Not a single mention of the fantastic Shuttle SG33G5M in this forum?

I have an ATI HD2400 that I could do with upgrading (good enough for Lego Indiana Jones) but would love to play COD 4, Crysis etc. My res is 1280x720.

What's the best card that is low profile and has HDMI output, or DVI > HDMI adapter capable?

Looking around the £100 mark but could stretch for more, could be tempted for a 8800GT like you psikey, what model is yours?

I have an ATI HD2400 that I could do with upgrading (good enough for Lego Indiana Jones) but would love to play COD 4, Crysis etc. My res is 1280x720.

What's the best card that is low profile and has HDMI output, or DVI > HDMI adapter capable?

Looking around the £100 mark but could stretch for more, could be tempted for a 8800GT like you psikey, what model is yours?

The cheapest at the time :D Inno3D 512MB has performed flawlessly. Played Bioshock at 80-150fps and currently playing Crysis as 35-45fps (at 1366x768). The stock fan also stays quiet when not gaming which is essential for dual role as a HTPC. Your other option is an ATI HD4850 (remember you need a single slot card).

I'm playing Crysis in DX9 mode as you get ~5-10fps better performance with no loss in graphical detail to my eyes. Looks better than anything the 360 or PS3 can currently put out :eek: (and thats comparing to Drakes Fortune on my PS3).

Performance chart showing 8800GTX vs ATI HD4850 bearing in mind the 8800GT doesn't perform as well as the GTX but comparable at 1280x720 or 1366x768 (or even consider older ATI HD3850).

3dm-overall.gif

Think I read the 4850 has some cooling issues (running hot) so 8800GT may still be the best choice for our small machines :smashin:

Last edited:
Thanks psikey,

Seriously tempted by the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI

Had a look around and they do seem to run hot though, other power consumption stats say these use less power than the 8800GT.

This being an ATI card, as my HD2400 allows sound pass-through via the HDMI cable, so no fussing with seperate audio out (I've no receiver or 5.1 surround setup as of yet).

Hmmmmm.

I've gone for a Gainward ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI. These cards run hot, but I'm going to give it a go. I will bore out another hole in my AV unit back plate for extra cooling.

Anyone else running a 4850 card in this shuttle?

I will let you know how I get on, can't resist CoD4 and Race Driver GRID any longer!

I can't install this card just yet as it's going to fry in the shuttle case, so here's my plan.

I've ordered a replacement case for £10 and I'm going to mod this with a hole at the side where the onboard vga fan can expel the hot air and also some holes on top directly above the hd4850 to release the hot air without it swirling around heating up the shuttle.

I'm also going to use RivaTuner to up the standard fan speed as I have heard great results, hopefully this will work.

Will let you know how it goes.

Been a while since I posted on this thread.

Looking to add a High Def drive into my Shuttle Media Centre, and recall there were issues with upgrading PowerDVD when trying to play downloaded movies? Or something along those lines?

Is this still an issue? Are there any particular players you would recommend to install into my Shuttle?

I seen a nice looking drive on eBuyer for around £70 - Panasonic drive if I remember correctly!?

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Hi,

I recently built one of these shuttles and would reccomend them to anyone :thumbsup:

The only problem, as stated by psikey, is the PSU can get very hot and very very noisy! Has anyone fitted the fanless external PSU yet?

The G33 onboard gpu is good enough for the moment but I'll be switching to upcoming Ati HD4670 or HD4650 (Just 55w :smashin:) when they come out.

Stu_C did you manage to get the 4850 cool enough?

Right, last night I fitted the HD4850, I bought a replacement cover (£12 eBay) for my shuttle and asked my Dad to drill a hole in the exact place where the 4850 fan is. He also drilled some extra holes on the top to allow and heat build up indside to escape.

I then did a search on Youtube for hd4850 fan adjust and found a tutorial on how to manually adjust the fan. It started off getting really hot, 79 degrees. After following the tutorial and setting the fan to 45%, creating a shortcut for the profile, then adding it to the startup item, it now kicks in upon loading.
temps were in the high 30 degrees and the case felt cool.

I would definatley recommend cutting this air hole in the case otherwise the hot air is going to circulate inside the shuttle.

I haven't tried any intensive games yet, eg. COD4, Racing driver GRID until I know it was going to work OK. Will report back.

I am currently having a problem with it not passing sound over the HDMI, I'll try over the weekend to sort that out.

Right, last night I fitted the HD4850, I bought a replacement cover (£12 eBay) for my shuttle and asked my Dad to drill a hole in the exact place where the 4850 fan is. He also drilled some extra holes on the top to allow and heat build up indside to escape.

I then did a search on Youtube for hd4850 fan adjust and found a tutorial on how to manually adjust the fan. It started off getting really hot, 79 degrees. After following the tutorial and setting the fan to 45%, creating a shortcut for the profile, then adding it to the startup item, it now kicks in upon loading.
temps were in the high 30 degrees and the case felt cool.

I would definatley recommend cutting this air hole in the case otherwise the hot air is going to circulate inside the shuttle.

I haven't tried any intensive games yet, eg. COD4, Racing driver GRID until I know it was going to work OK. Will report back.

I am currently having a problem with it not passing sound over the HDMI, I'll try over the weekend to sort that out.

Managed to solve the sound over HDMI issue, I was using the HD2400 DVI>HDMI dongle, switched to the one supplied by the HD4850 and all OK.

Time to buy some games!

Heres a shot of my shuttle in the fan cooled A/V unit. I need to lower the shelf it's on to allow a bit more airflow above. But you can see the hd4850 fan.

Once the cabinet is closed, it's quiet and with smoky glass you cannot see the body is silver compared to the black front, honest!

my.php

link if the above doesn't work >>> http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shuttlehd4850ct0.jpg

Can anyone clarify - I'm looking to buy one of these as I like the HDMI output - it's only gonig to be a media centre so instead of using the PCI-E slot for a graphics card, I plan to put a tv card in, and i also want to get a blu ray/HD drive.

There was notes initially that this didn't work (back in 2007) is this still the case with the onboard graphics, or has the updated software in terms of PowerDVD etc sorted this out?

If it is a hardware problem then I will just avoid getting this, which would be a shame because it's a nice unit. I have a shuttle at the mo which is a couple of years old and just want to upgrade as I'm putting a home cinema in the loft and really want to get the HD/BluRay going in the media centre I make.

Thanks

I would avoid, I had this last year and could not get the HD playback via blu-ray.

Going by the lack of news from shuttle and on this board stay away.

Please dont tell me I am screwed to get hd playback working on my shuttle? I just bought an LG HD DVD / BluRay drive to playback high definition discs - but after a load of faf with powerdvd - and a downloaded patch - i am now getting a message saying the graphics card is incompatible!!!!!!:mad:

Can anyone advise how to get around this problem please? :lease::lease:

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I read and learned a lot over here, but now I have a question that I can't solve myself.

I have a Shuttle SG33G5M for a couple months now and am very happy with it. Last week I bought myself a Sony Bravia 40D3500 LCD screen. I wanted to connect it via the HDMI output of my Shuttle. Unfortunately they don't recognize eachother. I never used the HDMI output before. The standard video drivers are installed and I selected the right AV input with my Sony remote.

Hope someone can help me. Now I connected the screen via the pc (vga) input, but that supports max 1366x768.

Hi,

I recently built one of these shuttles and would reccomend them to anyone :thumbsup:

The only problem, as stated by psikey, is the PSU can get very hot and very very noisy! Has anyone fitted the fanless external PSU yet?

quote]

Yes I did as soon as it was available! The PC62 works great and makes a huge difference! Now my Shuttle SG33G5M is a real low noise htpc system.
You can read more about my experiments: My Shuttle SG33G5M PC: Is it a silent PC?

Please dont tell me I am screwed to get hd playback working on my shuttle? I just bought an LG HD DVD / BluRay drive to playback high definition discs - but after a load of faf with powerdvd - and a downloaded patch - i am now getting a message saying the graphics card is incompatible!!!!!!:mad:

Can anyone advise how to get around this problem please? :lease::lease:
Well... I had my share of similar problems...
Started with a blu-ray drive (Pioneer BDR-202) and got the same 'card incompatible' messages... YOU NEED A GRAPHICS CARD! Then powerDVD will work... You can read more about my experiments at: My Shuttle SG33G5M PC: Can it play Blu-Ray?

Last edited:
Hi to all
I have a SG33G5M and I want to buy an ATI 4850, the problem is the PSU, I have the 250W, may I have to buy the 300W PSU?
I´ve seen the Gigabyte Silent ATI 4850 Gigabyte Silent Radeon HD 4850 in the Works - techPowerUp! Forums.
Do you know if it fits inside the Shuttle?, how about the temperature?

Stu C, have you tried CoD4 in your 4850, works fine?, I'm waiting for Cod5 this week!!

Hi to all
I have a SG33G5M and I want to buy an ATI 4850, the problem is the PSU, I have the 250W, may I have to buy the 300W PSU?
I´ve seen the Gigabyte Silent ATI 4850 Gigabyte Silent Radeon HD 4850 in the Works - techPowerUp! Forums.
Do you know if it fits inside the Shuttle?, how about the temperature?

Stu C, have you tried CoD4 in your 4850, works fine?, I'm waiting for Cod5 this week!!

I hope the 300 Watt PSU is enough... The recommendations for a 4850 are higher...
On global.shuttle.com you find information about supported graphic cards: Shuttle Global - Home There is one 4850 model: MSI R4850-T2D512
I expect a 'silent' model will not fit AND you'll run into cooling problems because there is not a good airflow over the graphic card (to close to cover)...

:lease:ive build a media centre shuttle sg33g5
installed vista 32 bit and powerdvd ultra-complete with update, and no way will it play blue ray or HD discs
run the power dvd blue ray adivisor and all is ok, will play with pci e videa card, but i want to use the HDMI out, which is why i bought the thing in the first place!!!!!!!
using LG GGC-H20L dvd drive

Anyone got any ideas, im going mad!

What graphics card are you using and what errors do you get when trying to play a blu-ray disc?

Revival if this thread!

Well after using my Shuttle for a year or so now, it's still going strong apart from my HD4850 finally overheating, due to manually changing the fan speed to low!

Also the Jumper issue which has been solved by turning them upside down.

Anyone else still using their's, or have many upgraded now?

Revival if this thread!

Well after using my Shuttle for a year or so now, it's still going strong apart from my HD4850 finally overheating, due to manually changing the fan speed to low!

Also the Jumper issue which has been solved by turning them upside down.

Anyone else still using their's, or have many upgraded now?

Mines gone now. The motherboard died on me (too much fiddling maybe :confused: ) so took all the bits out & put in a standard case & using with a diNovo mini BT keyboard. Runs perfect with no battle over fan noises or overheating. Won't be going back to Shuttle myself any time soon especially with the emergence of media tanks such as the popcorn hour etc.

I game purely on a PS3 these days when I get chance. The PC I use the most is my Samsung N110 Netbook.

Didn't I give you the tips on the Jumpers :D

Still very happy with my SG33G5M. In januari I installed a HD 4550: ATI Radeon HD 4550 Gigabyte GV-R455D3-512I.
Great improvement! You can read about this here .
The main fan runs at about 1260 rpm (tuned with XPtools), very silent and never heat problems. I use my computer for everything, exept gaming, and I am very pleased with the performance.

Hi Psikey,

Yep you gave me the tip on the jumpers :) I was getting really frustrated with them, especially having sent back under RMA. All sorted now.

@Jappa, nice find with the gigabyte 4550! I've just ordered one. Mainly because of the inbuilt HDMI, at the moment my current card has only a DVI output and add on the extended DVI>HDMI dongle it was only just fitting into my cabinet. This will now solve that problem.

Great website as well with good advice. I'm glad I rekindled this thread.

Stu

Very disappointed with my SG33G5M :mad:

First one was sent back to ebuyer since it was virtually dead on arrival. Second one is working but a number of problems remain.

Configured as:
2.5gh E5200
2GB Corsair
ATI 4670
Creative XFI Gamer
2 HDD - 1 SATA, 1 PATA
LG Combi Superdrive (PowerDVD)
Vista Premium SP2

1. Twice in two weeks the unit has "died" and windows would not load. Supposedly to do with the jumper connection. Had to remove the cards and re-seat the jumpers to get it working again.

2. XPC tools is not compatible despite Shuttle saying it is.

3. Cant play Blu Ray DVD with the onboard Intel graphics and PowerDVD, hence I had to buy a graphics card. Shuttle claim that you can play BD but I am reading more about those that cant rather than can, and this issue is hardly new.

4. PSU fan noise is bad. Useless for developing a HTPC. I'm certainly not paying the best part of 100 for a lower rated (200W) fanless Shuttle PSU.

Mine is working but I have no confidence in it staying that way and it is not all that enjoyable. It is not appropriate for either an HTPC or performance rig. Just sits in nowhere land.

My mistake for not doing enough research on this below average kit:oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom