1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a rude Question -How many Fiddles are you allowed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dunners1, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    straight forward question -How many fiddles are you allowed once a movie has started??

i have noticed the more upgrades the less you are allowed but the more buttons/adjustments etc thre are.The problem is the more you get into it the more you become aware of the slightest tweak thats needed....how many of you have stopped the movie to use the line " i will only be a second" to which the reply comes back....."your only allowed one/two/three more fiddles.

So how many are you allowed???

Dunners :laugh:

2. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It only takes me one fiddle and she's done

Chris :)

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    Well that would be none in my house :). I get everything set up before the film starts and leave it, even if it's not absolutely perfect. IMHO If you're fiddling with the settings during the film then you aren't really watching it!

4. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Andy i used to fiddle but now with my new set up for once i am happy maybe the TX100 is a little noisy but i am actually now watching the dam movies!! seems strange i actually for the first time don't pine for an upgrade....

Dunners

5. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies to above should have been to Amc

Thx

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    I'm the same bloke?
    There was a thing here a while back about putting your real name in your sig and I never got around to adding anything else :)
    Glad you're not fiddling during the film - it makes the seats shake ;)

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    My seats have shakers in - they're meant to move during a movie. :)

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    "How many fiddles allowed?"

GOOD question!

Until a few months a go, this mid film "fiddling" was causing no end of grief from the wife. :D

This started in my earlier LCD days and got worse during my CRT ownership.

I don't think i'm alone (on this form at least!), that during a film i constantly monitored the image(not the film).
    Normally it would be "mmm, that shadow detail doesn't look right". I would then proceed to play with brightness etc.
    Or during bright scenes, check that whites were not clipping. Hence a little "fiddle" with the contrast!

I did try to wait for the wife to go to the toilet before having a quick "fiddle". :devil:
    But more often than not, i just couldn't wait.

Things came to a head during my CRT PJ period. Even before the film started, i would be double checking convergence/focus. It was rarely out, but as most long term CRTers know, it becomes an addiction.
    CRTs wealth of adjustments (and plenty of opportunities to cock things up!), just seemed to worsen my "fiddling" problem.

After attending a "Fiddlers anonymous" meeting....... aka "Event 2" ;) , i realised i had a problem!

I had started this hobby with the intention of watching large screen movies, and ended up as nothing more than a image technician.

My solution was to get new gear that "Fiddles" with it's self!!! :eek:

The CRT PJ was changed to the Marantz S3 DLP.
    This sorted the convergence/focus "fiddle", and once the brightness and contrast are set, don't need any adjustment. (between sources etc)
    The S3 even has a (limited) automatic colour analyser attachment, meaning colours stay fairly accurate as the bulb ages.

Next i bought the Pioneer AX5i receiver which has automatic sound setup.
    Since this sets everything better than i ever could, i know it's right.

Finally i replaced the HTPC for the Pioneer 868i DVD player. Using the HDMI/DVI output surpasses anything i managed to get out of the PC.
    Again once set, i don't need to adjust anything.

Since these changes, my film enjoyment has rocketed. I finally trust my setup, and know everything it spot on.
    If a scene looks soft, its' the film. If contrast/brightness seems out of whack, it how it was recorded.

The wife is amused that i can watch an entire film without "fiddling".
    I have paused a couple of films at the very start to make a change, but this was down to leaving the DVI input set for the "PC DVI" level and just needed reseting for "Video DVI" etc.

In fact my new found "non fiddling" status is effecting the wife somehow.
    We were watching a concert on DVD, and although i was happy with the sound the wife wasn't.
    She remarked that the surround effects didn't seem right. :rolleyes:
    Well blow me, it turned out she was right! :censored:
    For some reason the DVD defaulted to stereo(meaning prologic 2 engaged etc), and needed DD5.1 to be manually selected.
    Suddenly the room, was bathed in true surround sound and she just remarked " arrr that's better" :eek:
    This coming from a person who doesn't even know how to switch it all on! :zonked:

I do wonder how long this "non fiddling" can last. Although i dumped using the HTPC for DVD playback, i have just started using it for WMV-9HD films. By the looks of things so far, i can see plenty of mid film "fiddles" coming up!!! :devil: :smashin:

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    Glad you fellas have it under control - except possibly Gary ;)

I'm still waiting for a proper long fiddle. I've had my PJ for just over a week. Screen is built, PJ is wall mounted but I still have to get an uber SCART switch and run RGBs leads around the room.
    All of this is waiting until I get an evening in, on my own, when the baby is sleeping properly so I can get it all right.
    Fiddling is a solo occupation, my partner has no time for it :)

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    It can make you blind ya know - get the wife to do it for you - then she'll be the one who goes blind. ;)

Gary.

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    That's a myth, I just have to shave my palms once a week ;)