1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a lot of people know that!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by old-Bill, Dec 17, 2003.

1. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,

sixty odd people looked at my earlier thread In which I asked for advice, two replied ! seems there must be many people like myself out there.

I ride motorcycles but when I ask for assistance there are plenty of people who know their subject, sounds to me like we have a vast number of people wandering in the dark looking for help and a closed knit community of elite video/audiophiles scorning the masses.
    I hope this is not true! although I have come up against a similar class system in bicyles where some look down on the ordinary un-informed sub-class.

A top class road or mountain bike costs in the region of £4000-£5000 pounds but then we can all get a bargain in halfords for £150; Everything is relative! but in bikes ability counts not the price.

I know I'm an old cynical one foot in the grave barsteward but how much does it take to stirr some of you up.

Bill the barsteward- ok lads and lassies do your worst, I have a thick skin.

PS If you had a list of recent systems you rate on a price/five star basis then it would make it easier for diddies like myself.

Lots of lovexxxx

Bill

Attached Files:

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Some of us just read and have a look!

As to all in ones - well I don't like them but look for the following.

RGB Scart out
    Decent Speakers or allow your own choice

TV - do you watch much non cable?

3. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Martin,,
    I am looking at a Toshiba36ZP38B Television £1380
    with a Panasonic SCHT 900 home cinema kit. £390

The above tele without the kit, using its own speakers £1380

Panasonic TX 32PSI 23 with the SCHT 900 - £1324

I can also get the Toshiba in Currys shop at £1460 with a Toshiba DVD player thrown in, but the DVD player does not have component video output or progressive scan, how important are these two?

I am not adverse to buying separate items its just I would not know what to buy. Any advice on separates and the above would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

PS I watch only cable, through NTL