Not exactly Plasma, but.....

Dak

Standard Member
Reaction score
.......I am guessing that you folks with Plasma have hit the same problem: where to put all those boxes of (expensive, nice and needing air around them) kit. I like the look of the Arca furniture ('er indoors would approve and it keeps the buttered toast out of the video (kids, not me)) bit the gap to the left of the chimney breast is 960cm and nothing seems to fit to tke all the kit....

Cheers
D

I have:-
Front: Linn Keilidhs | Rears: M&K K4's (tripoles, high up on side wall) | Centre: Kef Q100 (need to change for smaller to go on mantelpiece when Plasma arrives) | Panasonic 42" Plasma going above fireplace (will order as soon as paid for new boiler!) | Linn Ikemi CD | Linn Kairn Pre-amp | 3 x Linn LK140 poweramps | Sony DVP735SE DVD | Yamaha DSPE-800 (changing next, perhaps for Denon 3803?) | PS2 | X-Box | Panasonic Vid (hardly use these days) | TiVo | Telewest Cable box

--- Moderator note:
Dak, Can you please compress your signature (something like I have above), it should not extend over 5 lines.
Thanks
Codlord
--- End of moderator note

DAK

Best bet is to find a friendly cabinet maker and arm them with a couple of brochures of cabinets you like the look of and the dimensions of your room and set a budget - you'd be surprised at what you can get for not much more money than a pre built unit.

Also means you can get an 'exact' match to other Furniture, Woodwork or Speaker cabinet finishes - and that always helps on the domestics.

Just keep in mind shelf spacing - space at the rear for cables and connectors - easy access - cable entry - mains entry - air flow - internal lighting.

Regards

Joe

I just made myself a cabinet which houses all my gear..I used pine boarding for cheapness, doubled up round the edges with 2 x 1 and then edged to give the impression of a thick timber unit.

I measured all my components and allowed a little for future purchases i.e video converter boxes etc.

Speakers fit in either side of the centre shelves and i will make fronts for the unit covered in speaker material to completely hide the L/R speakers (will all be K7 M&K's with the centre sitting on top of the unit) 6mm smoked glass doors have been ordered from the local merchants and I have bought glass locks and hinges (locks to keep my son from shoving jam sandwiches in the video when he is old enough ;-))

I now have a purpose built unit that fits my equipment and fits in with the room....now all I have to do is finish saving for my plasma as the borrowed 14" portable is doing my head in!

The total cost of the unit is £140 including the wood, glass and locks.. oh and the glue.

I can add a picture if anyone is interested.

Lennyz

It is great though cos you hide all the wiring and nothing will detract from the plasma picture

Lennyz

What about an extra compartment for fitting small people and jam sandwiches into :) you could fit an auto washer system in there too!

I would be tempted to look at semi rigid speaker grille material - possibly even behind a layer of thin grille cloth (maybe not ideal as far as being sonically 'transparent' but a bit more robust against small fingers and Power Ranger attacks) - small people can get through grille cloth in minutes!!!

Regards

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I should have thought about a jam sandwich compartment earlier. I knew I should have consulted the experts before building this unit!!

Out of interest Joe can you supply one of these as an add on? I know it is a bit of an afterthought but..... ;)

As far as the speaker grille cloth goes, I ordered it yesterday. It is a fair point you make about it being fragile but i planned on setting the speakers a little way back from the front and keeping their own grilles on too. I may have second thoughts on this now though. I could always put in a semi rigid grillle behind the cloth as well.

Lennyz

Lennyz

You would not believe some of the 'custom' bits'n'pieces we have had to deliver over the years!

Joe

PS Remember and leave a wee space for a 'crumb collector' too.

Just thought I would post a picture (I know it is pretty poor quality..sorry) of my finished home made unit for you Dak.

May not be everyones cup of tea but it works in well with my room.

The 14" portable will soon be given back to my brother to make room for my Pioneer 43MXE...! well pretty soon anyway.

The panels at either side are removable and the other two K7's will sit behind. to keep out prying little fingers ;-)

I know it is not exactly plasma but it is in response to Dak's original post.

Lennyz

not sure what happened to the attachment?? can anyone give me pointers as to how I attach an image succesfully

Ta.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom