1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not another what DVD recorder thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by watchmaker, Jan 19, 2005.

1. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can someone please help me choose a DVD recorder with the following essential features:
    Must play CD-R, CD-RW, MP3s, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW
    RGB IN + OUT
    Records anamorphic widescreen off sky+

The following would be nice but aren't too important:
    Multi region handset hack
    Plays SACD or DVD-A

The main purpose of the recorder would be to hold the overspill from Sky+ and to record programs for watching elsewhere but it will also become my main player for movies etc.

Slight preference for DVD- over + as I've discovered + doesn't work on a friend's player that I'm likely to be lending to. No need for RAM or a harddrive as I've got Sky+.

No particular budget (within reason). Thanks for any replies.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    May I suggest you read my 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature? It answers some of your questions and describes why a HDD in a DVD recorder has a totally different function to that in Sky+. Just to answer a few of your other points:

Most DVD recorders will do all these - although always check before you buy!

They all do this: what some of them don't do is record the widescreen switching signal which is easily fixed by pressing 'Widescreen' on your TV.

3. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks very much for your response.

Based on the "Which DVD recorder" link in your sig I'm considering going for the Sony GX300. I assume this is similar to the GX500 ranked second in the list except no Freeview? It sounds like it has the best playback and has received good reviews elsewhere.

From what it says in the link am I right in thinking the main advantage of RAM and hard drives over Sky+ is the ability to edit a recording? I'm unlikely to need this feature but I assume I could do this using a DVD writer on a PC if I really needed to?

Do you know if the Sony records the widescreen switching signal off the TV? I know I can change this on the TV but it involves going through a few menus and is actually one of the reasons I'm considering getting rid of the video.

Thanks again for your helpful reply! :clap:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    That is a decent enough recorder and will do a good job of recording from Sky.

The Sony offers editting - although it isn't particularly slick - but yes you could certainly edit on a PC.

If you use DVD-RW media then yes.

5. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks again for your quick response.
    I assume widescreen switching doesn't work if you use one of the other recording formats?