Not another new cinema room ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

albriscoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

this is my first posting in this section so please bear with me, I think I`m ok to post here. I am building my house with a dedicated cinema room in the basement which measures approx 5.5mts square (cinema room) I have been fortunate enough to purchase a sim2 grand theatre E300 link projector and I would like to purchase a screen and all the other bits n bobs so any advice is welcome.
I am a complete novice but not an idiot (I think) and would really appreciate any offers of help and advice as its a minefield out there. My only experience is with a borrowed owl screen which was brand new in its box and had bad edge curl (is this normal with owl) so taken back straight away hence should I go tabbed or not.
I might add that the newly plastered walls are superb so maybe a painted or fixed screen is a possibility but the wow factor isn`t really there or is it. Also someone has said that my sim2 needs a good screen to compliment it but which one??? and do I need a 16.9 screen

I don`t have a massive budget as the house build is really gulping it all up but could maybe stretch to a grand for a screen and possibly up to ten grand for the rest of the audio hardware if pushed a lot less would be better but I don`t want to compromise the sim2

I have also fully automated the whole house with multi room audio/video and networked everywhere, The house has I-Light dimming racks fitted to control every room with scene lighting so hopefully should be good.(they ought to be for 9 grand)

Sorry for going on a bit but I really could do with some good old fashioned honest advice

many thanks

Allan

PS. this link is to a few pics and also a lot more to follow if requested

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/allanbriscoe/HouseBuildCinema/photo#5071519630967167794

PPS. I`ve posted a similar thread in the projector screens forum but as I`m still building thought I ought to put it here so sorry if its wrong but looking at some of the others cinema room pics I just can`t wait whilst mine is done.:)

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the forums. That looks like a really impressive project you have there. I'm on the final stages of a selfbuild myself, but on a much smaller scale to yours. After the hassles I have had, I would hate to think what your project has been like, that basement looks like it will fantastic though. I'd love to see some pictures of the rest of the house (you can click the link in my sig to see mine).

I am going for a dedicated room - well, its a bedroom with a sofabed just in case - and will be having a fixed screen on the wall. I decided to go this route, as I've never been happy with the ripples that always seem to occur on pull down screens.

I haven't purchased my screen yet, but I am looking at a US company called Carada who are well regarded on the forums. Their frames are made from extruded aluminium which is wrapped in a velvet like material to soak up any overspill of light. The aluminium frame means that the screen material can be held in tension creating a flat surface. There are a number of firms that make similar screens, names that come to mind are Beamax and Stewart.

As for the audio side, do you have anything in mind? Do you have any existing equipment you would be using in the new room? For £10k you shouldn't have any problem kitting your room out to a good standard, but remember to allow for cabling too.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to keep us up to date with progress.:thumbsup:

going to keep an eye on this one,looks like its gonna be one hell of a set up

As said above, if you have a dedicated room I would personally go for fixed screen rather than an electric one. If you want the 'wow' factor you could always incorporate electric curtains, theres a relatively cheap mod on here to make electric curtains.

To post photo's in the thread you need to have them hosted online, either online or through an image hosting site (I use photobucket, if I remeber correctly you had some on picassa?). Then its simply a case of copying the web address of the image you want to insert, and including this in your reply.

There is a button in the reply to thread screen that allows you to embed the image (this one
insertimage.gif
). just click on the button, and paste the image address and click ok, job done.

Another one I will be keeping an eye on...

Seems to be the trend at the minute, actually building from scratch and the good thing is that you can have your stamp on it all the way thru to completion.

I know I only did an extension build to the existing house, but I know the some of the trials you're going to go thru...but you need to keep your eyes on the prize. Keep that image in your head and you'll get there!!

At least you won't have some gaping big holes in the side of your house in the middle of winter, where the builders have knocked thru...it's a straight build! Well impressed with the cellar idea too!!

Hi Les E

Your right about the trials and tribulations, I really had just no idea about doing a full build having done an extension on our last house about 15 yrs ago but once started there`s no going back and so just have to dream the dream and battle on. Also having sold the house to finance this project we`ve no where to live but finding life in the caravan really does suit us and we`ve no date for completion which takes a lot of pressure off. It will be done when its done.

Anyway a few more pics for you all to take a look at if you want

wall completed to height needed to protect us from the elements and all the waifes n straifes
100_6.jpg

caravan installed on site this was 9 December 2005
100_1829.jpg

this was the start of the excavation on 10th may 2006
100_1832.jpg

this stage took around 3 hours
100_1834.jpg

nearly done and the kids thought it was a swimming pool
100_1836.jpg

what the bloody hell have we done 700 tons later and finished the next day at lunch time taking about 11 hours to dig out
100_1839.jpg

More to follow;

:eek: :eek: :eek: wow:eek:

Hi all and thanks for the WOW john59. here`s a few more pics for you all to peruse over.

concrete poured for strip footing
100_1842.jpg

land drain in behind outer wall which is going up fast
100_1848.jpg

outer skin completed ready for tanking
100_1852.jpg

priming walls before applying tanking
100_1854.jpg

all tanked up
100_1857.jpg

Val sealing round the top of the starter bars after epoxying 200 round the perimeter
100_1862.jpg

sand screed to prevent puncture of visqueen membrane
100_1866.jpg

membrane down along with steel mesh before pouring the slab
100_1868.jpg

15.7 cubic metres later and I`ve got my cinema room floor
100_1870.jpg

a block or 2 to help us on the way
100_1882.jpg

finished basement showing cinema room far end and games room which now houses a competition pool table. the middle bit is the staircase opening and opposite that will be the AV room
100_1899.jpg

floor joists and block and beam joists over cinema. these will form the garage floor
100_1918.jpg

the first brick hooorrraaayyy only 25999 to go
100_1926.jpg

there`s more to follow if you want em!

PS.on a more to do with what I`m doing it all for note, looking at all your home cinema rooms a lot seem to have gone for a fixed screen which I am sure is the path I will go down. Some idea`s on that and what to spend my budget on the amp/speaker dvd player route would be welcome.
PPS. I have in fact cut out the cinema room walls for 7.1 monitor audio CP gold in wall speakers, does anyone have any experience of these or preference to others, if so I`d love to hear your views.

cheers all

Allan

Goodness me. What an amazing project. Please continue to post photos.

Even my wife is interested !

Ben.

:eek::eek: ANOTHER WOW:eek::eek:, Fantastic photo journal there, keep em coming thick and fast, If you dont mind me asking, whats the costing for this project, (pm me or tell me to mind my own buisness if you wish:laugh:)

:eek::eek: ANOTHER WOW:eek::eek:, Fantastic photo journal there, keep em coming thick and fast, If you dont mind me asking, whats the costing for this project, (pm me or tell me to mind my own buisness if you wish:laugh:)

Hi john

no problem with you asking, so far the build has cost around £130k. the pics will come thick and fast I promise. At the stage up to laying the first brick I think I had spent around £12k so when you think about after deducting £4k to get the dig done leaves £8k for a cinema and games room. Must dash as we are off to one of grand daughters 4th birthday party but will post more pics later. Anyone else wanting to know owt please ask.

cheers all

Allan

great pics
keep them coming

how long until finish?

Hi bluedoo

how longs a piece or string, we`ve been at it (he hem building I mean) for 13 months now but only taking it at our own pace. Mainly because we`re in our 50`s and like to have days off and holidays as well, but the main thing is that we have bought a decent caravan to live in on site so we are very comfortable which certainly takes a lot of the pressure off us believe me.. We were going to rent a place but soon realised thats its dead money which is better spent on other things,(like more holidays).
Also its quite a big place as you will soon see from the photo`s over 4 floors with each one being 78 square metres in floor area.
So far there are 1600 metres of underfloor heating pipe fitted, I went for a 16mm dual layer plastic pipe with an aluminium core between and 11 miles of god knows what cables and wires, the`re bloody everywhere and for all the i-light system and network and alarm and heating and security and multi room a/v and a whole lot more what I just can`t think of. Recently we bought 200 down lights which isn`t nowhere near enough yet to finished the house apart from led`s and what have you in other areas. The first fix plumbing took about 4 weeks to do all 4 bathrooms and ground floor cloakroom and looks like spagetti junction gone beserk but its all part n parcel of doing your selfbuild. I remember when a great big wagon came full of kingspan and when he pulled the curtain side back I nearly fainted when he said "its all yours mate".

Anyway I`m waffling on a bit now so I`ll shut up and try to post more pics later.

cheers Allan

As promised more pics, if you get fed up just say and I`ll stop posting them

end elevation showing double door from kitchen into the sun room

100_1939.jpg

front elevation showing front kitchen window

100_1941.jpg

front elevation in its full length

100_1945.jpg

showing internal walls, the door opening in the near wall is from garage into hallway

100_1950.jpg

trying to show rear elevation distance from one end to the other

100_1951.jpg

ground floor window lintel and front door opening

100_1956.jpg

view from kitchen into the hallway showing the staircase opening down into the basement

100_1957.jpg

view the other way

100_1959.jpg

hallway into the garage showing double doors above standard height to get my discovery in

100_1961.jpg

first floor joists showing staircase opening and start of the 3 metre high window in the back of the staircase

100_1968.jpg

steelwork carrying floor joists over the hallway/kitchen opening

100_1969.jpg

me showing a stupid face and I can`t remember why, must have been the heat

100_1971.jpg

thats it for now but please let me know if they are not suitable for this thread and I`ll stop them

cheers everyone

Allan

Allan,

Firstly congratulations on this, what a fantastic project. Keep the pictures comings.

Well Done

:D

Glad to see you got the photo's up Allan, keep them coming.:smashin: This is one of my favourite threads.:)

Looks like I might have to be a little more adventurous with my next build though, my whole floorspace (excluding the attic) is less than one of your floors.:eek:

Hi Ian

you know what they say mate its not the size that matters its the quality and your build certainly has that. Anyway glad you like what you`ve seen so far and I`ll post more pics later for you all to see.
Also what are your other favourite threads as I`ve got loads its just finding the time to read them all. If your ever in the area your more than welcome to come and have a look round for about 8 hrs or so, dinner breaks at 12.30 and we provide the tea and hard hats:smashin:

cheers

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom