Not buying new releases anymore!

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There have been some great movies this year, and I have been really looking forward to getting them on DVD, but now when it comes to it I am hesitant to spend my money... I was always one of those people that would buy DVDs as soon as they were released, but I have stopped doing so now as I am so sick of buying a DVD only to see them release a better version a few months later...

Sin City is one I really want - but apparently there is a Special Ed already scheduled.
I can't wait to see Revenge of the Sith again, but you know there is going to be a new trilogy or six-movie box-set out soon.
I want to get Kingdom of Heaven but there are rumours of a director's cut.
And no doubt Batman Begins and War of the Worlds will be superceded shortly after release!

Is it just me or are the DVD Distributors killing the golden goose! :mad: :thumbsdow

I stopped buying new releases, and as a consequence I rarely buy films on DVD anymore (still buy TV series of interest). Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I've not really missed it.

To me it was a value thing, why spend 15.99 when it could be 7.99 in six months? However, when the 7.99 price arrives either apathy set in or I'd already seen the film.

DVD Distributors will carry on doing this as long as people keeping buying them, i think there is a quit a few people on here that buy the same film 2 or 3 times,

i tend to wait now and see what version there will be, as i waited for SIN CITY , as i will be buying the dir cut ,

i had my rant on this before & almost got kicked of the site , of what i sort of these money grabbing companys

I think the last time i bought a brand new movie was way back in December :eek:

I had to stop buying as i was buying for buyings sake :nono: although there was also a bit of why should i spend £15 for it to sit in the ever growing to be watched pile when i could pick it up for half this price a few weeks after release (to sit in the to be watched pile) :suicide:

It's a tricky one - I tend to avoid the multiplex these days on the grounds that (a) it's getting bleedin expensive and (b) I can't remember the last time I saw a truly decent movie.

I've also managed to kick the habit of buying new dvd releases sight unseen - for me it's a trial rental from blockbusters before i shell out any more dosh. For example, I managed to resist the temptation of buying Sin City until i had rented it, and I'm mighty glad I did so - talk about over-hyped.

Plus there are just too many different versions of the same movie being released...directors cut, special edition and so on. It's no longer genuine...just a marketing ploy.

I'm still buying new releases. If I already own a movie then I won't buy the same film 2 or 3 times. For example -directors cut or the special edition of the same movie.

and they wonder why people download movies or pick up a dvdrip from the bootsale.

i used to preorder all my dvds but these days you just know there will be a superduper s.e down the line.

i too held off buying sin city,but how quick the new version was announced really surprised me.was it 3 months or something?

lotd unrated was the last dvd i preordered.

youve just mentioned all the movies on my current buy list, apart from Kingdom of Heaven which I already have. time for a rethink ....... :)

I am waiting for HD to arrive, my dvd buying has reduced considerably in the last 6 months with only the essentials and a number of bargain dvd's being bought. :)

Don't forget that the Sin City Director's Cut was announced well before the release of the standard version. We were warned.

Same here. I won't be buying new releases any more, unless at discount, Batman Begins I've had on order for ages at at low price, and I've just bought Blue Planet for a 2 for £12 which arrived this morning.

I'm just going to sit them out. 3 to 6 months isn't that long to wait with everyting else to do to see if the price falls or a new SE is released.

I too am glad I waited to rent Sin City instead of buying it. Watched it at the weekend and what a load of cobs, but I had never read the comic.

the_pauley said:
Don't forget that the Sin City Director's Cut was announced well before the release of the standard version. We were warned.

true,,,but whats the point of relaeasing a bare bones one, when its not beyond the realms of possibility to do a cinema/directors cut on the same disc (ala T2, which for having 3 versions on the same disc has yet to be beaten imo)

the studio's are just milking the consumer, after all with cinema figures on the decline they have to make money some how.

i just dont buy any dvd at release i wait till its cheaper.

"i just dont buy any dvd at release i wait till its cheaper." , I do this with xbox games, think I might have to start doing the same with dvd's, whats another 3 months wait. Usually dont get a chance to watch them straight away either

The only new releases I've ordered recently are the region 1 Battlestar Gallactica season one box-set and revenge of the Sith. The latter is the only film I was willing to pay top dollar to own a copy on release, which I managed to order cheap anyway.

I did used to order certain titles on release on region 3 because they were so reasonably priced at between £8 - £10 on release. Now they are more comparable with region 1 and 2 I just wait for them to be knocked down in price.

I've also found that a lot of new films tend to be polished turds which has helped me to reduce my DVD spending drastically. eg Sin City IS SO OVERRATED! Rentals seems to be the best option to sort the wheat from the chaff and there is an awful lot of chaff.

The last 12 months I've noticed I've been buying a lot more TV series since they have become more realistically priced, £20 - £30 seems reasonable.

Isn't it about time that more other films got a decent special edition release rather than films which already have decent two disc releases!

This HAS to be one the worst years I have ever known for films. Haven't purchased a single 'new film' all year and i'm a fairly big collector but it's recently stalled at just under 300 titles.

For the first time since I first got a DVD player way back in 99, this'll be the first Xmas where my Xmas list won't feature any DVDs.

A VERY poor year for movie DVDs. :thumbsdow

Guess I'll HAVE to get into US TV dramas and get into Boxset releases !

The Trade section of these forums has counted for probably 80 to 90% of my purchasing this year.

And as for everyone who didn't like Sin City thppppbbb<where's the rasapberry blowing smilie when you need it?> :eek: . It gets my vote as film of the year. :) :thumbsup:

I haven't bought any films on DVD this year. I have bought plenty of TV series such as CSI, CSI Miami, Las Vegas, Star Trek TOS, Dead Zone.

I have mainly rented film DVD's from Amazon as they are a lot cheaper than Blockbusters and Choices stores.

I will now only play £5.99 to £7.99 for a film DVD. A TV series boxset has to be below £30 and nearer to £20 to £25 (except for Star Trek where I will pay up to £40).

Kevo said:
This HAS to be one the worst years I have ever known for films. Haven't purchased a single 'new film' all year and i'm a fairly big collector but it's recently stalled at just under 300 titles.

For the first time since I first got a DVD player way back in 99, this'll be the first Xmas where my Xmas list won't feature any DVDs.

A VERY poor year for movie DVDs. :thumbsdow

Guess I'll HAVE to get into US TV dramas and get into Boxset releases !
I think you are right Kevo...Ive mostly concentrated on things Ive missed getting in the past ( an advantage as such things are usually cheap) Ive picked up 3 of this years dvds....Chronicles of Riddick ( I see there is a better version of that out now to :rolleyes: ), Downfall (theres a film worth getting for your xmas list) and The league of gentlemens Apocalypse...cos im a fan....but it all sure does make me careful of what to buy

I was always one of those people that would buy DVDs as soon as they were released, but I have stopped doing so now as I am so sick of buying a DVD only to see them release a better version a few months later...
Have to admit this doesn't really bother me at all. I don't goto the cinema that much - instead I buy the DVDs as soon as they are released. The special features on the discs are of very little interest to me - I own almost 2000 DVDs and the only extras I have ever really watched are the 007 and Star Wars ones. Therefore a 'collectors edition' means very little to me.

The only time it does annoy me is when a second edition carries a DTS track whereas the former didn't. But even then unless I am unhappy with the DD sound on the original I won't upgrade.

I have very little spending power at the mo any way so Its a years worth of DVD on one christmas list.

However I do agree that it gets annoying, for instance I bought Gladiator a while back with 2 Disk Collectors Edition. They have no released the 4 Disk Limtied Edition but you almost know that there will not be any great difference in special features.

After a while you stop watching the bonus disk because it is always a let down.

A making of and a few "features" that dont really stack to what seems to be advertised.

I hardly have the time to watch all the films let alone all the extras.

I do get more from TV with CSI, Family Guy and old cartoons.

The cinema is also too expensive at £7.50 a ticket for bad seats and sometimes bad films.

I only tend to buy new films if they are presents for other people, and only then if they have asked for them.

When I do buy new films for myself (normally when I haven't seen it at the cinema) I try to make sure that I get them for around a tenner or so, otherwise I'd wait till its cheap.

The exceptions are films like Land of the Dead as it was cut to a 15 for the UK release, so rather than waste money on cinema tickets for a personal must see I brought it on (unrated) DVD (still worked out cheaper than going to the cinema) as soon as it came out. Another exception are reissues of films that I'm a big fan off, such as the Kurosawa Criteon releases, I always spend top dollar on those.

I think the studios will eventually learn that this double dipping and price cutting will ultimately harm DVD sales - it must have an effect on margins as it has to be more expensive to make two versions of the film (say one with DTS, one without, or two cuts of the film, see Alexander). I wish they would do what Disney used to do, release a single disk and dual/trio/quad disk special edition from day 1, leaving the ultimate editions for the big anniversary(s) for the film.

I've just bought Blue Planet for a 2 for £12 which arrived this morning. QUOTE said:
Blue planet 2 for £12 - where from?

Doh a directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven - drat I promised myself not to buy until another dvd until a viabilly extended version appears. :suicide:

The wife has been shocked by the lack of dvd's coming through the post over the last 6 months. I stopped buying dvd's on release around 18 months ago but the reason my flow has come to a crawl is the same reason Lex mentioned. You always know there'll be a super-duper beefed up version around the corner. I'm not one for double-dipping...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom