Not connecting SkyHD to the phone line?

PoppetK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me if I'm going to have any major problems not connecting my Sky HD box to the phone line?

I've been a Sky+ customer for years and recently moved our living room around which involved re-siteing the Sky box. I had to pay Sky £65 to come in to move the box and BT wanted £140 to put in a new phone socket at the other side of the room :eek:

We decided not to connect it to the phone line. Engineer came to move the Sky box and was fine with that, but said we'd loose all the interactive services.

Anyhow, we've recently updated to Sky HD and have the same issue with no phone socket to connect it to. Prior to ordering the box I phone Sky and asked why it needed to be connected to the phone. The person on the phone (and from what I've read I understand it's pot-luck on the kind of person you speak to) couldn't actually give me any reason it HAD to be connected to the phone - other than the interactive services.

The box arrived and we had the self-installation option so my husband set it up. When he contacted Sky to switch the card over they said it needed to be connected to the phone. My husband ended the call after giving her all the info and was about to go down to B&Q to buy a phone extension cable when the HD channels started working!

It's been almost 2 weeks now and it seems fine not being on the phone, but can anyone please confirm and put my mind to rest that I'm not going to be missing any important updates etc? Surely they'd come through the dish not the phoneline?

Thanks,
Hayley

it doesnt need to be connected, its purely for intereactive services and for market research (they see what you like to watch etc)

oh and multiroom if you have more than one box

You'll be fine. Updates are indeed done via the Satellite not the phone line.

it doesnt need to be connected, its purely for intereactive services and for market research (they see what you like to watch etc)

oh and multiroom if you have more than one box

That's exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks :thumbsup:

I don't mind loosing the interactive services, never really used them much anyway and if there is something on PPV that we desperately want to watch you can phone them to order it.

Cheers again,
Hayley

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I know with SKy + you have to have your box connected as part of the terms of agreement, I received several warning letters and just ignored them until a huge bill came through one month,,, phone them and they told me as part of my agreement I had to have it connected to the box ( yeah I think it's for market research etc ) the box had to be plugged in,,,

But might be worth double checking if it's the same with Sky HD or if another member could enlighten me

So does the SKY HD box need to be connected to the phone line for the initial set up? I've just got a HD box on order and but my SKY + hasn't been connected to a phone line for months...

I've had Sky HD for over a year without a phone line, so no it's not required. Also it doesn't need a phone line to be swt up. you can call sky and they will pair it with your card over the air.

I've had Sky HD for over a year without a phone line, so no it's not required. Also it doesn't need a phone line to be swt up. you can call sky and they will pair it with your card over the air.

Excellent, Cheers mate...

I purchased my own HD box and installed it myself - never connected to phone line

Phoned Sky to activate card with new box - again all fine - however after 4 hours still never got Sky Sports HD

Phoned them up (on my mobile) and as did so plugged box into phone line - as we talked on mobile (very helpful rep on other end) Sky sports sprung to life

Immediatley unplugged from phone line - every now and then though I do do a forced update but as I understand it I have no contract with sky (well I have never signed anything anyway) and dont need box connected to phone line

Mind when I lived with parents and we had multi-room we often got letters saying we should have BOTH boxes connected to phone line as it was part of te tocs

the only time you need it hooked upto a phone line is when you first join sky it needs to be attached for the first 12 months as per your contract. this is because the service is subsidised by the market research to give you a cheaper box and packages (half price deals etc)

after the first 12 months you can disconnect

only other time that you need to have a phone line permanently is if you have multi room. this is to make sure your not giving your other box and card to someone else

the only time you need it hooked upto a phone line is when you first join sky it needs to be attached for the first 12 months as per your contract. this is because the service is subsidised by the market research to give you a cheaper box and packages (half price deals etc)

after the first 12 months you can disconnect

only other time that you need to have a phone line permanently is if you have multi room. this is to make sure your not giving your other box and card to someone else

I've got multi room so that's probably why I got the violation letters from Sky, I guess that will be the same for me when I get Sky HD as I will be keeping the multi room in the upstairs bedroom.

Someone else said this above but when you take out a new HD contract ie order HD for the first time, you sign a contract ( even verbally) to have your HD box connected to a telephone line for 12 months. If you don't your in breech of your contract. SKY send out warning letters before it gets serious though ( if they notice).

And yes I'm pretty sure you need the box connected on install to pair the card to the box but after its only for PPV purchases that I think you need it for.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom