Not a single mention of the fantastic Shuttle SG33G5M in this forum?

Not an owner of one of these yet, but I am sure I read in a post that you have to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS before you can start working with your added graphics card ?

I'm sure psikey will pop by soon to give a proper answer :)

nwpsys

The only thing you needed to do was move the jumpers over on the motherboard (2 off them).

Assume you connected up the power cable the card needs.

When I fitted mine, it installed no problem from the supplied disk.

i dont really know which "jumpers" youre referring to, and where to connect them on the mobo.
im sorry, its just this is only my second build, and everything is fine except this last part.....

alright... after lookin at the mobo for like 20 minutes, i saw what you were talkin about and fixed it...
im installing COD 4 right now.... that should put the 8800gt through its paces....
what kinda temps are you guys gettin?
right now im gettin 41 system temp
and 50 or so cpu temp.... and im installing the game right now

really?
only 27 system?
im gettin 41 right now.... and all i am doing is browsing the internet....
but i do have a q6600 and a 8800gt in the box as well as 4gb ram, so thats probably contributing to it....

yeah, after a few days, id have to agree with what psikey said..... the psu is definately the loudest part, i cant even hear the 8800gt..... also, i read somwhere, cant remember where it was, but there is supposedly a 450 watt psu made by shuttle that fits this case..... it was only like 50 - 100 bucks too.... if anyone comes across it again, link it.

Now running on Vista 64 totally (removed dual boot with MCE2005) and have just fitted 4GB of OCZ 6400 RAM & a C2D E8400 3GHz so my Shuttle SG33G6(with PF27 VFD) is pretty much maxed out now (have an 8800GT 512MB & Pioneer BR drive installed).

Will run 3DMark06 tonight to see what I get with everything on stock settings. In Vista, the CPU & hard drive are now showing 5.7 while RAM & graphics are 5.9.

Don't intend overclocking as the performance is plenty for what I need & I don't want to generate excessive heat.

How's everyone getting on with their Shuttle? Posted a couple of new pics in the PS3 forum of my set-up now which I think is about as neat & compact as I could get:

2528536920072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2555525940072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

Earlier picture of the Shuttle but on top shelf of my stand

2391634550072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

Not forgetting the Shuttles companions :D

Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard & MX Air mouse which also perfectly match the PS3.

2378209580072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

I've brought an older Shuttle that's been running as my Media Center for the last 3 years. The only problem with it is that it's limited to what graphics cards you can use, because of the lack of space in the case. If you have a passive card with heat pipes looping over the side of the card, there is a good chance it won't fit.

I've brought an older Shuttle that's been running as my Media Center for the last 3 years. The only problem with it is that it's limited to what graphics cards you can use, because of the lack of space in the case. If you have a passive card with heat pipes looping over the side of the card, there is a good chance it won't fit.

You'll see I've got an 8800GT in this (some pics earlier in the thread I think) but I also had a HD2600XT with Zalman heatpipes that hang over the back which also fitted but takes up the PCI slot position.

To be honest, the fan noise from the 8800GT is so low when doing none gaming such as Windows & HD media playback, that you don't need a passive card (its also not too loud while gaming either).

Its the silver PF27 VFD, not the gold that comes standard on the SG33G5M ones. My system is actually a SG33G6 Deluxe with a PF27 front fitted. A lot of work compared to buying the standard SG33G5M/Deluxe, but I didn't want a gold front.

Yeh :rolleyes: But the SG33G6 is cheaper than an SG33G5M Deluxe (or was when I bought it).

Anyway...

Benches from 3DMark06 but results said not default settings but I don't know why as I just installed the free edition and pressed run :confused:

Score 11,588
SM2 5301
SM3 5234
CPU 2759

Wonder what this would go to if I overclocked the CPU & GPU ???

You'll see I've got an 8800GT in this (some pics earlier in the thread I think) but I also had a HD2600XT with Zalman heatpipes that hang over the back which also fitted but takes up the PCI slot position.

To be honest, the fan noise from the 8800GT is so low when doing none gaming such as Windows & HD media playback, that you don't need a passive card (its also not too loud while gaming either).

That's interesting. I'll have to double check mine to see if I can get a 8800 to fit, I've got a wireless card in the other PCI slot so I won't be able to use anything with overhanging heatpipes. What power connection does the 8800 use?

Takes two power cables into the card via supplied power adapter (can't remember name of connectors now). Think the pics I posted show the power cable connections.

Takes two power cables into the card via supplied power adapter (can't remember name of connectors now). Think the pics I posted show the power cable connections.

Thanks for the info, the pics on page 3 of this thread kind of show the power cables. I'll have to make sure my older shuttle box is the same size and design as the one you have. But on the other hand I was thinking of ditching the shuttle box for something bigger.. oh this stuff is never easy!! :(

Unless you have a decent system with fast RAM and a C2D you won't get the benefit from a 8800GT for gaming.

I tried my 8800GT in my larger old desktop with 1GB slow RAM and 3.4GHz P4 HT and the fps rate was half what I can achieve in my Shuttle, not being much greater than what I got with an HD2600XT.

Just OC the E8400 from 3GHz to 3.6GHz and its operating within Intel temperature guideliness at around 42C idle and under 60C load (thats Tcase, cores show about 15C hotter). ICE cooler goes from around 860rpm idle & under 1200rpm on load. Multiplier is already max at 9 so just pushed fsb from 333 to 400 which should also get the OCZ 6400 RAM running at its 800 fsb speed.

Pushed CPU score in Vista from 5.7 to 5.8 and 3DMark06 to 12,100.

Might see what OC the 8800GT gives now.

EDIT: CPU Case Temp never goes above 60C now as the Arctic Silver Paste must have bedded in.

To finish off my upgrade trials, I've now done a modest OC on the 8800GT from 600/900 to 650/950 and with the E8400 OC to 3.6GHz gives:

3DMark06

Score 12,455
SM2 5,585
SM3 5,367
CPU 3,296

So a 867 mark increase. Don't know how that translates to fps increase but compared to the Shuttle with E6750, 2GB RAM (instead of 4GB now) & 8800GT all at stock giving me around 9,600 its a nice step up to 12,455 :thumbsup:

All running stable.

Slight update:

Just updated my 8800GT Vista 64 drivers and with that slightly OC'ed and the E8400 @ 3.6GHz I'm getting 13,295 3DMark06 which is amazing for my tiny Shuttle G6 system :smashin:

Main Test Results:

3DMark Score 13295 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 5982 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 5917 Marks

CPU Score 3320 Marks

This is really bugging me. Every time I switch my Shuttle back on it resets the TV to 16:9 rather than "Just Scan" (1080p) mode so the edges are chopped off.

And when I switch the source on the TV, then go back to the HTPC source the video reverts all the way back down to 800x600.

Anyone come across this problem before? :confused:

Has anyone had this problem before?

My SG335G5M has an external ATI HD 2400 graphics card, that has been working fine, then all of a sudden it decided it didn't want to boot with an external graphics card in, tried with different card(s) and it won't boot with any thing. The blue light doesn't come on, although the hard disk light and fans indicate power.

I had sent it back and they returned it fully working with a Glamor XPC BIOS which has been working fine for a couple of months, now again it has decided to do the same thing. Have updated with the D'VO 2008 BIOS on the website and still no joy, hopefully returning it once again, weird!

Stu

Dodgy jumpers on the motherboard for switching between onboard & PCI card graphics. Shuttle sent me some others but by waggling the existing ones I got mine working again. Try the jumpers other way around.

part of email I had with Shuttle:

Dear Shuttle Customer,

Did we change the Jumpers for switching the graphics card from onBoard
to PCI-express in the past? May be this can get faulty after time, if
not changed before.

this sounds very crazy. Do you remember if we replaced those jumpers for
the GPU to new ones? Because from the first series - I think like yours
- have faulty jumpers. Therefore it could be possible that from time to
time they gets a little bit loosen.

Best way you try to move them upside down, to make 100% contact. If this
will help, I'll send you fast new jumpers.

If you still have any questions feel free to contact us.
--
Sincerely Yours

Shuttle Support

Then from me:

Excellent knowledge of your product again :)

As soon as I tried the jumpers upside down it fires up all the time again with both sets of RAM.

So glad it wasn't anything serious. Can you forward me these new jumpers so I don't get this problem again."

Think I ought to get a job with Shuttle :D I'll have experienced all the teething problems soon :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom