channels are actually encrypted and need a card (such as a Freesat card to view). I know this to be a fact as I've just bought (and returned) a Freesat card.

All of the BBC and ITV channels, along with a host of generally useless channels (Shopping, etc.) can be received with no card in the box. However, a handful of channels - such as Channel 5, need a valid card to be present.