not another speaker advice thread

tim68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been using Kef Reference Model One speakers as part of 5.1 home cinema for several years now. I have a budget of £1300, is there anything on the market with similar qualities as the model one I should be looking at. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Tim

How about the B&W MT30 home cinema package.

Normally about 1400 GBP.

A friend of mine has the MT20 and it sounds very good indeed.

Sorry to ask such an obnoxious question, and certainly nothing personal, but how can a person (in general) not have room for floorstanders, but at the same time have room for bookshelf on stands?

I guess I can come up with some possibilities on my own, like furniture not blocking bookshelves on stands, or wall mounting. Sorry, just rambling a bit.

£1,300 (I wish that was in my budget) so...2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, or 7.1. You say 'home cinema' which implies, but doesn't necessarily mean, surround sound.

So, how may speakers do you expect to buy for £1,300, and what amp are you currently using?

Do you listen to a mix of music and movie, or primarily movies and TV?

Did you have anything in mind? Like a very small 'palm of your hand' 5.1 surround system? Do you prefer wood grain or were you thinking black?

Just a few more details should get things started.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry to ask such an obnoxious question, and certainly nothing personal, but how can a person (in general) not have room for floorstanders, but at the same time have room for bookshelf on stands?

I guess I can come up with some possibilities on my own, like furniture not blocking bookshelves on stands, or wall mounting. Sorry, just rambling a bit.

£1,300 (I wish that was in my budget) so...2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, or 7.1. You say 'home cinema' which implies, but doesn't necessarily mean, surround sound.

So, how may speakers do you expect to buy for £1,300, and what amp are you currently using?

Do you listen to a mix of music and movie, or primarily movies and TV?

Did you have anything in mind? Like a very small 'palm of your hand' 5.1 surround system? Do you prefer wood grain or were you thinking black?

Just a few more details should get things started.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve. No offence taken.

I could have another pair of floorstanders but just wanted to know if there was anything available as bookshelf without taking to much of backward step in terms of quality compared to the model one.

As part of a 5.1 surround sound. I have a pair of M&K k4 for surrounds and a M&K sub and a kef 200c centre speaker. The amp is a yamaha RXV2700with a Tag power amp on the model one. the budget will be for the main front speakers.

Just for movies and surround sound gaming. As for how they look wood grain would be nice but not important.

I think I have covered all you ask.

Tim

How about the B&W MT30 home cinema package.

Normally about 1400 GBP.

A friend of mine has the MT20 and it sounds very good indeed.

Hi Dr E. Thanks for the suggestion but i just wanted main speakers as i have surrounds. My appols I should have stated on original post.

I somewhat hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem I am having is that you want to spend too much money. Who would of even thought that could be a problem?

I can find speakers that will consume the amount of cash that you have specified, but I'm not so sure that those are speakers that I would want to have. I mean presumably the goal is to achieve good sound, not consume money.

But beyond knowing you want 'bookshelf' we really don't have much to work with. Are there particular brands that appeal to you? Are there limits to style and design?

I'm just not sure we have enough to work with.

For example -

Here is a speaker that will consume your money and deliver a good sounding speaker in your price range, but is it the best application of your money? I can't be sure of that.

JBL HT% Short Vertical LCR Speaker @ £645 (each?)
http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10408

but I ask myself if I would personally be satisfied paying that much money for what is essentially a 5.25" woofer. And the answer is, I don't think so, not when I see everything else that money can buy me.

Now you could go to the dual woofer version of that -

JBL HT4V THX® Vertical LCR Main Speaker @ £745 (each?)
http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10409

But then I have to wonder if you wouldn't be just as happy with this speaker -

ACOUSTIC ENERGY AELITE 2 SPEAKERS (PAIR) @ £249.95
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1821

For the money you are spending, you can have anything you want, but what do you want? There are so many great speakers that you could purchase for that money, but there are many great speakers you could purchase for less money. Unless you are truly looking to buy ultra-delux top of the line speakers, I suggest you shop around a bit and find out what appeals to you, and that would help narrow it down.

Right now, I think the question is too general to get people to respond.

Sorry.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom