not enough home cinema connections?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lionel hutz, Sep 2, 2007.

1. lionel hutz

lionel hutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been searching like mad for an answer to this question so i apreciate any help you can give me:

I've just purchased a new home cinema system to go with my LCD tv and DVD recorder, and am wondering if i can improve the connections between them all?

Currently the digital coaxial lead connects my home cinema to my dvd recorder which is fine, and my tv and home cinema are connected by rca cables as although i have a digial output on my tv there is only one on my home cinema which i currently am using. Is it possible to replace the rca cables with a digital coaxial cable and buy some sort of adaptor(if it exists?) so i can plug two digital coaxial cables into the same socket on my home cinema?

Any suggestions?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If your TV has only stereo speakers and the only 5.1 spkr set is from the Home Cinema Kit then the way you are doing it now is probably the best way. Here's why...

The Home Cinema system is doing the decoding of Dolby ProLogic, Dolby Digital and DTS. Assuming the DVDR is what you are playing DVDs on then the digital coax is the right connection. To listen to the DVDR on the TV speakers without surround sound then a stereo phono connection from the DVDR to the TV is probably best.

Some TVs have an audio output as well as inputs. Connecting this to the HC Kit will give you the chance to listen in ProLogic surround from the TV Tuner or Freeview Tuner if the TV has one.

Regards

3. lionel hutz

lionel hutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

i was just concerned that passing the sound from my tv through to my nice new home cinema by using rca cables might be defeating the object as i'd lose some of the quality, unneccesarily.

its probbaly worth upgrading my cables to gold ones too i'd imagine.

4. lionel hutz

lionel hutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry if i didn't make it clear but i have the sound on the tv off permantly and listen to all tv / sky/ dvd through the home cinema system

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Gold plating just helps to slow down the tarnishing that oxidation causes whenever a bare metal is exposed to air and atmospheric moisture.

Gold plating says almost nothing about the quality of the cable or connector itself. I could gold plate a turd, but it wouldn't smell any better :rolleyes:

The freebie cables are pretty basic so bin them and get yourself some decent 75 Ohm coax interconnects with 75 Ohm plugs. Have a look at Mark Grant cables, QED Conex or Van den Hul as a guide to quality interconnects.

Regards

6. lionel hutz

lionel hutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chris,

would it be better to connect my sky box (if thats possible) to my home cinema system instead of as currently my tv? beacuse surely my sky box receives a digital signal then passes it to the tv which i pass to my home cinema, so it'd be better to cut the tv out and send the digital audio signal straight to my home cinema? There must be some sort of connector on the back of sky boxes for this?

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yes, a direct connection for Sky is the best idea.

A plain Sky box has just stereo phono connections, but Sky+ and Sky HD boxes have an optical connector. Remember to go in to the services menu and find the audio set up then change the default audio output to 'Dolby'. This will give you ProLogic and DD when available.

Regards