1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not another 32ZP18 question!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by orange, May 6, 2002.

1. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had me set changed. Old set was a 32ZP18P (B) and the new one is a 32ZP18Q (G). So the new set is designed for Europe use not the UK.

The issue I have is on the old set when I pressed the number 1 key to change channels it would operate in single number mode and switch straight away.

However, the new set is always in double digit mode, therefore when you press the number 1 it comes up on screen like this "1-" waiting for you to type the second number and then after about 2-3 seconds changes the channel.

This is very annoying so what I need to know is:

It is specific to the Q model.
    It is specific to the European model.
    Can it be changed to be single number only.
    Does anyone else suffer from this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this on a Philips 28PW6515 (it wasn't a grey import though). It drove me nuts at first - but then I got used to it after a few days. Didn't matter though, because I returned the set. My JVC (also being returned!) does the same thing, but it switches much faster (in under 1 second). No experience with Toshiba's yet - but what's the set like otherwise Orange? Is it good? Have Toshiba ironed out the problems? I need a new TV :(

Incidentally, Comet.co.uk advertise the set as 32ZP18P/Q - guess you never know what you're gonna get 'til it turns up!

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the toshiba 42wh18b and it too has the double digits your on about. If I am watching say ch 1 and want to go to 3 I just press 3. Then about 2 seconds later it changes to the channel. It does not bother me at all. Also, this set has been my best tv in a long while.

4. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set is very good. Som eof the issues that are claimed seem to be a side effect of poor set-up on the users part.

The picture is stunning anf the set looks very cool in the house.

If only I could get rid of the delay between switching channels I would be in heaven.

5. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought if you pressed the -/-- button on the remote it would toggle between single digit mode (0-9) and double digit mode (10-99), so it sounds as if you need to press this button and then you should be in single digit mode forever. Atleast that is the theory anyway - haven't tried it myself.

6. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jasonlgriffin, that was my thought, but annoyingly on the 32ZP18Q they have removed this button from the remote and instead there is a button to flick between the current and previous selected TV channel.

I have also tried making sure there are only 5 channels that are prgrammed to see if that made a difference, ie: less than 10, but it did not.

Would be interesting to know if there is some kind of remote hack to get over this.

7. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked in the manual and it definitely says you need to press 0 then the digit to get a channel 0-9. This means you don't have to wait for the timeout on the double digit but does require an extra key press. Bit of a bind though (my VCR is the same)!

8. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now found a cure for the long delay in double figures mode on the 3*ZP18Q.

As they have removed the button from the handset and replaced it with a last channel button, I wrongly assumed they would be using the same remote code for that button and just changed the software in the TV set to action a different command.

Good news is they have not. I have a learning remote which you can enter preset codes into to work with different TV, usual stuff.

And hey presto by entering the Toshiba the button to the right of the zero and under seven changes the channel from double to single digits and gets rid of the annoying wait and it switches straight away.

If you do not have a learning remote it may be worth spending £10 on the cheapest you can find to stop this waste of your time.

My partner is now very happen as she was not happy this had changed after the set was replaced, am I am very happy also.