Not a single mention of the fantastic Shuttle SG33G5M in this forum?

Ruudfood

I'm quite frankly shocked and appalled! ;)

Well anyway, I'll be the first to mention it. OK, I know it's a Shuttle which doesn't necessarily give you the flexibility you'd get with a self-build HTPC but look at the features:

Chassis
G5M-type aluminum chassis (black)
Mirror front face with golden finish
Integrated VFD Media Display (Versatile front-panel display)
Storage bays: 1 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5" (1 internal)
Dimensions: 31 x 20 x 18.5 cm (LWH),
Weight: 3.3 kg net / 4.6 kg gross

VFD Display and Remote Control
Versatile Front-panel Display (VFD) shows helpful information like
Date and time, CD track and title, TV channel, DVD title and progress and more
Integrated receiver for remote control
Shuttle multimedia remote control
Compatible with Windows Media Center (Vista or MCE 2005)

Mainboard
Shuttle FG33, Shuttle form factor, Dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm
proprietary mainboard design for Shuttle XPC Barebone SG33G5M
Chipset: Intel G33 Express (Bearlake-G) + ICH9DH
Solid Capacitors for excellent heat resistance for enhanced system durability
Color slots/connectors design (Power switch, USB, PCIe, PCI)

Power supply
250 Watt mini power supply unit
Input voltage range: 100~240V
Connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V
Dimensions: 190 (L) x 82 (W) x 43 (H) mm
EMI certified: FCC, CE, CCC
Safety certified: TÜV, UL, CB, CCC, CSA, NEMKO
Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)
Power plug region specific

Processor support
Socket 775 supports Single/Dual/Quad Core processors from Intel
with Core technology (65nm) and 800, 1066 or 1333MHz front side bus:
Core 2 Quad Q6xxx, Core 2 Duo E6xxx / E4xxx,
Pentium Dual-Core 2xxx and Celeron D 4xx series.
Designed for the upcoming Intel 45nm Core 2 multi-core processors.
Supports Pentium 4/D processors at 800MHz FSB.
Processors with 533MHz FSB are not supported.
Please refer the support list for detailed processor support information.
Overclocking

Overclocking settings:
CPU frequency, CPU voltage, RAM frequency, RAM voltage
Dynamic Overclock feature:
Easily overclock from 3/5/7/10/15/20% through the BIOS.

Processor cooling
Shuttle I.C.E. 2 (Integrated Cooling Engine)
advanced I.C.E. 2 Heatpipe technology, linear controlled 92mm fan
SilentX cooling and noise reduction technology with Active Airflow

Memory support
2x 240 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
supports DDR2-667/800 SDRAM memory
(up to DDR2-1066 in overclocking mode*)
up to a total size of 4 GB, max. 2 GB per DIMM

Slots
1x PCI-Express (16X) supports 8 GB/s data transfer
1x PCI (32 bit)

Integrated Graphics
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (GMA 3100)
Full Windows Vista Aero experience
Intel Clear Video Technology
Hardware acceleration for MPEG2 and VC1 content
DirectX 9.0 support, Shader 3.0
Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0
Shared Memory size up to 384MB
HDMI connector (High Definition Multimedia Interface)
supports HDCP (High-bandwith Digital Content Protection)
transmits SPDIF digital audio signals
DVI adapter included
VGA connector for analog displays
Dual monitor operating possible (1x digital over HDMI/DVI plus 1x analog over Sub-D)

8-channel audio with DD/DTS
7.1 channel High Definition Audio, Realtek ALC888DD codec
Supports Dolby® Digital Live! and DTS™ Connect (Digital Theater Systems)
Analog: line-out (8-ch), line-in, microphone
Digital: optical S/PDIF output (digital audio), optional S/PDIF input

Gigabit LAN Controller
Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet network controller (Gigabit)
Supports 100 / 1.000 MBit/s operation
Supports Wake-on-LAN (WOL)

Firewire Controller
Firewire controller VIA VT6308
IEEE1394 OHCI rev 1.0 compliant
with 2 Firewire connectors (front and rear)
supports 400Mb/s, 200Mb/s, 100Mb/s data transfer rate

Drive connectors
3x Serial-ATA II, 3 Gbit/s (300 MB/s) bandwidth, NCQ support
2x External Serial-ATA, 3 Gbit/s (eSATA)
1x IDE ATA 100 drives
1x floppy disk drive

Front Panel connectors
Microphone
Headphone (Line-out)
2x USB 2.0
Firewire (Mini 4 pin connector)
Power button
Reset button
Power indicator (blue LED)
HDD indicator (orange LED)

