Not as easy as it looks

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Tried a few people shots today with my new 50mm f/1.4 lense.

It's not as easy as it looks and I'm realising I have a lot to learn and need lots of practice.

Any comments, tips, or advice would be very welcome!
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 95
I agree that shooting people isnt just a case of picking up a camera and shooting, then again with digital and the ability to shoot shoot shoot you might just catch a decent one ... My tips (of course coming from a complete novice so feel free to totally ridicule) would be to go for tighter crops around your main subject and blur out the background to focus the readers attention ..

Good start. This is my favourite area, so here are some tips. Open up the lens to get maximum bokeh (blur) though be careful at 1.4 as you may loose to much of the subject - ergo one eye in focus etc. With this lens you can still get wonderful depth of field at 4 -5.6. Also, as it is a prime, your feet are your zoom/tool. Remember that.

Nice one, looking forward to following your development. :thumbsup:

Pete.

Thanks monkeyleader and Pete.

Those shots were all cropped quite a bit. I do think I need to get closer to the subjects and get used to the different approach that requires. There's definitely a knack to stepping in front of complete strangers in public and taking their photo. At the moment I find it a bit uncomfortable but I suppose you get used to it after a while like anything else.

PeteB_2000 said:
i actually quite like shot 1 , lots going on in the shot especially in some of the expressions

Pete

Cheers PeteB. That's pretty much what I was aiming for, the crowd was really random, wandering in all directions with distractions all around them.

i also like the sign with "love and fun" on it seems to be pointing at the crowd dont know if you intended it as that but thats how I see it.

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom