Not Enough HD Films Available - Gimme More!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by kudos2, Sep 17, 2007.

1. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Is it just me or does anyone else think there aren't nearly enough films out on HD formats?

I mean I know the formats are fairly new and all but here I am format neutral with nothing I want to watch/buy. This is made even more annoying by the fact I find it difficult to watch DVD anymore!

I find myself pouring over the current releases trying to find something I wouldn't mind buying/watching - again, just so I'll have a disc to spin :rolleyes:

When I first got DVD there was the honeymoon period where i bought discs based on the quality of the transfer, but this eventually gave way to common sense and I ended up buying films I'd actually like to watch.

My HD honeymoon is rapidly ending and what I want now is all new film releases to be day and date with the DVD.

Don't get me wrong, a classic film that has been tarted up and digitally restored is always welcome, the recently restored version of Casablanca is awesome.

Come on studios get those HD discs out and give us something to buy :lease:

Kudos

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Right, for me I disagree, though I know exactly how you feel.

The biggest problem is we've had a quite couple of months, with loads happening as we approach Christmas.

But let's face it, that's true of pretty much everything - SD DVDs, CDs, books, etc.

If everything I wanted came out today in high def, I couldn't afford it all at once.

I'd ration out my spending, but by the time I was nearing the end I bet some of my faves would be deleted.

Between now and the year's end I'm wanting:

HD DVD

Deliverence
    The Wild Bunch
    Transformers
    A Clockwork Orange
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Jack Ryan Collection
    Face/Off
    Harry Potter
    Blade Runner
    Bourne 3

Blu-Ray Disc

A Few Good Men
    Black Book
    Halloween
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    Evil Dead II
    28 Weeks Later
    RoboCop
    Spiderman(s)
    OldBoy
    Die Hards

That's 22. Well, 32 if you're counting the different films in the boxed-sets.

Given that there are only 16 weeks left in the year, that's 2 a week.

And I'm sure there are others that will be added to that list which have not yet been announced.

Steve W

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    Is this not happening then? I have to admit I don't monitor the DVD release schedules as much as I used to but I thought most blockbusters were already doing this.

4. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Indeed, it looks likely that all of the top 20 blockbusters of the year will be on at least one high definition format by the year.

I think the only ones without a release date atm are shrek 3 (which is almost certain to be on hd-dvd this year), Rush Hour 3 (this is probably the biggest question mark) and the Simpsons (not annouced but expected on blu-ray this year)

5. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Well certainly there are a few, but look at the new Grindhouse flicks from Tarantino / Rodriguez which are DVD only. These are going to be mega popular but no HD. Though you could argue they're not blockbusters........

Obviously I'm not going to go through every release but there are heaps which are DVD only if you look......

Kudos

6. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I think Pecker has a point, it's been a quiet month or so and there's loads to look forward to running up to xmas.

I guess I'm just impatient :eek:

Kudos