Back Panel connectors
HDMI (DVI adapter included)
D-sub VGA (analog)
4x USB 2.0
GigaBit LAN (RJ45)
IEEE1394 Firewire (6 pin)
2x External Serial ATA port (eSATA)
Optical S/PDIF output (Digital Audio)
8-ch Audio line-out (2x rear/front, bass/center, surround/back)
Audio Line-in
CMOS button
optional Wireless LAN module (PN18)
optional parallel port (PC8)

Other connectors
2x fan connectors (4 pin)
4x USB 2.0 (two sets with 2x5 pins)

Accessories
Remote Control (compatible with Windows Media Center)
Multi-language user guide,
Driver CDROMs (Windows Vista, Windows XP 32/64 bit)
I.C.E. heat-pipe module,
Cable for FDD, Serial ATA (1x), Parallel ATA (1x)
Power cord,
Screws, Heatsink Compound

From here: http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-14213/

I think the thing that swung it for me was support for 1333MHz FSB (a computer spends 90% of it's time moving data to and from memory btw, so the faster the FSB the better), quad core C2D CPUs, HDMI and Vista 64-bit drivers.

Not the mention the price: £239 :eek: from Komplett http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=338645

A no-brainer? Seems like it to me!

Dunwa

I've got my eye on a Shuttle, the SD39P2. No onboard graphics & a 400W PSU. I don't want to be tied to a Motherboard graphics card.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
But that Shuttle has a PCI-E x16 slot available? If you got a passively cooled card that pachine would be very quiet. only thing holding it back is the weeny PSU.

Ruudfood

But that Shuttle has a PCI-E x16 slot available? If you got a passively cooled card that pachine would be very quiet. only thing holding it back is the weeny PSU.

Yes it has 1 PCI-E x16 slot and the PSU is weeny but you're not going to add much int he way of expansion to it are you so I'm sure 250W will cope (and probably make less noise)?

Dunwa

Should have said that my shuttle would be used as both a HTPC and a Games machine, so i'd probably be looking at usign an 8800 GTX. I'll just have to make a sacrifice on the noise front

badbob

Banned
Shuttles are expensive (don't include memory, CPU or HD (motherboard, case and CPU fan are the cheapest components, which are included in a shuttle) doesn't allow custom CPU HSF, non standard PSU, limited PCI/PCI-E potential.

Fine for a kids/email/browser machine, but not as a HTPC or gaming rig. In a HTPC you might want to fit another soundcard and long PCI-E, and in a gaming rig dual slot, and hot running so you need fair bit of airflow. Also need to fit several HD's, so you're out of luck.

A MATX system is cheaper and offers far better cooling, upgrade potential and space to work in the case.
If you're building a games machine I would look at a mid tower at least.

Ruudfood

Shuttles are expensive (don't include memory, CPU or HD (motherboard, case and CPU fan are the cheapest components, which are included in a shuttle) doesn't allow custom CPU HSF, non standard PSU, limited PCI/PCI-E potential.

Fine for a kids/email/browser machine, but not as a HTPC or gaming rig. In a HTPC you might want to fit another soundcard and long PCI-E, and in a gaming rig dual slot, and hot running so you need fair bit of airflow. Also need to fit several HD's, so you're out of luck.

A MATX system is cheaper and offers far better cooling, upgrade potential and space to work in the case.
If you're building a games machine I would look at a mid tower at least.

It IS intended to be used as an HTPC hence the VFD, HDMI, DTS sound, etc and is advertised as such.

As a games machine, however, I wouldn't touch it simply because there's just not enough upgrade potential and, as you said, would run hot.

Stu_C

Hi Ruudfood did you go for this shuttle in the end? It looks perfect for what I need for a HTPC solution. Won't be using for gaming. Will also have it cabled to the LAN to suck files off the computer upstairs so disk space isn't much of a problem.

Any one else own one? I'm looking to install Vista Home Premium on it.
Thanks
Stuart

Ruudfood

Hi Ruudfood did you go for this shuttle in the end? It looks perfect for what I need for a HTPC solution. Won't be using for gaming. Will also have it cabled to the LAN to suck files off the computer upstairs so disk space isn't much of a problem.

Any one else own one? I'm looking to install Vista Home Premium on it.
Thanks
Stuart

Hi Stu :hiya:

Not yet. I'm planning to get everything going in the next couple of weeks, but it might not be until the end of October/beginning of November that I'll be able to give any feedback I'm afraid.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Was considering the SG33G5M but decided to go for the SP35P2 gaming shuttle due out next week as I won't go to expensive of two graphics cards & this can handle a 2900XT/8800 cards while the G series Shuttles with 250w can only handle 8600GTS/HD2600XT or possibly the 1950Pro.

I already have an HD2600XT with HDMI out so bit of a waste with onboard graphics and the P2 is supposedly quiet anyway. The VFD is a bit of a gimmick seeing as the screen will be displaying relevant info anyway.

Good for a pure HTPC but I need some decent gaming performance also.

Stu_C

Thanks for your comments psikey, I have been pondering for ages on what to get. In the end, I've purchased the Shuttle SG33G5M. Need to save for the CPU, RAM and HDD next.

This fits *just* into my AV cabinet, that also contains fans to keep everything cool in there. If I use an external graphics card or the SP35P2 case, the DVI > HDMI adapter will add too much to the depth to fit in.

Ruudfood I will let you know in this thread how I get on.

Ruudfood

Thanks for your comments psikey, I have been pondering for ages on what to get. In the end, I've purchased the Shuttle SG33G5M. Need to save for the CPU, RAM and HDD next.

This fits *just* into my AV cabinet, that also contains fans to keep everything cool in there. If I use an external graphics card or the SP35P2 case, the DVI > HDMI adapter will add too much to the depth to fit in.

Ruudfood I will let you know in this thread how I get on.

Cheers Stu.

I'll be buying all of the components for mine in the next couple of weeks I reckon so I might just beat you to it! ;) In which case I'll let you know how I get on :D

Bruno2

Standard Member
Hi you all,

Just want to check whether a Shuttle is (very) quiet. I might be tempted to buy one in the future purely for htpc (no gaming) so I would use a 2600XT or so and a big harddrive. How does it sound compared to the vacuumer that an xbox 360 is, percentagewise?

Thanks for the info...

mpeg10

anyone know if the on-board graphics can playback HD-dvd, blueray content? I read a review saying that the onboard graphics were too limited ?

Stu_C

Hi mpeg10,

This review here made me decide to buy this,

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/Shuttle_DVO_SG33G5M_Deluxe_Closeup!/5252.html

Here's a quote from the last page

"We were able to play 1080P videos via a Blu-Ray ROM Drive via the onboard GMA3100 graphics without any hiccups - which goes to show that the Shuttle system can and will handle any high definition content easily given its default offerings, without any need for users to upgrade their graphics solutions. Playback was fluid, with no stoppages or sudden frame drops. Not bad for an onboard graphics solution!"

@Bruno 2 - When I get it up and running I'll (or Ruudfood) should be able to give you some feedback

Stu_C

Hi All,
Regarding RAM for this system, would this be appropriate? I'm not sure nowadays with all the voltages and speeds. If there are any better recommendations please let me know. Thanks, Stu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-058-GL

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

Ruudfood

Hi All,
Regarding RAM for this system, would this be appropriate? I'm not sure nowadays with all the voltages and speeds. If there are any better recommendations please let me know. Thanks, Stu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-058-GL

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

Should be according to the specs:

Memory support
2x 240 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
supports DDR2-667/800 SDRAM memory
(up to DDR2-1066 in overclocking mode*)
up to a total size of 4 GB, max. 2 GB per DIMM

mpeg10

just ordered

1 Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB
1 Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz
1 A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
1 Shuttle SG33G5M

from newegg.com total was $640 inc shipping so around £310.

All going well after my trip I'll order a toshiba HD Drive (£70ish) later this month) and report back with my build going by the review if it does output to 1080p then this should be a sweet setup to go under my Samsung LE40M86BD which I picked up for £730 last month :devil:

I'vr got a DTS 5.1 kit and freeview card already. HD files will be held on my main system and networked probably by a twisted cat6 cable giving me a 1gig connection. Has anyone played 1080p files over a network with VLC? Does it work?

Ruudfood

Stu_C

All my stuff arrived today, have been formatting the 750GB drive, at the moment it's on 62%, been going since 10 this morning. Was very easy to install all the bits, looks really nice. Will give more feedback after I've had a play at the weekend.

mpeg10

Just building this system up now. Can't get it to play blu-ray disks using powerdvd and the onboard graphics. Powerdvd is saying that the onboard graphics are not supported.

Anyone point me in the correct direction? I've just tried it under MCE 2005, now installing vista.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Just read somewhere else that in won't work with the onboard G33 graphics but not tried myself. My Pioneer BDC-202 is due Friday.

I've got a passive HD2600XT in mine so will see how that goes. May try with the onboard graphics if you don't find any info to see if I have same problem.

Currently have dual boot of MCE2005 & Vista Premium 64

mpeg10

I can now confirm the onboard graphics will not support either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playback on powerdvd.

Powerdvd is practically the only software that play HD discs, (if there are any others let me know) this system is not HD ready, as shuttle state the onboard graphics are hdcp however if you can't play any HD material whats the point?

I am also reading that the VFD can only display the time, what a joke of a system.

My only hope is that the recent press release cyberlink announcaed they have got a new build working with the intel onboard graphics and blu-ray discs.

Until then I've got my x1950pro sitting in my shuttle, not sure if the PSU will blow with such a power hungery card but it's my only choice for just now.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Ruark introduces R5 Signature audio player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10