1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Convinced:ntsc Converted To Pal

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bluesfan, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not convinced that Europe is getting as good quality dvds as the States or those on the NTSC format. I have 1999 Tom Petty High Grass Dogs, a great concert, but I think for 1999 the picture quality should be better. Is it possible that this is better in the NTSC version and some degradation occurred in the conversion to PAL for the Europe market?

The proof is obviously to get the NTSC version. Has anyone any evidence of what I am suggesting.

If true I will have to consider sourcing NTSC disks for live concerts.

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It is all dependant on how the film has been mastered - a straight conversion of the US DVD is not going to be as good as a conversion of the original source. Some PAL DVDs look better than their NTSC cousins - its all down to the source used and any special processes to enhance the picture.

I'm afraid that if you really want the best version of a particular DVD you are stuck looking at sites like dvdcompare.net and dvdbeaver.com - there is no magic bullet.

Having said all that, the PAL speed up issue may or may not be an issue for you...

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean dependent. A dependant is a relative.

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    stupid spelling checker, it should be context sensitive for spelling suggestions.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Spooky, my boss has just corrected me on that exact same spelling :)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    PAL speedup is an issue for the tele-cine process where an original 24fps film is transferred to PAL video.
    PAL speedup is highly unlikely to be an issue where the original source is video (either NTSC or PAL) or (as in the case of some TV shows) film, transferred to video (either PAL or NTSC) for editing. In each case, the final edited source is video (either PAL or NTSC). Conversion to the other format (either direction) involves no speed change.

So, in the context of the OP, it is an irrelevance.

Standards conversion pretty well always degrades the image, although I have seen some evidence that the NTSC result of a conversion from PAL is nowhere near as bad as the PAL result of a conversion from NTSC.

Really, the answer is (by guesswork or whatever other means are available) to try and establish how the concert was originally shot, and make a decision based on that.

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101

so what about the different numbers of frames in NTSC and PAL material?

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    What about it?

NTSC video, converted to PAL video is converted real time. 1 second (30 frames) of NTSC original results in exactly 1 second (25 frames) of PAL conversion. In professional equipment it is done by storing (I think) 4 fields at a time and then interpolating to produce the revised output frame rate. Also the scanlines are interpolated. This is precisely why PQ is poor. There is motion blurring and still blurring as a result of the interpolation process.

9. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all your comments. I guess the only way to prove the case is to get copies of both versions. I'm just quite surprised that so many 'new' concert videos are such poor quality picture. My camcorder makes better pictures!