1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Another Denon 2900 Thread!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dynamic turtle, Jan 19, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Chaps,

Gonna pick one of these up from a dealer tomorrow. I know, I know - it's got more bugs than antique rug, but I just couldn't resist it at the price ( I'm buying locally because it'll no doubt have to be returned 3 times before it works properly ;) )

The 565 is an unbelievably good player and has served me very well, but the RGB flicker problem has finally got the better of me. It makes films unwatchable (at least it plays the discs, I hear you say :rolleyes: ) and has become a major distraction.

More importantly, I want to see what it can do with SACD, DVDA & CD. I'm not expecting it to out-perform the 565 by miles, but if it does I'll be surprised & happy!

I did consider getting the 565 modded instead, but discovered that the flicker problem could not be cured using these methods.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the cd/sacd/dvda performance of this deck.

DT

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    DT nice player was very close to getting one myself, but ended up with the Toshiba instead. Audio wise the 2900 is meant to be the king of the hill, compared to the latest gen. of Denon players. Ie proper DSD decoding, rather than from PCM.

Tell me are you buying it from Moorgate Audio ? £425 - Black MR etc FYI. with warranty.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.moorgate.demon.co.uk/forsale.htm :

Denon DVD-2900 Brand New sealed box in black £425 - best price on the Net
    Half price for this superb universal silver disc players on the market with a retail price of £850. The AV forums have always raved about this product and at half price its a real steal. Plays DVD, CD, CD-R, SACD, DVD-A and does so with some skill. This is a well made extremely solid product (8.1 kilos) and performance is exemplary. We'll also gladly make it multi-region (although we have to open the box to do this of course) free of charge. For anyone wanting a high performance DVD player that will also do a decent job of CD's and other formats; YOU CAN'T GO WRONG.

Anyway I hope your getting yours cheaper than this dude : I thought the black fascia with a DAC 20 would be quite nice myself.

http://www.moorgate.demon.co.uk/graphics/denondv2900.jpg

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Of course it will be in black :cool:

I'm not buying it from Moorgate, but thanks for pointing it out. I've bought from them before (DAC20 actually) and rate them highly. Their prices are very realistic. The £725 Meridian 500 DAC & transport is a bargain IMO.

I've managed to convince my local dealer to price-match another authorised dealer at £400 (black - MR), so I am getting a very sweet deal (Then again, knowing my luck, it'll probably be a lemon :suicide: )!

No doubt they'll be £250 in six months' time :(

DT

5. TheSmisker

TheSmisker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lads, I have just bought a Denon 2900 and it just refuses some of my cd's...
    Some it wont play but after turning it off and back on again -> fine! Sailing to Philadelphia by Mark Knopfler it just flat refuses to play no matter what I do...
    Only cd's, havent had any difficulties with DvD just yet. Seems like you guys have read up on the unit, what could it be?
    Does anyone have the 43f firmware?

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, mine hasn't had any problems recognising discs, but I've only tried about 20 on it so far, so early days. Time will tell.

Actually, I played a cracked dvd (1 inch crack from spindle hole) and it read it!!

As for sonic performance, I haven't really had time to give it a fair comparison. But I will report my findings (not that anyone will care!) in a month or two.

I am going to post a problem about the RGB Scart output in the DVD forum though....

7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You sure none of your CD's are copyprotected?
    Or don't have the CD logo on them.
    If not they don't conform to the standard set down for CD's by Phillips and are therefore not CDs.
    In some cases the copyprotection on discs is so heavy the producers have had to rerelease the album as a normal CD.
    You may find that these discs play OK one day but not the nest. Or only some tracks play etc

8. TheSmisker

TheSmisker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Sailing to Philadelphia with M. Knopfler...
    Any clues?

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Mine plays CDs Ok, but has sound drop outs on virtualy every DVD :mad: TBH Its still in warranty and Im wondering about returning it for a full refund and buying an Arcam or Naim

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, so far its played avery type of disc I've thrown at it without a problem, including sacd, dvda & cdr.

I've also discovered that the RGB Scart problem is not a fault specific to my machine. Its due to "voltage mismatch" with my Sony Wega (also affects panasonic TV's badly). This is caused by the 2900 having RGB voltage levels "out of spec".

God knows why two of the largest AV manufacturers in Japan can't stick to the spec sheet!

The input voltages can be altered in the Sony's service menu, which should rectify the problem, but I'll be damned if I'm going to attempt it!

Apparently, this only occurs with RGB. Component & s-video work fine..

As for audio performance, I still haven't given a proper going-over with CD's because the SACD performance is so damn good (really happy, as this was the main reason for buying the 2900). L

Listening to SACD every chance I get. Really is a step-up from the Pio with this format.

DT