1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not always 100% gapless on HD5/atrac?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JoachimF, Oct 22, 2005.

1. JoachimF

JoachimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I noticed this just now, when playing back some albums I get 100% gapless playback which is so nice! :clap: But some albums have a slight (very small, but noticeable) glitch when changing to next song, like a clicking sound.

All albums are atrac3plus 256k... Anyone know what may be causing this?

Regards,
    Joachim

Edit: after further close listening I heard that the glitch actually varied, it was more noticeable on the switch between some tracks but on others it was almost gone.

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Coud be a poor rip; SonicStage ain't always good at ripping well. Try re-ripping with SS, or use EAC/LAME to rip to MP3 at 320 as a single file for the whole CD (or just those affected tracks), transcode to ATRAC, then use SS's Divide function to edit back into individual tracks with no loss of gapless.

3. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i had this once too. the reason it happened to me was that i originally ripped the tracks at 256kbps then because i wanted more space i used sonicstage to convert them to 132kbps. (this is when i noticed the click appear). to resolve it i deleted the offending albums and re-ripped them which worked nicely. i dont know if thats the reason why its happening to you but i thought it was worth a shot. good luck!

4. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ripped hundreds of CD's with SonicStage that have been gapless with no problems. But any conversion within SonicStage will create a gap. I highlly recommend not transcoding files except as a last result.

You should just rip to WAV if you are going to use this method. Then you will avoid the loss of transcoding.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, of course, Ryzir, although I've transcoded 1000s of tracks which to my ears at least show no sign of quality deterioration.

Another possible cause for the slight gaps might be that if you re-ripped a track or two within a CD which you've ALREADY RIPPED USING SONICSTAGE, this does tend to cause problems. ATRAC only seems to be 100% reliable on the gapless front if the WHOLE CD is ripped at once and not subsequently re-ripped in part. It's almost as if SS can only figure out where each track starts and stops if it rips the tracks of a whole CD in one go.

6. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No disrespect intended shadow, you give tons of good advice! For me transcoding is a big NO-NO. But if you can't tell a difference then it doesn't really matter. I used to not be so picky but over time I have become extremely sensitive over how good the quality is. I kind of wish I wasn't, it kind of a pain sometimes.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence taken, dude! :thumbsup:

Just wish there was a gapless alternative to ATRAC ...

8. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, me too! :D