1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Again

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wallzy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As some of you might remember i brought a denon avr2105 and it blew up
    (see here) the shop were i brought the amp from replaced it with another denon avr 2105 i set the amp up again all was going fine the amp is not a week old yet and the same has happened again i had a cd playing at around -22db's the music cut off, i let the amp cool down turned the amp back on there was a flash and a sound of sizzling from inside the amp now the same is happening that was happening to the other amp.
    does any one know why this might be happening again i have checked all the wiring nothing seems to be touching. i dont think that -22db's is extremly loud (or is it) i dont feel i was pushing the amp all that much my old amp a sony str-de585 seemed to handle these volumes and more with ease so i thought upgrading to a amp with more output would have been able to handle them :oops:

Also could anyone recomend any other amps for around £500 (that isnt what i paid for the 2105 just have a bit more money spare) that arnt going to keep blowing up. the amp will be used for 50/50 music and movie i also like the 5 channel stereo sound feature for audio any recomendations

thanks in advance

Dean Walls

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the Yamaha range of amps. I would say the nearest to the 2105 is the DSP-AX750SE. I have the older 640SE and it has been a great amplifier. The build and reliability of Yamaha amps is second to none. From what I have read, the 750SE is very good with music too.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would check your power supply first, two amps blowing up isn't a good sign, you could be having a very unstable power supply and due to the high current draw of your amp it may not be able to provide a stable supply.

Are you using any form of surge protection? This should help in the first instance, you may need some form of power regulator. I'm no electrician or physicist, so maybe others will have more info.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Agree with Kaz, 2 amps blowing sup sounds like more than coincidence to me.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Is it well ventilated with plenty of space around and above it?

7. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i do have a surge protecter but there is quite a lot that is plugged into the 2 sockets that are in my room it is well ventilated around and above the unit its on the top shelf of my AV rack so plenty of room abvove and there is around a foot of space behind

could any one with one of these amps tell me what there normal listning level is on the amp have they had any problems listening to the amp at that level

thanks

Dean

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    -22 is safe on almost any amp, so that wouldn't be the problem, unless your speakers are INCREDIBLY difficult to drive (even then it is unlikely this would cause your problem after such a short time).

The only two explanations I can think of are:

1: Bad batch of amps received by your dealer.
    2: Bad power supply being fed into the unit.

Might be an idea to contact Denon to see if they are aware of any bad batches causing this problem. Also, make sure you have the correct voltage set at the back of the amp, 220V for UK/Ireland and 110 for USA (athough this is clutching at straws).

9. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks to you all for replying

Kazman you saying it might be a bad batch has just made me think when we returned the other amp the sales person was making note of the serial number and he said that it was only 3-4 up in serial numbers so may be they are from the same batch i think i will be looking into the power supply issue the trouble is my plug sockets are across the room from all my equpiment so there is 2 leads run around the room then it plugged into one of these leads (both with breakers on)

thanks Dean

10. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just taken the amp back to the shop and returned the amp they was sayin it could be a problem with the speakers that i am using,then some one from another shop said they had 2 of the same amps returned with a identical problem so it looks like it is a problem with the batch

thanks Dean Walls

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    No probs

Looks like a dodgybatch is definitely the cause then. You going to stick with the same amp model or try a different brand?

If you are going to try something different, I'd reccomend the Marantz SR7500, the Pioneer 1014i and the Yamaha RXV1500

12. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i was looking at a differnt manufactoter next although the denon was a good amp the 2 going pop on me has kinda put me off a bit dont really want to risk another one i was looking at the Pioneer 1014i there is just a few questions that i will be asking about this amp before i comite to buying

thanks
    Dean

13. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have had an AVR 2105 cut out problem. I too was listening at moderate levels, well ventilated and the cutout occurred only after 5 mins play. Not too much to ask I think.
    The amp is less than 6 months old and powering MordauntShort premier plus 5.1 speaker system, all wiring looks fine and dandy.
    I was wondering if anyone has contacted Denon as regards the bad batch issue.
    My serial number on the Amp is; 4073300296. anyone have their dodgy amp serial number handy! How about you wallzy
    :lease:

14. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i would also be concerned about loading 2 plugs with lots of stuff. I'm not saying its the cause of the problem but it is potentially dangerous to load too much stuff onto the one socket.

hope you get it sorted out

GL

15. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd completely second this, Wallzy dude.

I've just gone up from the 640 to the 757 - cos they're just so good.

On the Yamaha DSPAX640SE I regularly leave music blasting throughout the house, via the 5.1 set-up - on say -10dB or more - for hours on end - and all one ever knew was the little fan in the amp kicking in - and then only after about an hour or so of severe exertion. Awesome - I highly recommend this line-up of amps.

P.s. Though - it is worth checking (for all future cases) your speaker impedance settings. This one is just so easily overlooked - and can well lead to over-load problems, if the settings aren't matched. If your speakers say that they're 8Ohms, then you're pretty much gonna be okay - as this would be the default setting on most amps.

Good luck!! And if you get the Yammy - let it rip and have fun with no stressing about stressing it!! (P.s. I got my DSPAX757SE from AVLAND (guy there is called Kingsley) for £399 - price-matching Richer Sounds)

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    Unless I've missed it, why has nobody asked you about your speakers?
    Are you correctly matching the impedance? What speakers have you got?

17. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to the "AV world" Stuart but on refering to the Denon 2105 manual it refers to 4~16 ohms impedence.

My speakers are all labelled 80w 4~8 ohms. (Centre, 2front and 2surround). Plus subwoofer

So am I right in thinking that Mordauntshort 5.1 premier plus setup should run ok on the denon amp.

Considering the sound level is neva cranked up, due to the wee ones!! ;)

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Premiere's are not the easiest speakers in the world to drive but I don't have any other cases where this has happened. A cable short could do this however.

19. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I can't see anything wrong with the speaker cable connections does this mean that a speaker has given up the ghost somehow, which are under warranty, or the amp has packed up.

If mine was one of the "dodgy serial number batch", as stated as a possibility by wallzy, I am happy to accept the amp is kaput but thankfully under warranty.

If it is a speaker would it be one or all and how could I troubleshoot to ascertain the damaged culprit or culprits.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!