Not all ports are bad.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Monkeyspoon, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Take Virtua Tennis 3. The X360 version is a port of the PS3 version. The X360 version ended up being the better game.

Also take Oblivion. The PS3 version is a port and it ended up being better than the X360 version.

So just because the PS3 is going to get lots of ports doesnt mean they are all going to be bad. Some might be better.

2. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Round two *ding* *ding*

3. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I vote to close this thread.:rolleyes:

4. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why? All I've said is not all ports are bad. Some people think that just because the PS3 is going to have lots of ports they are going to be bad.

5. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    VT3 isnt a port at all made by different team, oblivion is nearly a year late and 360 will see these upgrades in the form of a path down the line according to the dev.

6. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    You are flogging a dead horse.We all know your opinion on the ps3 and the 360,and while i agree with you about the ps3 version of oblivion being superior in regards to graphics and performance,i still think this thread is counter productive and will end badly.

7. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It only gets bad when fanboys feel they have to stick up for their console. Thats why I gave 2 examples of better ports on both systems.

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    VT3 is not a port on the 360. The 360 version was worked on simultaneously by Sumo Digital whilst Sega's AM2 dvision did the PS3 one. The 360 version certainly isn't the better game. The main differences between the two are the PS3 version looks a bit better and the 360 version has online. They are both good in their own right. I certainly wouldn't consider having online makes the 360 version a better game.

9. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I thought the X360 version was a port because AM2 are the original arcade developers. I can see where you are coming from. Sometimes the X360 version can really slow down in things like the barrel challenge. It depends what you want in the end. I chose online so i can play my friends but I will admit the graphics are better on the PS3 version.

10. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
    In the end it comes down to the devs / publishers and whether or not they are bothered about making a good job of a port.. most tend to do any old job just to get it out the door where as some take their time and do a good job of it.. I don't think you can blame the hardware for either system if you want blame look at the devs /Publishers.

11. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wouldnt count on getting good ports from EA. It might cut into thier profits.

But in some cases if they put a little more effort in some people might buy the original and the port. I read on the Oblivion page that some people are going to buy it again to play it with better graphics etc. Unfortunately even with the updated X360 version it still isnt as good. So in that example they have sold the same game twice but only polished up the original.

12. joetbc76

joetbc76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think it matters whether one port is slightly graphically or technically otherwise inferior to another, unless it affects gameplay.

Both COD3 and FEAR are graphically superior on the Xbox360, but only FEAR has playability issues on the PS3 due to the choppy framerate. COD3 is perfectly playable. I have Oblivion on the Xbox360, but I wouldn't buy the PS3 version because apart from some selective fine tuning (e.g. not the lighting effects), it doesn't really offer anything radically different - and in any case I'm bored of it now.

For me the real pros of any console will be the exclusives and ultimately it will be the quality of those titles that determine whether I play my PS3 or Xbox360 more.

As for multiplatform games, well that will be down to personal preference. For example (assuming everything else is more or less equal) I will probably always prefer playing PES on the PS3 as I prefer the PS3 controller for sports games, but I will probably play more FPS titles on the Xbox 360.

Other people will take the online component offered by both consoles into consideration.

13. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So PS3 owners should still be excited about some of the upcoming ports like GRAW2 and Rainbow 6 Vegas as it is possible that they could be better than the X360 versions. Even if they are not they are still great games.

14. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Still completely failing to see the point of this thread.

Why should any PS3 owner be excited about an upcoming port of a game because it may be better than the 360 version? Or vice versa? If the PS3 owner does not have a 360 then they should be simply be excited about having something to play regardless if its worse or better than the 360 version, I know Sony diehards can be a ‘strange’ bunch but surely no one would be dense or petty enough to miss out on a game they fancy because it may run or look a smidge less than the 360 version which they have chosen not to have the capability to play?!?

If the various ports are released at the same time then people will simply look to the one that offers the best for what they are interested in… beit online play, performance, etc Seems utterly silly to me to try and get excited about the prospect of a game being better than another consoles version of the same game (not to mention a mindfield of disappointment if current trends continue), personally I will be sticking to getting excited about the games themselves and then just choose to buy the one that appeals the most.

15. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Because some non X360 owners were dissapointed to hear that another port to PS3 was handled badly (FEAR). I think PS3 owners should be excited about some of the ports coming their way. My friend really wants to get P6V because of all the good stuff I said about the X360 version. He said it wouldn't be as good on the PS3. I told him it could actually be better but even if its not its still a great game.