Not a single mention of the fantastic Shuttle SG33G5M in this forum?

Has anyone had this problem before?

My SG335G5M has an external ATI HD 2400 graphics card, that has been working fine, then all of a sudden it decided it didn't want to boot with an external graphics card in, tried with different card(s) and it won't boot with any thing. The blue light doesn't come on, although the hard disk light and fans indicate power.

I had sent it back and they returned it fully working with a Glamor XPC BIOS which has been working fine for a couple of months, now again it has decided to do the same thing. Have updated with the D'VO 2008 BIOS on the website and still no joy, hopefully returning it once again, weird!

Stu

Very wierd.

Does the onboard graphics work? Did you try changing the settings for the PCI devices in the BIOS?

I've had some wierd stuff happening too. Managed to fix the problem above but now I've got another 1. Pic freezes when I'm watching BluRay. Haven't tried standard DVDs yet so I don't know if this is a problem just with this type of media but it happened on Friday night and I put it down to the disc.

Now it's happening with my only BR disc - 300! Picture freezes but the timer on PowerDVD seems to indicate that it's still playing. Then the sound will come back after a few minutes but the pic will still be frozen or at least move as if in slo-mo. Very annoying. I'm on Vista Ultimate 64-bit which could have something to do with it!

I've played the 300 blu-ray now about 4 times (love the film) as an ISO on my hard drive and off the disk under Vista 64 and have had no problems at all. Every blu-ray I've tried plays perfectly & looks just as good via VGA as through my PS3 over HDMI.

Whats your CPU & have you checked % utilisation when Blu-ray is playing? Are you using onboard graphics or GPU?

One other thing, AnyDVD HD can conflict with some movies. I had some jumping/pausing with Ghost Rider when playing from disc & ripped to the hard drive. By disabling, it played trouble free. If your using AnyDVD its worth a try.

PS. Mines the Pioneer Blu-ray drive.

I've played the 300 blu-ray now about 4 times (love the film) as an ISO on my hard drive and off the disk under Vista 64 and have had no problems at all. Every blu-ray I've tried plays perfectly & looks just as good via VGA as through my PS3 over HDMI.

Whats your CPU & have you checked % utilisation when Blu-ray is playing? Are you using onboard graphics or GPU?

One other thing, AnyDVD HD can conflict with some movies. I had some jumping/pausing with Ghost Rider when playing from disc & ripped to the hard drive. By disabling, it played trouble free. If your using AnyDVD its worth a try.

PS. Mines the Pioneer Blu-ray drive.

Thanks psikey.

One question before I answer yours: How do I create an ISO? I have PowerDVD Ultra. Would that do it?

CPU Utilisation is about 50% (C2D E6750)
I'm using the onboard graphics. Budget didn't quite stretch to an 8800GTS although I might go down that road in future.

I haven't got AnyDVD HD, but mine is also the Pioneer BluRay drive.

It's possible that Vista was doing something in the background to cause this problem but since the 1st freeze of 300 earlier it hasn't happened again. I didn't want to investigate what might have been causing the film I was watching on Friday to freeze as the missus was with me and she was fed up as it is without me trying to fiddle with anything else rather than just to get it going again.

To be able to watch a Blu-ray movie ripped to your hard drive you have to have AnyDVD HD (paid for software) which bypasses the encryption systems & region coding. The other key benefit is that it lets you watch a Blu-ray without the need for a HDMI HDCP connection (i.e. over VGA). Latter versions of PowerDVD Ultra do not let you play a folder from the hard drive so I'm still using an older version.

The other main reason for even doing this is so you can play the movies on a laptop without a built-in Blu-ray drive when your out & about (in my case away on business).

You can then use AnyDVD HD to rip the blu-ray as a folder to your hard drive or other software such as Nero or ImgBurn (freeware) to create ISO images & Nero or DAEMON Tools to mount them (freeware/shareware?).

As to your problem, then that CPU can easily handle HD and I had an E6750 2.67GHz with onboard graphics before moving to the E8400 3.6GHz & 8800GT and also had no problems. As you say, must be a temporary glitch when Vista was doing something in the background.

To be able to watch a Blu-ray movie ripped to your hard drive you have to have AnyDVD HD (paid for software)

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :(

Psikey, you are the "shuttleMaster" you were right, I re-seated the Jumpers and it booted straight away! Thanks so much for your valuable advice.

I think this was what happened the first time it went back for RMA and returned. Will cancel the new RMA.

Cheers again :clap::clap::clap:

Quick question on the Shuttle SG33G5M....

Does anyone know if its possible to output DD5.1 / DTS via the HDMI? (I'm only getting stereo via HDMI)

I'm using the optical out at the moment but would like to reduce some cable clutter

cheers

Does anyone know if its possible to output DD5.1 / DTS via the HDMI? (I'm only getting stereo via HDMI)

I'm using the optical out at the moment but would like to reduce some cable clutter

cheers

I don't think any of the PC based HDMI connections carry 5.1 audio (I could easily be wrong here though).

Thanks Azzin, I've a feeling you're right as I've not seen it mentioned that it does anywhere

Now running on Vista 64 totally (removed dual boot with MCE2005) and have just fitted 4GB of OCZ 6400 RAM & a C2D E8400 3GHz so my Shuttle SG33G6(with PF27 VFD) is pretty much maxed out now (have an 8800GT 512MB & Pioneer BR drive installed).

Earlier picture of the Shuttle but on top shelf of my stand

2391634550072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

psikey,

I wonder if you could help. I notice you are running Vista 64 and also appear to have the VFD display working (i.e. CPU temp).

I am running with a SG33G5M Deluxe and vista 64 premium and I've looked on shuttles support area and cannot find a suitable download in order to get the VFD working properly. Can you let me know which drivers/utilities you have used in order to get yours working?

Thanks.

John

Sorry John, that photo was taken when I had a dual boot with MCE2005. There is a driver for use with the PF27 in Vista 64 but only provides limited info in Vista Media Center such as track positon & play time etc. plus few other bits.

See http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=494

For some strange reason it will show as "employee" when installed under installed apps.

Text based support has been removed from VFD functionality due to language issues so only very basic info is now displayed. I did complain about this as I mas expecting track names etc. but was advised that head-office had taken the decision. Did hint at false advertising to trading standards but never actually pursued it. Also looked at other 3rd party option for extra functionality but they did not apperar to support the Shuttle VFD.

Also a Vista 64 driver for SG33G5M Deluxe (VFD under drivers TAB):

http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=784

Sorry John, that photo was taken when I had a dual boot with MCE2005. There is a driver for use with the PF27 in Vista 64 but only provides limited info in Vista Media Center such as track positon & play time etc. plus few other bits.

See http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=494

For some strange reason it will show as "employee" when installed under installed apps.

Text based support has been removed from VFD functionality due to language issues so only very basic info is now displayed. I did complain about this as I mas expecting track names etc. but was advised that head-office had taken the decision. Did hint at false advertising to trading standards but never actually pursued it. Also looked at other 3rd party option for extra functionality but they did not apperar to support the Shuttle VFD.

Also a Vista 64 driver for SG33G5M Deluxe (VFD under drivers TAB):

http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=784

Ah, that makes it a lot clearer. Thanks for the links you've provided, I'll take a look.

Bit of a shame that text support has been removed as it would have been a nice feature that would of 'finished off' my shuttle very nicely. Oh well...

Regards.
John

Very wierd.

Does the onboard graphics work? Did you try changing the settings for the PCI devices in the BIOS?

I've had some wierd stuff happening too. Managed to fix the problem above but now I've got another 1. Pic freezes when I'm watching BluRay. Haven't tried standard DVDs yet so I don't know if this is a problem just with this type of media but it happened on Friday night and I put it down to the disc.

Now it's happening with my only BR disc - 300! Picture freezes but the timer on PowerDVD seems to indicate that it's still playing. Then the sound will come back after a few minutes but the pic will still be frozen or at least move as if in slo-mo. Very annoying. I'm on Vista Ultimate 64-bit which could have something to do with it!

Well this problem is still haunting me.

I thought it might be the media, but it happens with both DVDs and BDs (although more frequently with standard DVDs).

Then I thought it might have been disk-specific as there was a scratch on "Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies" - don't laugh!) but my copy of 300 is unmarked.

So it must be PowerDVD as it freezes completely! Nope, happens in Windows Media Centre too.

I'm inclined to think it's a hardware problem as I've also had the occasional BSOD, but I put that down to Vista64 being Vista64. Downloaded firmware updates for the Pioneer BDC-202 but when I tried to install I got an error message saying "Model name of kernel part is not matched" :rolleyes:

Getting a bit fed up of it now to be honest! :(

cheers

Intel G33 and G35 do support DD and DTS as bitstream via HDMI but only some of the drivers actually work and only in some playback applications.

Any Intel graphics driver with either the 2034 or 2035 HDMI driver will work but not in PowerDVD 7 (for example). Not sure whether PDVD 8 has fixed the issue or not as I haven't tried it yet.

Obviously there's no HD audio as bitstream (only multi-channel LPCM) which works with all revisions of the HDMI driver.

Hope this helps.

Wo0zy

For those of you who find the PSU fan a little noisy (I do) on these units, Shuttle have released a fanless PSU :thumbsup:

I will be ordering one I should think.

See here:

http://eu.shuttle.com/pt/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-123/241_read-14709/

Regards.
John

Nice one. Any idea of the price - nothing on the Shuttle website.

EDIT: After digging around a little I've seen someone mention $100 on a US forum. The price in the UK? £95.32 (http://www.ambros.co.uk/generatepdfex.php) Talk about rip off Britain!

Thanks for the update.

I had a noisy PSU in my SG33G6 (300w PSU) and took a chance buying another SilentX one and the difference was unbelievable. My original must have had some balance or bearing problem.

This one is not intrusive at all but I may consider the fanless one in the future.

Hello, I can't manage to find the driver which allow me to watch bluray with the onoard Shuttle SG33G5M.. could you please give me a link? thanks a lot !

I'm considering getting one of the Deluxe versions. Overall how would you say it is:

1) quiet?
2) handle vista ok?
3) i'm looking to fit my 8800GT in there, easy fit?
4) would the 300W psu be adequate for the 8800GT?
5) cable handling, neat and tidy? or nice and messy?
6) could some post another picture of it please :) ?

Many thanks folks. :thumbsup:

I'm considering getting one of the Deluxe versions. Overall how would you say it is:

1) quiet?
2) handle vista ok?

Hi, I have the standard version of the SG33G5M and

1) quiet?

I have mine in a closed door HiFi Unit with custom fans to keep it cool in there, a few posts above mention a fanless PSU. This along with a passive graphics card should be minimal in noise.

2) handle vista ok?

Mines running Vista Ultimate and have had no driver problems?

Can't comment, I think someone might have this in one of their machines, check earlier in the thread.

As above.

Neat and Tidy, I've managed to cram in 2 750GB SATA Drives and a DVD-RW with no problem.

1) quiet?
2) handle vista ok?

1) As it comes using built-in graphics its quiet (but not silent). THE PSU fan is the loudest part.

2) I get Vista 5.8 rating with spec in my sig (CPU 5.8, everything else 5.9).

3) I have an 8800GT in mine and playing Crysis at around 35-45fps in high quality 1366x768 on my HDTV.

4) The 300W is powerfull enough for an 8800GT, QUAD core & two hard drives.

5) Internal or external? You'll see some photos in the thread. Mines extremely neat internally (took out the big PATA IDE cable) and same as any other PC externally.

6) Mines not actually a SG33G5 but an SG33G6 with the silver VFD front. Pics already in the thread further back.

With the reference 8800GT its still quiet for general use & HDTV but GPU fan is audible when 3D gaming. Not as loud as an XBOX 360 but more than a PS3. Use mine for HTPC use and high-end gaming.

Last edited:
Hello, I can't manage to find the driver which allow me to watch bluray with the onoard Shuttle SG33G5M.. could you please give me a link? thanks a lot !

If your using Vista uninstall your existing graphics driver then re-boot Vista & it should download the latest from Microsoft Update service which happens to be the one that supports Blu-ray (did for me anyway when I couldn't find the link to the latest one). The Shuttle support site also has the latest to download.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom