Not another new cinema room ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Allan,

Really enjoying this thread and photos, keep em coming.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the house as well as the home cinema. It looks and sounds like its going to be a dream home and similar to something i might aspire to when i have a bit of money. :thumbsup:

Apologies for my ignorance if i have missed, it but where is your build located?

Did you design it all yourself?

Good work so far!

Hi Allan,

Really enjoying this thread and photos, keep em coming.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the house as well as the home cinema. It looks and sounds like its going to be a dream home and similar to something i might aspire to when i have a bit of money. :thumbsup:

Apologies for my ignorance if i have missed, it but where is your build located?

Did you design it all yourself?

Good work so far!

Hi I`m lookward to seeing it as well:suicide: (only joking) seriously its comiing on a treat and I`m looking forward to trying all the high tech stuff out if it all works, my son says it must work because we`ve ran all these bloody cables everywhere. It is a bit of a dream to be honest and it took around 6 years to finally purchase a bit of land to do it. We are near wakefield West Yorks which is about 12 miles south of Leeds which is where I think you will have heard of. We knew what we wanted in a fashion but employed my school mate who is an architect to actually put it down on paper. Originally the basement was to be used as parking:thumbsdow but after thinking about it for a nanosecond sold all my cars (joking again) and changed it to my cinema room.:clap:

Anyway thanks for your views and check out later for more pics:smashin:

cheers Allan

Hi everyone

here`s a few more pics for you to look at

showing the building of the brick arch above the main entrance
100_1975.jpg

you can see the arch in detail now
100_1978.jpg

wooden arch former to shape bricks for the final artstone arch (lots of arch words there)
100_1985.jpg

artstone arch nearly in
100_1986.jpg

pointing it up. the middle bit weigh a bloody ton I nearly had heart failure(LOOK AT ME ABOVE)
100_1989.jpg

from a distance (there`s a song there somewhere)
100_1990.jpg

onwards and upwards we had great weather
100_1994.jpg

showing first artstone cill and brick detail
100_1996.jpg

another view showing first floor well on the way
100_1997.jpg

with the floor joists in
100_2001.jpg

borrowed this from a mate it really saved us some graft
100_2009.jpg

rear view showing rear arch window
100_2016.jpg

cavity closers needed for all the openings
100_2022.jpg

waiting for the rear arch linte
100_2025.jpg

and here it is
100_2027.jpg

finally rear view showing completed arch window
100_2035.jpg

the next stage is to do the cut ups following the roof line but I think thats enough for the time being. Please keep inputting your views and advice as its invaluable at times:lease::lease:

seeya Allan

Are you going to make the attic a usable space.

Hi :)

yes we are as you will see in the future pics. there are 2 bedrooms up there (one of them pink for our grand daughter):thumbsdow each measuring 5.5 metres square as near as dammit and a top floor bathroom with the arch window and cathedral "stealth bomber" ceiling as it has been christened. they have all been smart wired for scene lighting with colour changers, networking and multi room A/V.

I`ll post more pics later if I`ve got time but the missus has just shouted me to do some decorating which I absolutley detest. In fact anybody fancy giving us a hand your more than welcome, I can`t put you a film on yet so I`ll just sing to you if thats ok:boring:

seeya later

Allan

PS. who have I seen recently decorating on this thread!!!! someone from donny I think it was who really looked like he was luvvin it. hint hint

PS. who have I seen recently decorating on this thread!!!! someone from donny I think it was who really looked like he was luvvin it. hint hint

Donny you say? Don't know who that can be.:D

Was going to give you a call this week, but I've been a bit preoccupied, not even touched the house since the weekend. Finding it difficult to get motivated, and I've been too busy trying to work out was was taken in the break-in.

Hi everyone

a few more pics of the build for you

roof space being divided into 2 5.5 metre square bedrooms and middle bathroom
100_2038.jpg

another shot from opposite corner showing steel ready to go up
100_2041.jpg

internal walls completed showing padstones and gable wall on its way
100_2043.jpg

the first steel goes up
100_2047.jpg

as you can see no cranes on our job
100_2050.jpg

by this stage our Rob was trembling and I think I passed out
100_2052.jpg

all steels fishplated and bolted together the timber on top is for the roof joists to fasten to
100_2053.jpg

view showing all the roof support steels in place then the bloody wind started if you look carefully the clouds are moving
100_2055.jpg

its a long way up there and further if you fall off
100_2059.jpg

gable wall following the line of roof trusses the brickwork was left low for detailing to be done
100_2061.jpg

front roof detail showing openings for dormers
100_2062.jpg

and rear view velux window openings
100_2063.jpg

rear view showing roof going on
100_2068.jpg

one of the dormers and front gable
100_2077.jpg

front view taking shape
100_2079.jpg

end gable brickwork completed showing the saw tooth detail which goes all around the roofline
100_2086.jpg

gutter brackets in situ
100_2090.jpg

front arch going in
100_2091.jpg

followed by the last brick it took me quite a while to get Val up there but it was now or never
100_2095.jpg

Thats all for now folks, hope your enjoying them and just ask if you want more

cheers Allan

Great thread and a fabulous project you have got going there. Did you design the house yourselves or did you get an architect involved. I'm quite interested in self build projects as well as the AV stuff.

Great thread and a fabulous project you have got going there. Did you design the house yourselves or did you get an architect involved. I'm quite interested in self build projects as well as the AV stuff.

Hi mishmash:hiya:

thanks for the compliments, we knew what we wanted but didn`t know how to put it to paper so I approached my mate who I went to school with and who happens to be an architect and he did it all for me. Believe me it saved a lot of hassle and after minor hiccups went straight through. I would thoroughly recommend doing a self build as the rewards apart from financial are tremendous, the downside is finding the land but if ever we are fortunate to buy another plot I wouldn`t hesitate to start again.:smashin:

Anyway once again thanks and I`ll keep em coming

cheers Allan

albriscoe I do think you did the right thing in getting a architect in with your input, and by the looks of things you are going to have a superb property.

My father is a builder and my brother works as a quantity surveyor who has done his own self build and I have seen first hand just what can be achieved by building your own house. I work in I.T. and have no knowledge apart from my family contacts on self builds but am keen to do a self build project in the next few years. Luckily the other half has some land, albeit in a semi green belt area but we are going to put in plans in to see if we can do a build. One of the essential rooms would be a dedicated cinema room.

Keep up the great work.

Looking good Allan, its really flying up isn't it. Seems just last week you had a big hole and not much else. ;)

I would thoroughly recommend doing a self build as the rewards apart from financial are tremendous, the downside is finding the land but if ever we are fortunate to buy another plot I wouldn`t hesitate to start again.:smashin:

I'd second that. Its been a steep learning curve at times, but other than the recent hassles I've really enjoyed my build. And you get that warm fuzzy feeling from seeing it all come together.:D

I'd love to do another one, but that's a long term plan 10 or more years away. My main incentive was financial, but I had wanted to build my own home since I was at school.

My Mum's following your thread too, and loves your stonework. :)

Please keep the pic's coming, can't wait for the next installment.:smashin:

Looking good Allan, its really flying up isn't it. Seems just last week you had a big hole and not much else. ;)

I'd second that. Its been a steep learning curve at times, but other than the recent hassles I've really enjoyed my build. And you get that warm fuzzy feeling from seeing it all come together.:D

I'd love to do another one, but that's a long term plan 10 or more years away. My main incentive was financial, but I had wanted to build my own home since I was at school.

My Mum's following your thread too, and loves your stonework. :)

Please keep the pic's coming, can't wait for the next installment.:smashin:

Hi Ian:hiya:

whats your mum like at emulsioning:lease:, tell her thank you and I hope she keeps following the thread. I have had this "thing" about building are own place for ages but it took 6 years to find the land and it was as the crow flies about 400 yds from where we have lived for the last 21 years. Which is a bit daft as we`ve looked everywhere.

I see what you mean about only having a big hole last week and a shell with roof this week but I needed to get the roof on quick due to all this bloody:oops: sorry mum, rain we`ve had:)

There`s a few things I`d do different on the next build but I`ll save that for the next thread.

more to follow:smashin:

Allan

PS. you might have gathered I`m a bit drunk but my spellings gud

Hi Ian:hiya:

whats your mum like at emulsioning:lease:,

She really good, but unfortunately someone else has already engaged her services for the foreseeable future.:devil:

It has been a bit wet hasn't it, we've had a few of the villages around here cut off, but we managed to escape the worst of it, and unfortunately the flooding on my way to work was passable with care.

I've got a few things I'd do differently too, but nothing that I regret doing the way I have (if that makes sense - yes I've had a few too:D).

Great thread Allan, I have been following this one closely and your build looks amazing and reading through the thread i think you have inspired a few people, myself included.

I know you said earlier in the thread that your build was costing around 130k, without being nosey may i ask what the completed article will end up costing as i would love to find a piece of land and go and see my bank manager :eek:.

paul

wow! thoroughly enjoyed reading through that and i look forward to the finished product :thumbsup:

with house prices they way they are, its no wonder more and more people are doing self-builds and with good reason too - looks fab :smashin:

wow! thoroughly enjoyed reading through that and i look forward to the finished product :thumbsup:

with house prices they way they are, its no wonder more and more people are doing self-builds and with good reason too - looks fab :smashin:

Thanks a lot ja5on:)

its nice to read comments like yours it just puts the icing on the cake if you know what I mean

cheers Allan :smashin:

:clap:
Great thread Allan, I have been following this one closely and your build looks amazing and reading through the thread i think you have inspired a few people, myself included.

I know you said earlier in the thread that your build was costing around 130k, without being nosey may i ask what the completed article will end up costing as i would love to find a piece of land and go and see my bank manager :eek:.

paul

Hi Paul

I really do appreciate all the readers comments good or bad and can`t thank you all enough for the so far good comments including yours of course. To inspired others was not one of my priorities but it makes me feel proud that we have done so.
We purchased the land in 2005 at a cost of £81,000 which I think was enough to pay as its not a massive piece but obviously big enough to build on. I might add that it is planned that when we move into the house and the caravan has gone we are building a 5 x 4.5 mtr sunroom at the far end. This will have a flat roof and we have fitted double doors out of our bedroom so we can gain access to our sun terrace,for the G&T`s:smashin: thats if its ever sunny again for more than 10 mins. This of course will be photographed and duly posted on this thread when it all happens.
There has not been a set budget on this project or time limit but I am thinking around £170 should not be far away making a total of around £250k ish. We have had an estimated value on completion of between £450k to £475k depending on internal fixtures and fittings so should be on profit if you know what I mean.
It was our intention to live here which we will do if only to enjoy some of the high tech stuff which has been built into the house and of course the cinema room, but quite frankly would sell it after a few years if the money was on the table and another piece of land became available as we have enjoyed it so far.
I have realised that you have to think like a property developer does to be able to compete on land price and whereas I was looking to build one house for ourselves a builder would expect to put 2 or 3 houses on the same plot so would always beat the one man band when it came to bidding. What I mean is maybe the next build might have to be 2 or 3 houses or as everyone else seems to be doing dozens of apartments but I don`t want to be building for the rest of my life even if the financial rewards are good, I simply want to be able to enjoy what time I might have left so this build is also my pension.
Having said all that it would be a great shame not to use all the list of invaluable contacts I have made throughout the build, such as suppliers and you know plasters plumbers joiners who all seem to appreciate the house as much as us and really seem to want to do us a top job.
I will end Paul by saying I would recommend doing a self build to anyone, I would offer any help I could to try to make the journey go smoothly as its not all plain sailing trust me.

cheers and I`ll do a bit more posting of pics later:clap:

Allan

PS.(there`s always a ps in my replies) what are you like at emulsioning as minholics mum hasn`t come forward yet:)

thanks for the detailed reply allan, its something we are considering very closely now. I am an electrician by trade, my uncle is a plumber/heating engineer, my 2 cousins are roofers and my best mate is a joiner/builder so i think it might be in our favour. As i have always said its not what you know but who. I will definately give you a shout for any tips if thats ok.

paul

thanks for the detailed reply allan, its something we are considering very closely now. I am an electrician by trade, my uncle is a plumber/heating engineer, my 2 cousins are roofers and my best mate is a joiner/builder so i think it might be in our favour. As i have always said its not what you know but who. I will definately give you a shout for any tips if thats ok.

paul

Hi Paul

Its seems your in a very fortunate position mate so grab it.
I`m a sparky as well by trade but my son Gary has done all the wiring as he`s into it a lot more than me. Rob my other son has built the shell and between them all there mates are roofers / joiners/ plumbers. I sourced my own plasterer who I finished as he was crap and employed another one who I would recommend to anyone as he`s excellent. I would ask you to be carefull of the tradesmen working on day rate as whatever they say it will take to the seems to be half as much again. I personally like to know exactly what its going to cost before committing myself to any work being started and I would hasten to add that you do the same as labour costs will spiral I promise you:eek: .

Cheers Allan

She really good, but unfortunately someone else has already engaged her services for the foreseeable future.:devil:

It has been a bit wet hasn't it, we've had a few of the villages around here cut off, but we managed to escape the worst of it, and unfortunately the flooding on my way to work was passable with care.

I've got a few things I'd do differently too, but nothing that I regret doing the way I have (if that makes sense - yes I've had a few too:D).

Not to worry I`ll just keep pestering everyone else regarding the decorating

cheers Allan:thumbsup:

Hi everyone

as promised more pics regarding the build

this is a view from the front elevation showing completed gable with arch window, this is the stealth bomber bathroom window
100_2096.jpg

ground floor studwork forming the cloakrooom
100_2108.jpg

doorway from kitchen into hall and boiler room
100_2109.jpg

roof detail in one of the top floor bedrooms
100_2112.jpg

this is the stealth bomber roofline just showing the arch
100_2113.jpg

wall plate straps and showing lats for underfloor heating pipe spacing
100_2115.jpg

this is the basement floor insulation prior to fitting the heating pipe
100_2118.jpg

start of the roof using glendyne slate from Canada which is the same vein as welsh slate but half the price
100_2119.jpg

lead flashing the first dormer
100_2120.jpg

ricky the roofer was like a cat fearless
100_2122.jpg

another view showing ricky the cat
100_2126.jpg

bedroom velux fitted and roof insulation, this was a b:censored:d to do
100_2129.jpg

dormer window fitted
100_2130.jpg

first fix top floor wiring
100_2139.jpg

top floor heating manifold and start of running pipe 1600 mtres in total
100_2142.jpg

top floor bedroom pipe work completed
100_2148.jpg

then laying the screed over the pipe for more even heat distribution
100_2152.jpg

laying the basement floor pipe over insulation
100_2156.jpg

I need to put more pics onto photobucket as I`ve ran out so I`ll do that now, hope these are ok for you for the time being.

cheers Allan:)

holy crap that is gonna be sweet!!! got any room for me, my wife and 2 kids and 2 dogs?

cant wait to see the end result

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom