Not another new cinema room ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballyg

I have to admit..I am in LOVE with what you are doing, the way you have done it and the support that you have received not only from the thread followers but your family and friends in this project. :)
You should do a website showing the developments, ideas and maybe templates showing us mere mortals of the ins and outs of your build.

Keep the pics coming :D

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
I have to admit..I am in LOVE with what you are doing, the way you have done it and the support that you have received not only from the thread followers but your family and friends in this project. :)
You should do a website showing the developments, ideas and maybe templates showing us mere mortals of the ins and outs of your build.

Keep the pics coming :D
Hi ballyg :hiya:

what can I say apart from a very big thankyou to you and to everyone else not only for the comments I have recieved but also for the support from everyone involved and I mean everyone. As I have said earlier in the thread its the little things that count and make the build that bit more easier.

I have bitten the bullett and yesterday actually bought 100 lts of matt emulsion so it looks like we will be starting the decorating ourselves as offers from others have been a bit sparce if you know I mean.

Anyway thanks a lot once again and I`ll try and post more pics later

Allan

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Allan,

Fair play, hats off to you mate! This is a great thread! Sure, theres no cinema room in sight (yet), but the build is so fascinating, starting with the first picture (***!!! Thought you were having a laugh) right through the stages of development! Its really great, you should be proud!

Cant wait to see if all finished, and as for the cinema room!!! Man, when that thing gets underway, then theres a time to get excited!!

Keep up the good work pal, you're an inspiration to all us wannabes (even us living in small flats!) :smashin:

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Allan,

Fair play, hats off to you mate! This is a great thread! Sure, theres no cinema room in sight (yet), but the build is so fascinating, starting with the first picture (***!!! Thought you were having a laugh) right through the stages of development! Its really great, you should be proud!

Cant wait to see if all finished, and as for the cinema room!!! Man, when that thing gets underway, then theres a time to get excited!!

Keep up the good work pal, you're an inspiration to all us wannabes (even us living in small flats!) :smashin:
Hi CP :)

Thanks for all your praise mate its really needed and appreciated believe me, I keep promising to most more pics so here goes.

cheers Allan :smashin:

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Some more pics lads n lasses

the basement pipes go up the wall into the boiler room manifold

then when they are laid just get Stan in

to do the screeding, notice sponge barrier around perimeter to stop heat travel up the walls

laying chipboard over the screed in the bedrooms

completed top floor and heating manifold

A shot of the completed shell after a bit of a tidy up

the cinema room is a joiners workshop at the moment

which is used to make all nine staircase sections

front entrance ready for the door and side lights

door first

then the other bits

one of the top floor bedrooms showing velux please note this is not my colour choice its for one of our grand daughters so I hope this doesn`t stop you all following the thread

opposite view showing plasma wall

Mick the joiner hiding behind the staircase section

the first tiles go in the stealth bathroom (top one for all those who missed it earlier)

a few more

bath installed

and shower base

arch window with mosaic tiling round

and finally nearly all done it took 28 mts and 8 for the floor

thats it that all 20 we are allowed to post so please peruse slowly while I sort some more out

Also you can all start to think what equipment I can put in the cinema remembering that I already have the Sim2 E Link HT 300 PJ

cheers for now Allan

john59

Novice Member
Realy interesting stuff, I visit a site called Trusted tradesmen, and they would love to see sumat like this

elootos

This seems to be the very definition of DIY.

Am I allowed to make a bet that within 6 months of moving in and watching half your movie collection you'll be bored with nothing to do and want to move again? :devil:

I've spent a year sorting just sorting out my little ol' lounge and I sat there the other night and couldn't even be arsed to drop my projector screen. :boring:

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
This seems to be the very definition of DIY.

Am I allowed to make a bet that within 6 months of moving in and watching half your movie collection you'll be bored with nothing to do and want to move again? :devil:

I've spent a year sorting just sorting out my little ol' lounge and I sat there the other night and couldn't even be arsed to drop my projector screen. :boring:
I know what you mean, I think there`s at least another 6 months work here until it all done maybe even more as its not a rush job. What I`ll do then is anyones guess but I know we will definatley stay here for at least a year due to capitol gains tax. I`m not bad at twiddling my thumbs and going on holiday so till then I`ll just soldier on and get on with it and look forward to my first film.

cheers Allan :thumbsup:

Miniholic

Hi Allan, looks good but I'm not sure about that pink.:D

How are you faring with the weather this week? I've not seen much mention of West Yorks on the news.

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Hi Allan, looks good but I'm not sure about that pink.:D

How are you faring with the weather this week? I've not seen much mention of West Yorks on the news.

Hi Ian

I`m with you mate regarding the pink it bloody horrible, as regards the weather its been atrocious as you know and I think quite a lot of west yorks has really copped it, but we have faired well. we are at the moment digging a sump with a sub pump on the outside of the base just as a back up. I hope we never need it but with a basement full of cine goodies and competion pool table (hopefully next to the bar)I`m not taking any chances.

How have you stood up to the weather?

Cheers for now mate

Allan

Miniholic

My village has escaped the worst of it, there has been flooding on the other side from me, but people have already been evacuated and the roads closed so we don't really know the extent.

My choice of routes to work has been decimated. Its been taking me up to two hours for what can be a 20 minute journey, but I'll be happy if thats the worst I suffer from all this, some people have done realy badly as you'll have seen from the news. I've also discovered that my Peugeot can swim.:rolleyes:

Working where I do I'm privvy to a lot more information as it happens, and its pretty frightening how much has gone off in such a short timeframe. We thought at one point we were going to be on sandbag duty today, and I'm office based!

Its so strange seeing all this for real though, its one of those things that you see elsewhere and don't think it will happen to you.

Anyway, I'm dragging your thread off topic, so keep up the good work.:smashin:

(Mum says what's wrong with the pink?)

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Hi Ian :smashin:

Glad to hear alls well regarding the flooding and what have you. Some have had it really bad and I sympathise with them all.

Tell your mum that pink is lovely in someone elses house but doesn`t really go with my hair:).

I`ve been digging the sump all day but have hit rock about 9 foot down so going for a hydraulic picker for the 3 tonner tomorrow, should be done for saturday then just to put the concrete liners in and a submersible pump then thats another job out of the way. Here`s a photo of the sump being dug out

hopefully that should take care of any water penetrating the basement.

cheers for now mate:thumbsup: Allan

mark.carline

Novice Member
....and a submersible pump then thats another job out of the way. Here`s a photo of the sump being dug out.....hopefully that should take care of any water penetrating the basement.
I just wondered if you where planning on doing this anyway and if your going to leave this in place. I allways wondered with basements how you get a true seal to prevent damp etc from getting in.

p.s. I am very very impressed with this - Just makes me want to do a self build but just dont have the time / money !

Lufer

Novice Member
Hi Allan,

Just really picked up on this thread and read through it over the last couple of days. You and your team have done a terrific job. You've a good bunch of guys working on this who obvioulsy take pride in what they are doing. Its a great job all round. Well done to all.

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
I just wondered if you where planning on doing this anyway and if your going to leave this in place. I allways wondered with basements how you get a true seal to prevent damp etc from getting in.

p.s. I am very very impressed with this - Just makes me want to do a self build but just dont have the time / money !

Hi Mark:hiya:

yes the sump and pump was always going to be there as its shown on the structural engineers drawing for the basement design but the sudden onslaught of rain has simply made us do it now rather than when we built the sunroom after we had moved in.
This picture shows the land drain we put in when we excavated for the basement

this is the drain which goes fully around the perimeter

then the whole of the inside of the outer wall is tanked with bituthene to stop damp penetration. There are other alternatives to bituthene but when I looked into it some of them allowed the ingress of water to penetrate the basement then pumped it out from an internal sump which was fed from an internal trough running all way round, I didn`t think running water round the cinema room was a good idea. Apart from that I paid the engineer to work that out and I had to follow his design to the letter anyway or he wouldn`t have approved the construction.

this is the drain tee which I dug down too yesterday, note the slots which were cut using stihl saw every 400mm all the way round, this is to allow any surface water which might occur due to rain or what have you to soak through the ground naturally and into the pea gravel which completely surrounds the drain. The slots are only half way through the drain pipe so the bottom half becomes a channel for the water to flow out of the tee. it took me ages to cut them but it had to be done and as the photo shows it works because when I uncovered the tee water gushed out

this will go into the sump which is made up of 600 x 450mm concrete liners. The sump will be around 900mm below the drain (photo`s to follow) and the liners will form a shaft which will come to the surface and topped with a steel drain cover. A float operated pump is then lowered into the sump and any water will go into the surface drainage system. The cover can either be covered with the pathway material whatever you use or simply left at the level height of the pathway. As this is behind the house right next to the proposed sun room it will never really be seen so is not a problem as such.

I will also encorporate a second float in the sump which will send a signal either light or buzzer into the house so if the pump fails I will know because of high water in the sump

As to doing a self build the rewards are far greater than simply purchasing your home ready built, I know obviously that its not everyones cup of tea because of land purchase and living in a caravan or wherever (INLAWS AARRGH) but I really would recommend it.

Cheers Mark and don`t hesitate to ask any more questions:thumbsup:

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Hi Allan,

Just really picked up on this thread and read through it over the last couple of days. You and your team have done a terrific job. You've a good bunch of guys working on this who obvioulsy take pride in what they are doing. Its a great job all round. Well done to all.
Hi lufer:hiya:

All the building of the shell was done by my eldest son robert who has just become a member of the federation of master builders at the age of 32. My other son gary is the brains behind the wiring of everything in the house including the cinema room and all the multi room av, in fact everything. He won`t allow anyone else near infact and simply tells me what to order. The first fix electrical install has so far topped 20 grand so I hope it all works, he keeps saying it will as due to the amount or wires he has run its forced to.

So far over 11 miles of different kinds of cables has been run simply everywhere and heres a few in the AV room

As you can see there`s quite a few

Anyway thanks for your praise and I hope you follow the thread, there`s a load more photo`s to come and loads which I haven`t taken yet so you`ll have to be patient over the coming months.

cheers and by for now

Allan

Lufer

Novice Member
Its certainly all very impressive and obviously well planned as well as being well executed!

It is amazing how much cabling you have to put in to a place. We extended our house a couple of years ago (from 1200 sq ft to 3000!) and I now wish I had specified a full control system. I did put all the AV stuff around for multi room set up etc. but did not go the full hog with the lighting side. Ah well, next time!

I notice the travertine natural limestone and mosaics are very, very similar to those we used in our wet room! You must have good taste young man ;)

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Its certainly all very impressive and obviously well planned as well as being well executed!

It is amazing how much cabling you have to put in to a place. We extended our house a couple of years ago (from 1200 sq ft to 3000!) and I now wish I had specified a full control system. I did put all the AV stuff around for multi room set up etc. but did not go the full hog with the lighting side. Ah well, next time!

I notice the travertine natural limestone and mosaics are very, very similar to those we used in our wet room! You must have good taste young man ;)
I`ve never been so insulted in my life:D, young man indeed, I`m nearly 54 and feel 94:D

Only joking, yes we like the travertine as well in fact in our master en-suite we have gone the whole hog and had 600mmx400mm tiles everywhere including the floor and it looks really good. A bit expensive but the results are worth it. We didn`t have a staircase when they arrived and believe me when you have a full crate of tiles to get up a ladder you know about it afterwards

The lighting system is by i-light http://www.ilight.co.uk/ and hopefully will be as good as it looks. My son has fitted in the past and rates it as being the best system there is particulary with new builds, he has worked with other systems including lutron and rako but these seem to be more retro fit systems. It integrates with virtually everything in the house which is network controllable so I`m really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Do you think there will be a next time then?:devil:

cheers Allan

Lufer

Novice Member
Never say never! We are keeping our eyes open for the right property / plot. Location is everything for the next move as we would hope it to be the final one before retirement :D

Having done what we did to the present house we know now that we will not find a house we are able to move in to therefore it must have the potential to be massively re-built or we'll find something suitable to knock down. It may well take us a year or two though as we have already been looking since last September to no avail!

I know what you mean about the staircase! We had an oak one made so we did not want to install it until the last possible moment hence everything had to be humped up ladders!

I think all these control systems have moved on a great deal in the last couple of years and will continue to do so. I'll certainly be watching that space with interest.

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Never say never! We are keeping our eyes open for the right property / plot. Location is everything for the next move as we would hope it to be the final one before retirement :D

Having done what we did to the present house we know now that we will not find a house we are able to move in to therefore it must have the potential to be massively re-built or we'll find something suitable to knock down. It may well take us a year or two though as we have already been looking since last September to no avail!

I know what you mean about the staircase! We had an oak one made so we did not want to install it until the last possible moment hence everything had to be humped up ladders!

I think all these control systems have moved on a great deal in the last couple of years and will continue to do so. I'll certainly be watching that space with interest.
Sounds like quite a nice place you must have there, any chance of a photo or 2 :lease:

Lufer

Novice Member
I've a couple in the thread 'Lufer's Boys Room' but I'll try and take a few more that may be of interest. Don't want to hi-jack your thread! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett