Not enough plugs!!

Reaction score
where ive got my tv and dvd player etc.
theres not enough power sockets to let me feed everything.
ive already got a 6 socket extension feeding alot of stuff.
problem is now, ive just got to plug in a whole load of seperates in the same area now.
is it possible to daisy chain extension cables?
or is it a recipe for disaster in the long run?

cheers

h4r7y

you can either make your own hi quality extension there is a DIY thread around here...Also 6 is the most to hang off a 13A mains socket if you have a double wall socket run 6 off one and keep to 4 for higher current stuff, most amps allow for powering another device off the amps PSU switched or unswitched or both utilise this if possible for CD etc

Are you saying you shouldn't have moree than 6 on a single socket?
I'm using an 8-way surge unit with no problems and could actually do with a few more.
When your into AV, the number of components can mount up way beyond this. So how do other folk go on?

ive only got 1 mains socket,
what i wanted to know was if i could shove in another extension into this extension to carry on plugging other stuff into which is another few metres away from the socket.
like a daisy chain
:)

can do but its dodgy mate most kit draws way below 3Amps but at 6 components you are down to amps per unit average socket..... i wont say it will be fine just in case it isnt....... suggest you get socket converted to a double if possible.

oh yeah i think ive seen those actually.
but is there any real difference between that and just using another extension out of the other?
its still the same amount of load on the same single socket.

Just because something has a 3 amp fuse, doesn't mean it requires 3 amps to run.

You can connect as many devices as you like to a single outlet (assuming you use the proper connectors - daisy-chained multi-way extensions are fine) provided that the total wattage of all the devices does not exceed 3000 - the maximum that a single 13 amp socket can provide.

Bear in mind, though, that for a fraction of a second at startup, many devices require more watts than quoted. So routinely turning everything on simultaneously (eg by using only the switch on the socket) may cause the fuse in the plug to blow.

You can normally find the wattage of any device by looking at its technical data plate.

max load is what matters as Nigel says, in my workshop I have 16 plug sockets running off one 13 amp outlet.

fantscitc!
thanks guys, i didnt really want to move my room around again, and deffo didnt want the floors coming up to run an extra cable etc.
i think ill be fine as most of it wont be used at the same time.

cheers guys

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom