Not another "what screen?"

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gingerpeely, May 29, 2008.

1. gingerpeely

gingerpeely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I've got a panasonic Ax100 and have been very happy for the last year projecting on to an Ikea black out blind, but after some home improvements have got to move it from it's current location and have decided to get a proper screen. So am hoping some of you might be able to help out with some advice. I'm after a ceiling mounted pull down one.

The projector will be 5.5m from the screen and the viewing position 3.6m from the screen. It will be suspended from a beam around 2.7m off the ground. I do have blackout blinds to most of the windows but admit I do like a little bit of light in the room. It is also painted white, I know it's not the best for home cinema but I don't have a choice.:thumbsdow

To be honest I've been pretty happy with projecting on to the trusty Ikea blind but then again I've never seen it anything different. I was thinking of something like the graywolf II to try and enhance the blacks but am I right in saying the glass bead type screens aren't best suited to ceiling mounted projectors? I'm not too sure on the size either would a 106" be too big? My budget isn't that great, £200ish and the screen will need quite a drop on it as it will be mounted off a beam in the ceiling, I reckon just under 1m before the viewing area begins.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    I currently have a 120" Greywolf II that I use with my AE2000. I only watch films in complete darkness normally, but when setting up there is a small table lamp on at the back of the room and the picture is quite watchable even with this lamp on. The Greywolf helps to boost the brightness, but mostly when the PJ is dead in line with the screen. Ceiling mounting should still give some useful 'gain' above a plain white screen and the grey colour will help give better blacks especially in a white room with some lights on. Negatives are that the glass beads sometimes 'sparkle' on bright parts of the image like clouds, etc, but I use an ND filter to dim down the image a bit and it got rid of the sparkles completely for me.

I have been considering changing to a larger 133" screen (not a Greywofl as they don't do that size) so I can use an anamorphic lens which will make the picture too big to fit on the 120". However, due to delays in getting some samples, other domestic requirements have eaten into the cash I'd set aside for this upgrade. :rolleyes: I don't think I'll be too bothered as the picture on the GW is still good and it hasn't wrinkled after 18 months of use (it is the electric version though).

I got mine from CVSMedia who are a forum sponser and give good service and prices.

Hope this helps.

3. gingerpeely

gingerpeely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your help Kelvin, it's good to here some actual feedback from someone that's actually got one. Sounds like I may be in the same boat as you and wait until next month to get one. My laptop died on me a couple of days ago so need to get that fixed first... money money money:suicide: