1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Another Piracy Post ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the mechanic, Feb 5, 2005.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi y'all,

Just been reading in this months edition of DIGITAL HOME mag about the MD of blockbuster video (Alex Sparks) about how he thinks that simultaneously releasing films both in the cinema AND on DVD on both sides of the pond would reduce the number of pirate copies on the streets.
    Thinking about it, it would be good to see the latest releases at the same time as our cousins in america, but somehow don't think the studio's would go for it because at the end of the day, (as they probably see it), it makes them more money by staggering releases.
    Surely it makes sense (well it does to me anyway), that if the same film is released world wide at the same time, then everbody would have the chance to watch it therfore negating the need to buy a poor quality rip-off from " that guy down the pub ".
    Obviously if it was just the cinema releases that were simultaneous, then there would still be a market for ripped copies on DVD for the people who are either unwilling or too busy/lazy to go out to the local multiplex to view them.
    What it all boils down to is the pirates are suppling what the public wants :-
    an exclusive first look at the latest HOLLYWOOD movie, if the same films were available at the same time accross the world, what would be the point in trying to sell an INFERIOR / ILLEGAL copy when all you need to do is pop into the local cinema / video rental store, and watch it in all it's glorious spendour, safe in the knowledge that the hundreds / thousand you've spent on your home cinema is not going to waste watching someone eating popcorn three rows in front of the pirate who's videoing the silver screen. :mad:

If only the studios would wake up to the fact that by staggering releases, it does end up costing them more in lost revenue, as the people who regularly buy pirate copies probably don't / won't buy the legitimate discs when released cos they've already seen it 6 to 8 months previously.

Apologies for the long post, just had to get it off my chest,

TTFN

Graham.

2. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I brought Ella enchanted for my two neices, it came out on dvd in Canada in August it didn't come out at the cinemas in this country until December!!!!!!!!

3. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No wonder there is piracy with the price of renting a DVD from Blockbuster :eek:

I picked up Ray R1 just after it was relesed in the UK cinema, it is good when the R1 DVD gets released before or at the same time as the UK cinema release as you feel as if your getting something.

I can not see the pirate DVD's going away for along time not unless as the first posts says regarding closer release dates. At the end of the day it's supply and demand if there are people willing to buy copies then the "pirates" will continue to supply no matter what the legal implications are

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Releasing movies in the Cinemas and on DVD simultaneously across the world won't stop the piracy as most (IMO) of the people who buy the pirate copies don't go to the Cinema or buy full price DVDs anyway.

Adrenochrome.

5. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know allot of people are against piracy but for me it boils down to this, i am disabled so going to the cinema to see films is impossible. I get to see films i would never have seen before, be it city of god, or donnie darko or infernal affairs, just because i can download them. For me then when i meet a truely good film like gardenstate or any of the films i just mentioned i will 100 percent buy the dvds, because i believe that good films are a rare thing hollywood and you should support the people who make them. The people that really loose out are the likes of say britney spears where people download there album or film and realise that bar huge jugs these people have no talent, so they dont go out and buy the cd/dvd.
    I wish i could explain to the people who make these awesome films how much they effect me and for that short period make me forget how harsh and unfair life can be.

6. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    STANLEH,
    Hope I did'nt offend you or any other disabled persons with my thoughtless comments about the reasons not to visit the cinema, I humbly apologise.
    I appreciate that there are less fortunate people than myself, but really that should not be a reason to flout the law by resorting to pirating films either by downloading them youself, or buying from a bloke in the street ?
    Not only are you running the risk of arrest, but there may come a time that the film studios may decide enough is enough and stop making the sort of films us the public want to watch, then where would we all be ??

BTW I totally agree about your comments on the less than talented / pretty boy / girl so called "musicians" ???? that seem to be rife in the charts at the moment.
    Maybe they should stand trial for some of the blatant rip off, re-hash, re-mix of some classic 60's 70's and 80's music origionally performed by an artist who is supremely more talented than they can EVER aspire to. (apologies to all GIRLS ALOUD fan(s) ? out there).

TTFN

Graham.

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    apology accepted... :D

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    well i'll admit i usually download my movies instead of watching them in the cinema. i don't like going to the cinema. it's full of chavs who won't stop talking during the movie, and the picture and sound quality are usually naff. And if you want something to eat it's gonna set you back at least a fiver. Hell i've even had one film reel break during the movie and had to leave cos they couldnt fix it.. ok so maybe a telesync isn't as good as seeing it in the cinema, but it's good enough in most cases, and if you can wait a few weeks, you'll find a telecine or dvdscr which are much better.

Plus i don't see why the movie studios should get my money twice for good movies or once for bad movies. if the movie is good i'll buy it on DVD, if it's crap i won't buy it at all, and i think that's perfectly fair. On special occasions i'll go to the cinema, like for Freddy vs Jason cos it was something i'd waited to see for 10+ years, or the Butterfly Effect cos it's one of the best movies i've EVER seen when i saw it on dvdscr, but on the whole i'll watch it on my computer and make my mind up from that whether i want to buy the DVD.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right,
    Piracy is against the law. Pirate videos and dvds/ vcds are mostly of very bad quality and spoil the enjoyment of the film. Down loading movies to a pc or laptop, just as bad in my opinon.
    I used to own and manage a video rental shop so I have been in the postion of being able to see some of the :censored: copys of films floating around.

It all boils down to people not being able to wait for official release dates of movies and trying to save a few pounds for inferior copys. It harms the industry as a whole ,which in the end can only be a bad thing.
    And anyway if you have a computer why not use on line rental services, and have the offical movies delevered to your door, the release windows between cinema and home movie format are gettimg shorter all the time, so why not wait for a better product instead of rushing for a poor one.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I have to agree with Mr Sheekey, in the above post! No matter who you are, or what your situation in life is, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for pirating any film! :lesson:

Being a wheelchair-user, or having a disability of some kind, may be a reason not to go to the cinema, but there are still other legal ways, of seeing a film, without having to resort to lining some pirating :censored:'s pockets! :mad:

I'm on benefit right now, whilst I study for my law degree. I haven't been able to find any half-decent jobs for a while now. I haven't bought a DVD in over 3 months, nor rented one in 6! I haven't been to the cinema in nearly a year! I'd love to go to the cinema, or buy/rent a DVD, but I can't afford it... period. I don't resort to buying or renting pirated material, just because I can't afford to buy a film I really want. I have to wait to see it!

I'm sorry, folks, but those of you who advocate piracy, or condone it by downloading copyright material off of P2P sites, deserve nothing but contempt! :mad: I know some of you try to claim the moral high-ground by saying "Well if I like the film, I buy the legal version once it becomes available" or "I'll watch the proper version when it gets shown on TV". That's not a suitable or reasonable justification! You're committing a crime, and harming the very industry and people you support by coming to this Forum, and posting here! In effect, you are spitting on that person! And this person, may even be someone you've claimed to be a friend of yours! Is that the way to treat friends - be they real-life people you know, or people you know on the Internet? I don't think it's right to treat them like that. I know people on here, who I would call friends, even though I've never met them in my life, and may never get to meet them. But they're still my friends - people I respect, people I care for, people I like spending time in the company of, albeit via the internet. And I'm sure as hell, not going to spit on them, just so that I can see a film before others, or because I don't want to pay for the privilidge of doing so!

Just because the tools exist to commit a crime and get away with it, does not mean that you should be able to perform that crime!

There are a few people on here, who are actually employees of the film industry. (I know of one person here, who has worked on Ridley Scott's "Gladiator", and some of the "Harry Potter" films!) So, why deprive that person of money for them, their family and their livelihood, by paying money for cheap, nasty downloaded or pirated material?!

I don't care what anyone else says, there are no excuses to watch and pay for pirated material, in whatever format you obtain it! :lesson:

Pooch

11. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I used to download films on occasion, but never found a film of great quallity. It allway's made watching the film dissapointing. Even if the film was good. So I stopped downloading about 18 months ago.

I don't go to the cinema now either. There is alway's at least one dick head in there who will most probably be sitting near me. Plus there only seems to be one volume level, which is way to loud for me.

All my film veiwing is on new release R1 DVD. On many ocassions i'm watching a film, even a big film like Hellboy or Man On Fire before they are even at the cinema.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    on a slightly different note, I hear people where I work say to me that they buy pirates(from that bloke down the pub :suicide: ) because they say dvds and cds are overpriced and two expensive. Perhaps if people did not buy these pirates in the first place then the industry would not be spending money chase the conterfitters and pass some of the savings on to the consumer.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well i have taken a fairly heavy stance on piracy ( no pirates on my system) and as i ahve the best system out of all my mates it means i watch films on my own.......a girl i know gets lists of films from a woman at work, ticks the box £5-6 per film and most are horrible quality........some are as good as the DVD...Some of the films are unwatchable and it is a mix of Quality and legality that stops me, But i am all for R1 importing etc and think simultanoeus release worldwiode would be much better, (in fact i think studios who continue to screw loyal fee paying consumers need to loose money) Why do cinemas where piracy is rife get the releases? a while ago there was a big DVD9 thread that was interesting.

14. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes i agree with your posts, specially when it comes to the quality of piracy. I have a pretty high end home cinema [about 10k worth] because i cant go out to the pub etc so it all gets spent on my home cinema and pc. I realise most people use piracy to watch bad copies and rip studios off, but for me its really really not like that. Allmost every film i have downloaded [i only download them on dvd and not if they have been compressed] i have bought. I have over 400 legit dvds which is more than allot of people, the same goes for music cds. The only film i have downloaded and i will not buy is alien vs predator because it is a complete pile of arse for a film and rips people off. I dont download many movies, but i aint going to be made to feel guilty about the few that i do. When between the 100's of vhs i had and the 100's of dvds i have, i have paid more for films than most people do in a life time. I have watched many interviews with non famous but very good bands, that say people download our tracks cos they cant get the cd in there country, they love it and then they go and buy the album. I agree with that, if you download something and you like it then the least you can do is the buy the original copy. All these people that download these awfull copies of films just cos they want to boast they have, thats annoys me. The first time you watch a film is the most important, why ruin that first time with a bad quality film. I really want to watch the fillm called Ray, and so instead of downloading it like allot of people i bought it on dvd for 25 quid from cdwow. Support the people who make good films, but let hollywood know we are sick of the crap like avp.
    Dont worry no one offended me, how was you meant to know i am disabled and everyone has a right to there own opion.
    Here is a picture of some of my dvds [its about 6 months old. so add another 50/100 dvds to that] http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~stanleh/av4.JPG

15. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I meant to say allot of the films at the cinema you can get on dvd from either the states or japan. I think this is a awesome thing, as this way people who cant go to the cinema at least get to buy the films straight away and see them properly straight away.

16. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I allso agree that the people that sell these pirated dvds should be arrested etc.
    I dont think you can really say just because its against the law its wrong and we shouldnt do it. There are lots and lots of laws we all break daily because we think they are stupid. How many of you when you was younger had a copy of your m8s album on tape, or how many of you have taped things of tv and kept them [i remember not long ago that was illegal too].
    The legality of it bothers me less than the morals of it. I know some one who worked on the latest charlie and the chocolate factory film, and all he does is download films. I dont think he has ever bought a dvd, for me this is wrong and the fact he works in the industry he should know better. If i end up buying a dvd that i wouldnt of normally bought because i downloaded it and seen it was a very good film, how am i ripping off the industry, surely they have a extra 15 quid they wouldnt of had before, because i wouldnt of seen the film. Now i realise most people arent like me and just download or buy pirated copies because they are too cheap etc to pay for a proper one.
    This isnt meant to be a flame or offend anyone, this is just my opion. :suicide:

17. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK, so there are people that are going to do this and there are people that are against it. I can see both points of view, but lets be honest, people dont really need to down load movies in this country. If you cant get to the cinema to watch the latest film then wait a few months and use some of the home delevry rental services. Its not against the law, its not expensive, and again ,just requires a bit of pateints :thumbsup:
    I understand that you are in a difficult postion, but it is still against the law not matter how you look at it( i am sure it did my video shop no favours as well!)

18. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

19. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

SO YOU ARE THE ONE THEN ? ? :rolleyes:

20. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Everyone breaks some laws every day. Be it doing 5 miles a hour more than you are meant to in your car. And no most of the time the dvds i download are near perfect quality and say for two towers it was a dvd given to the people who give the awards for the oscars. I have since bought the extended edition of all 3 films. If you can HONESTLY tell me you have never ever broke a single law then fair enough, but i very much doubt that u can. I dont make money out of downloading the odd dvd infact because i buy 99 percent of the dvds i download it costs me more. The people who sell poor quality copies at the markets are the ones people need to target. Its a bit like mp3 really, if a friend of mine recomends me a cd that i aint heard of before most of the time i wont just go and buy it. But if he sends me a track from the album on mp3 [now i have virtually no mp3's cos i hate the quality] and i like it i will buy the album. The amount of artists i have found because a m8 had a mp3 and sent me it and i got into there stuff and then payed allot to import all there albums from where ever.
    The difference in buying a illegal dvd and downloading them is this
    I dont give money to crime, or to some drug dealing scumbag at the market. And the most important thing all of you seem to be ignoring I BUY ALLMOST ALL OF THE DVDS I DOWNLOAD, and ALLOT of dvds i havent downloaded or seen before. How many of you have 400/500 LEGIT dvds ?
    If anything i give more to the film industry than if i went to the cinema because i buy all these low budget non mainstream films that never get shown at the cinema.
    So before you try and slate me for doing something illegal look at yourselves first.

21. woCooM

woCooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to agrea with stanleh on this

although in most cases i would agrea otherwise but due to the fact he is disabled and he is a nice guy and isent lying when he says he has bought all the films he downloaded.

im not going to justify downloading on a whole but in some situations its ok and this is one of them.

on the mp3 side of things i belive that if artists released a track or maby even some short samples of several tracks free to the public to download from the Official site there sales would probbably increase.

this is one band called Poets of the Fall , who have done this recently
    i.e. http://www.danny.st/potf/ and http://www.poetsofthefall.com/?p=24
    this band released its latest single for free to the net in the hopes of getting more people to buy the album. (worked on me im just waiting for it to come out here)

otherbands like Lustra and Goldfinger have done the same and it works.

so if your gonna flame someone who's disabled because they download films simply because they cant phisicaly go to the cinema you need your head seeing too

flame the guys who do it for no reason Other than to look cool or claim they saw it first but dont take it out on the good honest people who accually buy the films they download.

22. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yeah I admit I've broken speed limits before now, and probably still will do, thing is I'll only do so when fairly sure I'm not gonna put my self or anyone else in danger (i.e NEVER have I sped past schools,hospitals or any other area's where excess speed would cause danger/discomfort to ANYONE)

Any ways, aside from going off topic, the fact still remains that you and anyone else who downloads movies, (for whatever reason, regardless whether they buy the legit versions when released or not), are still breaking copywright laws.
    With regards to your comments of people here giving you a slating :- do you not think you deserve it for your blythe disregard for the same industry that in your first post said, and I quote :- I wish i could explain to the people who make these awesome films how much they effect me and for that short period make me forget how harsh and unfair life can be.

So I gather if you ever had the chance to meet George Lucas, or any other big movie producer, you'll thank them for the film that they spent time/money/thought making it by telling them "OH by the way I downloaded months before you released it on the net".
    Come on, it seems to me that you are the same as most of the people who b uy/download pirate copies, you only want to gloat that " I've SEEN IT BEFORE YOU "
    It's this attitude that gives the industry as a whole a bad name, what with people saying " I'm not gonna pay the rip-off prices for genuine dvd's, I'll buy a cheapo copy and B :censored: KS to the poor quality "
    It costs money to produce and distribute dvd's and it's this is what we are paying for. If the industry is losing money by small minded PIRATES, then one day all we will have is the memory of what a new hollywood movie release was like. :(

Graham.

23. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe if you actually read what i wrote then you wouldnt end up looking like a tit. I BUY with my own cash lots and lots of dvds, i dont download them to boast about what films i have seen. I download them to broaden my film taste, and as i have said many many times i allways buy the dvd when it comes out. So how about u actually try reading what some one posts before you comment on it. I wouldnt say well pld to mr lucas cos i think what he done to the 2 new starwars films are a crime although i bought them on dvd. But some one that directed a film like infernal affairs or gardenstate yes i would say i downloaded your films first because i couldnt get to the cinema or it wasnt at the cinema but then the instant it was out to buy on dvd i bought it. Films are meant to watched for enjoyment or to exspand your mind, after downloading the first infernal affairs i went and bought the 3 films the second they come out on dvd, then they released a 80 pound 8 disk boxset which i allso bought. So if you think i am in any way taking money out of the film industry u need to think again m8. I download the odd film and allmost allways buy the dvd of it afterwords, u dont seem to mind the fact u speed even though it could kill some one. So think before you comment and read the posts properly. Sorry if i sound a little mad i just get very annoyed at people who comment on things they cant even be botherd to read or have no idea about.

24. woCooM

woCooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [woCooM - calling people names will likely result in a temporary ban from the forums]

FEW QUICK POINTS

A: HE NEVER SED HE BOUGHT PIRATE DVD'S
    B: HE HAS BOUGHT ALL BUT ONE OF THE FILMS HE HAD DOWNLOADED
    C: YOUR A MORON
    D: SPEEDING NO MATTER WHERE THE [Please don't try to circumvent the swear filter] IT IS IS STILL SPEEDING FAIR DOOS ITS ILLIGAL BUT I BET YOU'D TRY JUSTIFING IT IF YOU WERE PULLED BY THE FUZZ
    D-i: DOWNLOADING A FILM IS STILL ILLIGAL YES BUT I WOULD PERSONALLY BE MORE LENIANT ON PEOPLE LIKE STANLEH BECAUSE HE IS A NICE GUY AND HE HAS A GENUIN REASON FOR DOWNLOADING THEM AND HE ACCTUALLY BUYS THEM AFTER

25. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    woCooM,
    Regarding your comments, if the police or studios decided to prosicute someone for copywright theft, I personally dont think that a person being disabled would make them say " OH that's ok then,we understand "
    The law they say is blind, no contest.
    Also, not wishing to sound heartless and not knowing the extent of people's disabilities, all public places (cinema's included), are having to accomodate people with disabilities (if they have'nt already).

Again I apologise if I've upset anybody, but I still stand by the fact that theft is theft, regardless of circumstances.
    Also calling me a MORON has really hurt my feelings, bet it made you feel BIG though ?
    Also if I were you I would learn some GRAMMAR before you start shouting abuse.

Graham.

26. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have something called fibro myalgia so getting out of the house is near impossible and can put me in bed for weeks. So going to the cinema is pretty much out of the question.
    Mechanic do u mean to tell me, you have never borrowed a m8s film or copied there cd or even installed one of there games. Cos all of those things are illegal.
    SPeeding is still speeding no matter where you speed, so now who has double standards ?

27. woCooM

woCooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    speeding is speeding no matter the surcumstances so it would seem your no better than people who download music and films!

its a mute point because it cant be justified in a court of law but in light of curcumstances

nor can speeding or any other iligal activity
    even parramedics can be done for speeding with vital organs in transit (it has happened)

in effect your just as bad for speeding and you dont have any real reason to speed where as stanleh has fully justified his actions

regards public places, the act is only just coming into force and i belive that it is not the accessability in the cinema thats the problem but accually getting there

some people cannot drive or even get in a car, i know two people who are confined to there homes less an ambulance comes with a specificly built frame to carry them (seveer back induries)

28. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I can honestly say I have not copied ANY form of media for my own personal use unless I already own the origional first.
    Yeah back in the day I taped some tracks or albums but from records owned by myself.As I understand the law, you are allowed to back up your media,so as to keep the origional safe, NOT rip it off the internet.
    I have copied CD's owned by my self, mostly ripped into MP3, for my own use, not for profit or gain.

29. woCooM

woCooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol you still havent read the posts made by stanleh have you

[Edit: woCooM - Be this unpleasant again and you'll receive a short ban. Sigismund]

30. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I speed because I can, Stanleh pirates movies because he can.

Whats your point ??

Both are illegal agreed, so I must be a worse human being for travelling over the speed limit, but surely the whole point of me starting this post was to get a discussion started about the benefits of simultanious movie releases, NOT putting me or anyone else in the dock for an unrelated "crime".