Not getting DD on BD

jameson_uk

Novice Member
I have just watched Kung-Fu Panda on BD but I could only get stereo audio.

The disc has a Tru-HD audio track but I was under the impression BD media had to support DD/DTS or LPCM? I have a feeling the DD track is there but hidden within the Tru-HD stream. PowerDVD 7.3 did not seem to like it either way.

Is there a way I can get this disc to play with a DD audio stream?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
It appears that whilst DTS HD MA and HR tracks usually contain a legacy DTS core track, Dolby True HD doesn't (have to?) contain a Dolby Digital legacy track.

Therefore BD replay software usually decodes these tracks to 2.0 - however some player software will recode them to DTS 5.1 (I think Arcsoft Total Media Theatre does this though haven't tried it myself)

Whilst BD and HD-DVD are compatible with DD and DTS - they don't mandate DD and DTS tracks - just that True HD and DTS HD tracks can be output in at least stereo by players.

jameson_uk

Novice Member
Whilst BD and HD-DVD are compatible with DD and DTS - they don't mandate DD and DTS tracks - just that True HD and DTS HD tracks can be output in at least stereo by players.
I was under the impression that media must support one of the mandatory audio codecs (LPCM, DD or DTS)
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kung-Fu Panda disc did not seem to have any of these (or at least I was having problems getting them to work with PowerDVD 7.3)

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I was under the impression that media must support one of the mandatory audio codecs (LPCM, DD or DTS)
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kung-Fu Panda disc did not seem to have any of these (or at least I was having problems getting them to work with PowerDVD 7.3)
That was my original understanding too - however it doesn't seem to be th case universally these days. (It WAS the case with HD-DVD which mandated 2.0 support for True HD and DTS HD in all players)

I may be incorrect - and it may just be that PowerDVD can cope with True HD in 2.0 mode and choses this over a DD track? ISTR that in most cases you can usually select alternative audio tracks on the disc menu - but it may be that the main track - if supplied in True HD and DD versions - is selected automatically by the disc/player combo. (i.e. the disc asks the player - can you cope with True HD? - the player says yes (as it can - the 2.0 is a limitation of the audio output format on the PC not the player software - SPDIF is PCM 2.0 only and can't carry 5.1 or 7.1 PCM - but HDMI and analogue can be 5.1/7.1 PCM or analogue) - so the disc is played in this mode?)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom